Oil stashes

Motor oil is a commodity. Oil is getting cheaper and cheaper, not more expensive. The good deals are not going away either there are deals going on daily and weekly, right on this forum today and everywhere else. If your ‘stash' was such a good deal why are you adding to it?

I only keep a one year stash. That amounts to 5 five quart jugs and three filters.
When some of the stashers and hoarders here start reading how strong the new SP / GF6 / Gen 3 oils are later this year, the Items For Sale Board Room here will be swamped with good oil clearance sales.

I want the best & latest & greatest oils for my rides. Some of the Stashers will also..... leading to thinning out their stashes.

Originally Posted by painfx
I got a 1/2 jug of Mobil 1, does that count?

Yes. That's a good lawn mower stash.
Now based on that, I need to add 12 quarts to my original statement (just checked garden shed) ... boat has only 4 !!!
See, I'm normal ...

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I still have a 100+ quart stash. In all honesty, the folks I volunteer with at the local food bank and homeless veterans center have cars in average/worse shape than mine. So, I do oil changes for them and few farmer friends. I'm on the handshake/barter system and made a lot of great friends this way.

That's just me

I do the same thing. Many of my family and friends don't take maintenance serious because it is not their priority. Quick lube and dealer places around me give good service, but are expensive. I have been able to inspire my BIL to start maintaining his yard equipment. I buy oil and filters mainly online and at an affordable price. BITOG and its wealth of knowledge has helped me make educated decisions on purchases. I built a long solid shelf in my barn to visually store my oil, because I too sometime bury good stuff. Makes you feel good to help someone in need, and do a quality job. VVT solenoids are picky when it comes to long term lack of maint. Timing chains too. Besides oil, I keep on hand enough gear oil, trans fluid, antifreeze etc.

I use approx 25 gal of motor oil and 15 filters / year

I'll rephrase what I meant by "handshake"

I meant I take people at their word since we are in a "health problem" at the moment.

762fermeandyou: the folks I work with at shelters are kinda poor, so I'm trying to pay it forward any chance I get and often
smile.gif

I have about 20 5 quart jugs of mostly synthetic. It seems as when the price of a barrel of oil goes down oil gets less expensive as well which it should be. I really don't have room for any extra oil or filters at this time but I have a difficult time walking past a super good oil steal.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I want the best & latest & greatest oils for my rides. Some of the Stashers will also..... leading to thinning out their stashes.

Not me. SP/GF6 will do nothing more for any of my vehicles than my current stash of SN/SN+ oil does.
If the new SP spec comes out when there are rebates available, I will probably stock up some more because that means another round of clearance oils for free after rebate.

I do agree though that some buy oil that they have no use for. I don't buy oil I can't use.
That said, there are not a lot of oil viscosities I can't use (I can use 0w-20, 5w-20, 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, SAE 30, 5w-40, 10w-40, 15w-40, and even 20w-50 in my brothers Harley).

Originally Posted by stockrex
IMHO

Stash > 200 Gallons

Yes Sir, gallons, if you are counting in qts, take a number and go to the back of the line and wait to called ;-)

I remember members here with stash in excess of 400 gallons of oil.

I bought 240 Gallons of Delvac 1300 15w40, it was essentially free after rebates do to the wm.com pricing error, I will never do that again, it takes up a tremendous amount of space,but at least I made $1000 when I sold it.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by painfx
I got a 1/2 jug of Mobil 1, does that count?

Yes. That's a good lawn mower stash.
Now based on that, I need to add 12 quarts to my original statement (just checked garden shed) ... boat has only 4 !!!
See, I'm normal ...

No no no no....far from it...

You ain't normal 4wd
lol.gif

Learned when I lived in Central PA how hard it was to get maintenance items geograpgically, and then the price would be at a premium. I have:

2003 F350 V10
2007 F350 V8
1998 S10 V6
2005 S500
2006 S500
2008 335i
2014 RDX

I never have to worry about what I have , what it costs, etc. I buy oil at 20 cents on the retail dollar, and it well worth it to me. Anytime I want to change oil, I am always ready to go. Very efficient. These are just a sample of what I have in my garage, this latest purchase was waiting to sorted and shelved.

20191124_171301.jpg

20191124_171307.jpg

20191124_171312.jpg

20191124_171312(1).jpg

Originally Posted by atikovi
It's all about price. Grabbing a great sale price that might not come again for a while. Name brand synthetic like Havoline for under $3 a quart. I bought 6 gallons. AC Delco Dexron 6 for $3.46 a quart delivered. I bought 4 cases. It's not like they have an expiration date. My stash in the laundry room.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Atkovi, you must be single. A partner or spouse would never tolerate a laundry room like that.

My stash isn't much. Just an extra 5 jug for each car i have, plus family cars.

But currently low, so right now only 3 - 5QT jugs of 5w30. I usually get whatever is on sale.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
GON, that's what I call a stash!

Norman, that about ten percent of it....

I am shopping now for a no where to be found deal on Mobil 1 ATF. It goes for about ten dollars per quart, I bought a handful at Pep Boys at locations they were hutting down retail sales for 40 percent off. But every time I go to a store I search for the M1 ATF hoping to find a score.

When I lived in PA, I paid a $1,000 for all the odd lots of oil, brake cleaner, you name it from a wholesale auto parts warehouse. Was the greatest things I ever did as I was rebuilding numerous vehicles, and no matter what i needed I had it. Was three full size pickup truck and trailer loads full. When I was transferred to Utah, I left it all behind, I have super regretted leaving it behind, but was afraid of leakage on the household goods. Utah has a awesome economy- very hard to find deals here, unlike Pennsylvania which was deal a rama.

Back