head rest stain. how to get out

my daughter tucson has a stain on the passenger headrest. about a 4" diameter. looks to be some sort of oil . maybe from hair oil . i have tried to get it out with all purpose degreaser . even tried to suck it out with my vac. still there she has a light gray interior so i can still see the stain

So what else can i try to get it out?

Is it easy to remove the head rest? Perhaps get one from a pull it yard and clean it. If its cloth, I would try simple green, or 409 , and let it soak then hose it with water. If you can remove it, maybe soak it with non pumice GOJO and then spray it with hot water after it soaks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99
What's the material? cloth or leather or vegan leather?

cloth. i took it off and tried cleaning with purple power and then suck it up with my spotter. still there . i think maybe its in the foam underneath now. too new for a yard 2019.

Was someone using Soul Glo? Try a presoak of Dawn dishsoap and water, let it sit for 10 minutes, then rinse. I use it to wash up after working on cars, removes grease and oil better than pumice soap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Folex. I just had to do this exact ting on a grey cloth interior headrest last week.

thanks i will try all the suggestions

An oil stain on the head rest? It could be worse. I'd use warm water with a little dish soap on a sponge, blotting up the cleaning solution with paper towels. Repeat until the stain comes out.

I've had good luck with Resolve foaming cleaner for carpets or pet clean up. It has worked well on car interior issues and fabrics. Easy to find in the stores, no discoloring. Shake, Spray, let foam sit a few minutes, brush to lift anything out, or wipe with cloth, blot dry.
Don't go too strong or extreme with other cleaners or chemicals, start with the lightest touch or mild of cleaners.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Folex. I just had to do this exact ting on a grey cloth interior headrest last week.

I agree but use it on the entire area not just the stain. If used in one single area it can lighten the color slightly. Use terry cloth to work it in. Second app may be required but let it dry completely first.

The way I do mine is liberally spray it on, and immediately go right behind it with a strong shop vac. Sucks the mucky mixture right out before it has a chance to dry.

Back