First Time Timesert Install Questions

I am working on a front Brembo caliper from a 2004 Subaru WRX STI. Upon removing the upper caliper bolt, the threads were damaged inside of the aluminum caliper. Supposedly this is a somewhat common issue on the early STI's due to a combination of galvanic corrosion and overtorquing. The threads are M12x1.5.

This was my first experience with using a Timesert and I am not the best at drilling. As instructed, I drilled out the damaged threads, drilled the counterbore, tapped new threads (for the insert) and installed the Timesert using the supplied tool. I used a few drops of Permatex orange before installing the insert. Pictures are below.

My concern is that my counterbore does not appear to be 100% straight. About 1/2 of the counterbore is probably 0.25mm-0.5mm deeper than the other half. However, when I tapped threads for the insert, I used a tap guide and those threads appear to be 100% straight. Based on my understanding of the counterbore's function, I think the counterbore is just a retainer for the lip on the Timesert.

So, will this work?

prior to install.jpg

front 1.JPG

front 2.JPG

rear.JPG

Follow up: I sold the caliper on ebay and followed up with the buyer several months later. The buyer informed me that the caliper worked fine.

Is this another name for a Helicoil?
Timserts and Helicoils are different approaches to solving the same stripped thread problem.
Helicoils are typically strain hardened, roll formed 304ss(other materials available also) in the shape of a spring coil.
Timeserts are thin walled solid bushings with internal and external threads.
Timeserts are typically considered stronger than helicoils but that comes at a higher purchase price.

I have found that both work well when installed properly.

Here is some info on Timeserts.

Here is some info on Helicoils.

Great. Fortunately for me I’ve never had to deal with a seized caliper bolt. Glad to see how you handled it in case I need to do it in the future.

Back