PCV Valve Thread Sealant???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
14 Forester XT ~78k miles

1. Original (OEM) PCV valve came out with whitish funk on the outermost thread of the valve and area where the valve seats. I'm guessing it's thread sealant. I've never seen a gasket or sealant on a PCV valve.

2. The old valve internals barely moved within the valve. Even after soaking it overnight in carb cleaner it wasn't much better. I bought a new one from the dealer for the STEAL OF A DEAL $22 and it rattles just like it should

With so many random videos and posts claiming their valve came out at X miles and still perform as new I wasn't expecting this one to be so gunked up.

3. I'm going to just let the sealant/gunk be and install the new valve. I don't think it's worth getting junk in the engine for something that likely won't affect anything.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

While at the dealer parts department I also picked up the PCV valve for the Legacy. I just need to figure out where it's at!

My 15 year old PCV valve quarter-turns into a grommet in a valve cover and said grommet has shrunk.

I was wondering if a replacement grommet would be easy to install (after breaking out the old one) or if a wipe of some sealer would be smart.

I don't want a sealer which sets up as a glue would.

I just replaced the Legacy's PCV valve and there was no sealant. UNFORTUNATELY, there looked to be sections of block threads broken and caught within the valve's threads; just two half-turns worth at two different locations. I didn't realize this until I had already snugged down on the new PCV valve. It snugged up fine.

NEITHER PCV valve seated fully down as much as the old ones seemed to be. I could have tightened each vehicle's valve more, but they were hand-tight and I didn't want to risk stripping threads. I hope that's OK. No room for a torque wrench, unfortunately.

What's interesting, is that all of the vacuum lines are clamped on the Forester XT (turbo), and most are on the Legacy. One vacuum hose which is not clamped is, you guessed it, the line the PCV valve. I guess the valve itself doesn't need to be cranked down on, if vacuum and a snug fit keeps the Legacy's hose from leaking vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back