What are we doing with ourselves if were mandated to stay at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is home from work but I'm not. She puts in more hours and does business travel with her career so I'm the one who usually does the laundry and work around the house.
But since she's off work, she did the first mowing of the year on the zero turn on Thursday and cleaned the house windows inside and out.
I literally have no work to do. My younger sister wants to set up a badminton net and play me today.

Still working. Right now only 10 hours a day, on average. For every 4 workdays I get three days off. By off I mean I'm not out there or at an office or facility but I'm still spending a few hours every day and night on the computer and phone doing my job. My house has not been that clean in 5 years. I've sharpened all the pencils.

We're not quite "mandated" but close enough. Still allowed out but really pressured not to. I've been fortunate enough to be able to work from home, almost unabated in what I need to accomplish, so the job front for now is ok. So a good chunk of my workdays should be unchanged.

Swung into the gun store and got some new earmuffs, luckily I have space for a range--maybe I can progress from only being able to hit the inside of a barn to the outside. Few rounds per day sounds like good practice to me.

If the sun is shining, I'll be biking. Live in a rural setting and it's easy to avoid people. I still have a yard to rake up and other chores like that.

Wife has been setting up a studio in the basement and is almost all set there (I'll be running out for more flooring in a bit, thankfully home improvement stores are considered "essential"). Other random home projects will finally get done.

I finished painting my son's room. Hopefully the rain clears out by Monday, weather permitting I'll be detailing my vehicles. I have a feeling we're going to be out a lot longer than originally thought here in the Metro NY area.

As much as I would love to hit up every non emergency home project on my list almost all of them involve going to home depot/Lowe's/Menards for supplies.

I haven't been to any store in over 10 days.

I don't think going to the store right now for a non essential would be helping the situation.

I have been doing a lot of basement cleaning, yard work, furniture refinishing, some car repair/maintenance that I can order parts online to fix.

Oh and trying to potty train my 2 yr old ... That's the hardest one...

Last edited:
Pulled out my old router, upgraded it and reconfigured so that it's ready to go, in case my primary one fails, for whatever reason. Working from home, internet access is key, alas, the AT&T Uverse modem/gateway is still my single point of failure. I guess I could use my wireless data plan as backup since Verizon is giving away 15 extra GB of data this month.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I finished painting my son's room. Hopefully the rain clears out by Monday, weather permitting I'll be detailing my vehicles. I have a feeling we're going to be out a lot longer than originally thought here in the Metro NY area.

I think your right

I have still been working, life as usual with that but my wife had to close up shop and the kids are out of school. Started on some much needed cleaning, lots of home cooked meals, playing some wii sports with the kids, lots of time for the kids to ride horses and put quite a few miles on the vintage sleds.

So other than the possibility my wife will not be able to reopen her store and I have had to give up some of my Gucci voluntary overtime, we have been extremely fortunate and actually have taken full advantage of this time as a family. Plus we live on an acreage in the middle of nowhere, we are not cooped up in some apartment or urban jungle.

In fact, I am thinking of putting a few more miles on the sleds after work.

Still been working as I'm a maintenance technician at a shipping hub for one of the big 3 and deemed essential... for now. We're busier than ever, hopefully stays that way as I am certain I'd be first in line for layoffs.

But I haven't been going anywhere other than for supplies at the moment. I have plenty to do; all 4 vehicles need a serious detailing, mower deck needs rebuilding, etc. The Tacoma still needs some work getting it back into shape after 140K hard miles. Several painting projects need done on the house, along with a dresser and chairs that need stripped and redone. Garage needs some serious organizing, but I have a feeling that'll be last on the list. Also have a strange feeling I'll need to pull the engine/trans out of the SLK for some resealing and other misc. work.

Wife and I are both working from home some days and traffic is very light for both of us when we do have to hit the office.
Obviously fewer shopping expeditions, which I've found easy to adjust to.
We did make a wine run yesterday and the place was empty. We picked up a couple of cases of decent reds.
Red with our steak and fresh green beans dinner tonight or something sparkling?
I'll ask wifey which she'd prefer.
Anyway, we are spending more time at home and fortunately we don't get on one another's nerves at all.
Plenty to do here as well as plenty I've continued to put off.

Laid off for lack of work right now too. Catching up on some needed car maintenance and repairs as well as home. At least 2 more weeks home is what we are being told. We are directly connected to Ford but get to live off unemployment if they pay. Union pays the Ford teammates 90% of their normal pay. Not much incentive to get back to work on their part. It seems the unemployment people are telling me this is a natural disaster and they don't have to pay unemployment at all due to this. Very confusing and makes you want to just give up on the pain the put you through. Also supposed to be looking for new job but being told old job will be back in 2 more weeks.
mad.gif

I am going out of my mind, the weather has been lousy and does not allow for any garage work. The garage is my home away from home.

I try to do some cleaning in the basement but it bother my asthma and had to stop it.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by wwillson
Thank you for keeping this thread about what you are doing with your time at home, while NOT giving medical advice.

So the previous locked threads about "current situations" were all because of medical advice?
confused2.gif

I'm not a doctor, nor do I pretend to be one on this or any other thread.
Seems pretty hypocritical to me

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by wwillson
Thank you for keeping this thread about what you are doing with your time at home, while NOT giving medical advice.

So the previous locked threads about "current situations" were all because of medical advice?
confused2.gif

I'm not a doctor, nor do I pretend to be one on this or any other thread.
Seems pretty hypocritical to me

Well there's a difference between stating what you're doing to pass time as opposed to misinformed rumors and speculation about a virus.

My thread wasn't about "rumors and speculation about a virus".
It was simply about what you are not doing anymore (and as a result how are you passing the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back