Carb cleaner safe on plastics/rubber

I am keeping myself busy with the shutdown.

My 2hp honda outboard was left all winter with gas in it and let's just say, the jets are clogged and probably the float pin ...

I tried draining the old gas and added sea foam and fresh gas, no dice,

What is a good strong carb cleaner I use?

The plan is to drain the carb and the tank and add a little fresh gas and carb cleaner and let it sit. I am trying to avoid taking the carb apart

I had a problem like yours and took the carburetor off and soaked it in MMO for a few hours. Its been running fine, you could also just put a new carburetor on.

Take off the carb spray carb cleaner into holes where jets go, especially the pilot or low speed jet

You can prolly leave the top of carb on if it has one

If a passage is 100%clogged , spraying something isn't going to open it up

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brian123
I had a problem like yours and took the carburetor off and soaked it in MMO for a few hours. Its been running fine, you could also just put a new carburetor on.

The MMO soak would work but he's trying to avoid taking it off. hit it hard a couple of times with a can of carb cleaner/CRC/Berryman's.. then run a tank of B12+ fuel to finish off the cleaning. I have to do this same thing to my old Toro every couple of years..

Last edited:
A little late to the party, but one old school trick I've used to clean carburetors that aren't too far gone and heavily corroded inside is to pull them off and "boil" them in a pot of water for a couple hours. Not really at a full rolling boil though, just under. Take off any plastic linkages ETC too.

The insides of the carb tend to get coated in a base layer of gasoline varnish first before anything else. A low boil loosens all that up along with any gunk on top that's stuck to the varnish too. Then just blast it out with carb cleaner and you're usually back in business. Obviously do this OUTDOORS on like a portable electric burner or hot plate, not on a gas stove or else there's a fire risk from the gasoline vapors, and use a dedicated or throw away pot that won't be used for food ever again. 2nd hand stores like Goodwill or yard sales are a good source for cheap pots.

Back