Nothing ever easy-HELP! 1998 Mustang GT oil filter adapter

so I need to change the oil filter adapter gasket on my 1998 GT 4.6L (common issue) and I get under there to remove it (I've watched several good YouTube videos) and the housing is different than all the other Mustang videos. The ones in the video look like this with all the bolts easily accessible
[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

and mine is like this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

there is no way to get at the bolts because of 1. the short coolant elbow neck and 2. the power steering pump/hose/bracket is in the way. [censored]?!?!?!? WHY IS MINE DIFFERENT?

Mine appears to be like the Cobra or Mach1 two piece design? But is it??? If so, how do I take the two pieces apart????
[Linked Image from cfc7329ad537523a5de1-b21544d490ba797ec9de9d17e947de3d.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com]

Last edited:
Most manufacturers seem to use either 12mm or 14 mm for the filter adapters.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Sweet, now, the o-ring kit for $12 he mentions???

I suspect o-rings are standard sizes. Take it in somewhere that sells them and see about getting some.

Or here https://lmr.com/item/LRS-262675/mus...-T4zndHQHnyIuKj5GRVTGJrI5HkaAjIZEALw_wcB

Or get a whole bunch of them and find some that fit: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200324964_200324964?cm_mmc=Google-LIA&utm_source=Google_LIA&utm_medium=Construction%20%3E%20Hardware&utm_campaign=UST&utm_content=179213&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyPbzBRDsARIsAFh15JbUm1SQdiy7b9WyJuRewPlmITPUAZHN0lpDKQkhnD073TdHkbzmO-YaAi-AEALw_wcB

I got the oil filter thread portion out with a T60 bit. Now, I can't get the lower radiator hose off the now loose housing. How can I free this old hose up from it's death grip on the hose fitting? Yes, I moved the clamp off the fitting.

I got it all apart finally...whew! what a messy job.
here's pics of the components and also pic pointing to where the stock gasket fractured causing the oil leaks

Interesting, thank you for the pictures! 150k'ish on my 1996 without that issue, so far... Course, I haven't started the car up in over a year now either
frown.gif

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Sweet, now, the o-ring kit for $12 he mentions???

PM member BDCardinal.
He's a Ford parts desk guy and he'll get you the exact part numbers you need.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
F6AZ-6840-AA Adapter to Block gasket
F8ZZ-684-0AA O-Ring for coolant, small one
F6ZZ-6L621-AA Large O-Ring

total shipped to 48706? Thanks! I have the gasket already. I need the O-rings only. There are several. I need the one on the filter screw, the large orange one, the black one for coolant pipe, and I think there's one more too. Like this:
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

I degreased the parts and got them wiped off and drying right now!

Last edited:
and if anyone cares, I made of video of degreasing and testing out several products to see what would work best:

so my O-ring kit finally showed up after being lost by USPS for several days
mad.gif

However, when I went to tighten the housing back onto the adapter with the oil tube, it wouldn't completely compress the housing flush because the top portion apparently wouldn't slip into place properly, so today I'm try getting a mallet in there to tap the top part over the black O-ring of the adapter and try to re-tighten the thing flush. It better work...

You did a great job on the degreasing. But a little bit of fresh grease or motor oil on the o-ring might help ease it all back together.
I would pull it all apart inspect the o-ring and give it a light coat of clean oil before I got out the mallet.

Back