Battery charger recommendation

Completely manual charging is one way to do it but with excellent fully automatic battery "in vehicle" options available I dont see why Id ever bother. Ive never come across a battery I cant charge or maintain yet.

The is one thing I like about the basic optimate 6 - no button pushing at all. Hand it to anyone and off you go. No way to make a mistake with a " mode selector".

If power goes out and comes back it simply resume the test/ charge /rest/ cycle and if you leave it on forever its simply becomes a maintainer.

UD

Last edited:
Noka battery tenders are excellent. You dont need a large one.
I like the fully auto chargers from harbor frieight that can do agm or standard batteries. Had one ten years and have used it maybe ten times.
You wont know you left a light on until its too late. So the trickle battery maintainer may be useless to you...

The small lithium car starters might be useful. But many are not very good.

I use a variable power supply, similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com//dp/B07M9N73YQ

Gives me complete control over what's going on, and useful for many other tasks.
Before I got a 10W solar panel to put on the dash I'd charge the battery every 3 months.
Bring the batt into my cool basement and set the supply to 14.5V and charge overnight, 10 hours or so.
Then turn up to 16V for 15 minutes for an equalizing charge.
Turn current down to zero before disconnecting to avoid sparks!

I also have an Exide 12V 10A auto charger I pulled out of a dumpster and replaced the chewed up line cord.
That one I loan out to people.
Why would you need to charge at all ?

I have three vehicles. Have been driving over 40 years. The only charging i have required is for lights left on.. or boats without a charge system that only charge parked at the dock..
My cars all have charge systems and never require additional charging. So I am asking what is broken on your vehicles that now require charging beyond normal running ??

I have three vehicles. Have been driving over 40 years. The only charging i have required is for lights left on.. or boats without a charge system that only charge parked at the dock..
My cars all have charge systems and never require additional charging. So I am asking what is broken on your vehicles that now require charging beyond normal running ??
A fully charged battery lasts longer than one that is partially discharged. How long did your batteries last? I'm on an AGM battery that's up to 14 years old at this point. I think some other guy who always had his battery on a maintainer is up to 18 years.

As for a battery charger, don't need to go too crazy, here's a decent 8 amp one that will automatically shut off once a battery is fully charged. I got one years ago for around $20. Inflation.

Also I killed the battery once leaving the lights on an 80 amp hour battery, it wasn't really down to 0 amps, it was charged up after 5 hours on an 8 amp charger so it took less than 40 amp hours to charge up a battery that was at about 7-8 volts. Of course it's possible that after several years, it wasn't good for 80 amps to begin with. Probably could have taken a voltage measurement to determine if the battery was fully charged.

Back