Intercooler Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
What do you guys do?

I've got mine off while replacing the starter and want to get this thing cleaned while it's out.

I plan to use undiluted Simple Green for the inside and outside. For the inside I'll add just as much water as is needed to slosh around and wash away the cleaner and residue. For the outside I'll use a low pressure hose from the bottom/back to the top/front.

oily intercoolers are common + good idea to clean them inside + outside

Originally Posted by benjy
oily intercoolers are common + good idea to clean them inside + outside

Just left it sitting for a bit and nothing drained to the elbow. I'm happy about that. There is an oily residue though.

Ive got about 15 oz of SG sloshed around inside and sprayed the outside. I'll let it sit for a bit and then rinse it all out, then put in in front of my dehumidifier to dry-out.

I already douched the inside with Simple Green concentrate and thoroughly rinsed it. I've got it in front of a dehumidifier exhaust, set on constant-on.

Man, you wouldn't believe the crap that came out of the OUTSIDE of the core. Even still, there are probably a million or so small bugs I'll never be able to get out from between the fins! The INSIDE effluent came out clear-green, which I guess is a good sign.

Luckily, this IC is designed to allow for easy draining (both sides point downward, allowing water in the core to drain almost completely. I'll obviously shake it angle it and do whatever I can to determine if there's any water left in. If there's any risk I'll pour in a bottle of alcohol and swash that around to pickup any residual water, then put it in front of the dehumidifier for another night.

Regardless, I've got a couple of days before this thing needs to go in. I'm tired today and haven't yet determined when I want to tackle lubricating the starter prior to reinstall. Best bet is that it (and then the inter-cooler) will be ready for install late tomorrow. A more likely scenario is that I'll hold off until Monday to install the starter.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I have used about a case of brake cleaner to clean out one on a Terminator before.

Jeez, why was it so bad? Did you just keep spraying until the effluent was clear?

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I have used about a case of brake cleaner to clean out one on a Terminator before.

Jeez, why was it so bad? Did you just keep spraying until the effluent was clear?

Yes, it was a modified engine with a different supercharger replacing the factory Eaton. Lots of oil in it. This was the one mounted under the supercharger, not the coolant heat exchanger in the front bumper.

There is a Simple Green HD that is purple in color. Only found at home depot I believe. Safe for aluminum and other "exotic" alloys. I've been using a gallon jug for years. I dilute it and spray on rims of my vehicles then scrub with a toilet brush. Works super.
I bring this up because I thought Simple Green can be harsh on aluminum?

Originally Posted by Hysilver
There is a Simple Green HD that is purple in color. Only found at home depot I believe. Safe for aluminum and other "exotic" alloys. I've been using a gallon jug for years. I dilute it and spray on rims of my vehicles then scrub with a toilet brush. Works super.
I bring this up because I thought Simple Green can be harsh on aluminum?

I've heard the same thing, which is why I didn't let the Simple Green sit very long before flushing it out. From what I recall, the concern was having it pool in some hard to wipe location and then cause issues.

I've had my 87 Buick Grand National since new and I've flushed the intercooler out several times over the years. I fill it with gasoline and dump. That gets all the oil out and no need to worry about water because any left over gas simply burns at start up.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I've had my 87 Buick Grand National since new and I've flushed the intercooler out several times over the years. I fill it with gasoline and dump. That gets all the oil out and no need to worry about water because any left over gas simply burns at start up.

What do you do with the excess gas? How dirty is your IC normally?

Originally Posted by GMBoy

What do you do with the excess gas? How dirty is your IC normally?

After dumping all the gas out that I can, whatever is left in there just burns thru the motor. The gas usually comes out medium black due to my stock turbo leaks a little.

Since installing a catch can on my Fiesta ST I no longer have oil in the piping or intercooler .

What do you guys do?

I've got mine off while replacing the starter and want to get this thing cleaned while it's out.

I plan to use undiluted Simple Green for the inside and outside. For the inside I'll add just as much water as is needed to slosh around and wash away the cleaner and residue. For the outside I'll use a low pressure hose from the bottom/back to the top/front.

Aluminum — Is it safe to use Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner on aluminum?

"When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner & Degreaser, and Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process.

Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner, Pro Series Simple Green Automotive Cleaner, and Simple Green Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances."

Thanks for that. I don't recall reading that exactly, but something similar. I thoroughly flushed the intercooler and have had dehumidified air blowing through the inside for the past several days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back