how hard is it to change struts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CincyDavid
The car has 110k miles on it and the front sits a little lower than I would like. I have to imagine the springs are kaput as well.

Then quick struts are the move.

Due to defective quick struts out of the box, I had enough practice that I could change out both quick struts in less than 40 minutes in my Corolla. The rears took about 30 minutes each. It was several years ago but it was a very easy process. I didn't get alignment done. Didn't need it.

Quick struts are awesome
smile.gif

The job is very easy with quick struts!

Unfortunately, they seem to make them only for the front but not the rear of your Saturn
cry.gif

So if you don't need to do the rear shocks yet, it might buy you some time, and they might actually make rear quick struts by then

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I would not be comfortable that the spring rate on the quick strut was same as factory.

Especially on a rare bird.

But if the current springs show sag or incorrect ( low) chassis ref. height then go with the pre-assembled.

Seeing as this was built on the same platform as the Opel Vectra A Monroe in all probability sourced the springs from either Suplex or Lesjofors, there are very few spring makers that make low production pieces like these usually only one of the OE manufactures.
A good contact of mine is a Delco engineer, he told me the Moog, Delco, Monroe, Raybestos springs all come from the same house. Looking at all the markings and rates on all those brands I have to believe he is telling it right.

I'm not sure about your particular vehicle, but I've replaced struts on a previous '97 Legacy and a buddy's 2000's Maxima. It would have helped if we had the correct spring compressors, but overall the jobs were SUPER easy. To note, though, I had help for with the '97 Legacy, since it was my first time. My buddy with the Maxima was there as my helper for that job. Having two people usually makes things easier, even if most steps don't require more than one person.

JUST LOOKED: RockAuto had rears listed. Above the "strut/spring/assy." listing is the word "strut" IIRC.

I saw the rears mixed in with some fronts. I chose 2005 ....forget which model....LS1?

Since the Saturn is a beater (hope I didn't offend you), quick struts are cheap and the easiest to install.

If you will be doing struts on other vehicles in the future, then invest in a spring compressor so you can install higher quality dampers than what come on the quick struts.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Youtube

First off I would never attempt this type of repair, I neither have the desire, tools or space but I get it's an easy job for someone that does. I ran across this video a few weeks back when I was pricing struts for my Buick and thought it was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL0eb00UPgM

Yeah, I always just let an indy do it. They have more tools than I do plus the space and experience to do it. I remember doing the rears on my car once, the indy was smart enough to realize that the pinch bolts might snap so he stopped as he didn't want to get into it if that happened. Took it to another indy who wasn't worried about it and it turned into a minor nightmare but that guy had more tools and resources than the first guy so he did finally get it done but he basically lost money on the job as it took him way longer than he originally thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back