Oil stashes

I keep seeing folks on here talking about building up their oil supplies at the house. Why have a large supply ( more than is needed for the next O.C. ) at the house that will be several years old by the time you use it? Wouldn't you want to be using the latest oil formulations in your vehicles instead of oil bought years ago? I don't keep more than an O.C. worth around. Just don't want to take up too much space with stuff I won't use for years. What is the thinking behind a LARGE supply at the house? Just wondering.

It's all about price. Grabbing a great sale price that might not come again for a while. Name brand synthetic like Havoline for under $3 a quart. I bought 6 gallons. AC Delco Dexron 6 for $3.46 a quart delivered. I bought 4 cases. It's not like they have an expiration date. My stash in the laundry room.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

I still have a 100+ quart stash. In all honesty, the folks I volunteer with at the local food bank and homeless veterans center have cars in average/worse shape than mine. So, I do oil changes for them and few farmer friends. I'm on the handshake/barter system and made a lot of great friends this way.

That's just me

All good Adam … but a "Bluetooth fist bump" is safer than a handshake these days !

Well, I have around 80 quarts at $2/quart … this is majority PAO or GTL (M1 & RGT) stuff that ran up to $10/quart when introduced …
It did not sell and when stores cleared it out … I was there this time. There is also some VME … not sure what it's made from but it's a trusted brand who's main guy chaired the committee during the last few years (he passed away).
I also got some and sold at price to BiL who's been working OT.
Lastly, that other stash gets shared freely with my family … six vehicles … the two V8's hold 8 … others 6 to 4 and change. It's not extreme in all cases.

Up in the Great White North (aka Canada) we don't get deals as good as our American friends. I usually build up a stash every 2-3 years.

This past Black Friday, Canadian Tire had Pennzoil Platinum 5 Liter jugs on sale for $23 Canadian ($16 USD) with a $10 mail in rebate. I already have 5 more jugs of VWB that I picked up back in 2018 at Walmart for under $12 a jug.

For most of us, we can't pass up a good deal and we don't want to pay full price when we need to do an oil change. I know some people that don't even have a quart of oil to do top ups at home if needed.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that many here poke fun at themselves for being obsessive.

My few jugs of oil are just that, few. They're in hand for both price and convenience.

CURRENTLY:
3 jugs of 0W-20 for 2 'family' cars.
2 jugs of 5W-20 for a 'client's' car.
3 jugs of 0W-40 for my car because you often can't find it easily.
3 jugs of 5W-30 for 2 twucks.
This 11 jug stock will be 9 before mid-April.

One pinhole in one jug would serve to support the OP's general theory.

I get having a stash and getting a good deal but what I don't get is when they buy it and it's not even the right grade or spec for what they need, but then we wouldn't have all them posts about mixing oils.

I don't remember the last time I paid full price for oil and I only have what I need for the next OC. Couple months before I need oil I just start looking around and something usually comes up, besides it I have to pay full price it's only a few bucks.

Current stash is two jugs of Advanced for my annual April OC.

Last edited:
When we had 4 vehicles to maintain, I was buying oils on sale/discontinued/closeout...and w/rebate. Often getting my oils for less than $1/at for full syn and even le$$ for dino or blends. So I was ending up with 80 or more qts at one time. I couldn't pass up cheap oil especially a full synthetic that I often made a couple of bucks on.

Mainly because the oil was on sale at the store and the store & mfg were both offering rebates that could be combined. I remember one time, buying enough Pennzoil Platinum that I ended up making $8 on the purchase.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
..........the folks I volunteer with at the local food bank and homeless veterans center have cars in average/worse shape than mine. So, I do oil changes for them and few farmer friends. I'm on the handshake/barter system and made a lot of great friends this way.

That's just me

Well done, Sir!
thumbsup2.gif

Why do I care if oil is a few years old?
Look at my sig, none of my vehicles require an oil newer than SM (even my two 2018 vehicles, which allow for SL), with my '02 F150 being SJ rated.
My current stash is all at least SN, with a bunch of it being SN+. So any vehicle I buy in the next 5 years will be fine (and any vehicle I buy in the next 5 years will be an older used vehicle not requiring anything more than SN+).

My thinking is saving money.
My stash is full of synthetic oil with an average cost of ~$0.30/qt.
I never intended to get a stash, and I keep dropping my price point to buy oil.
I now will only buy oil if it is free, which is how I ended up with 70+ qts of RGT (being paid to buy it.).

I recently sold off about 50 qts of oil on Facebook (I had over 200 qts). I made about $70 profit off of it. If you figure that into my oil cost, my average is ~$0.05/qt.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by blupupher

Short of shoplifting, how do you manage that?

I don't know about blupupher, but I paid $0.00/qt for 8 jugs of RGT 0/5W-20 during the AZ clearance. That was a good rebate
cheers3.gif

IMHO

Stash > 200 Gallons

Yes Sir, gallons, if you are counting in qts, take a number and go to the back of the line and wait to called ;-)

I remember members here with stash in excess of 400 gallons of oil.

I still buy the oil [need to talk to my therapist about it] but I give it away at the price I paid, I pass on the savings to neighbors who will USE it and appreciate it.
I keep a healthy 100 gallons for strategic stock pile.

Recent AA clearance I picked up 70 gallons of oil, I kept 5 and passed remaining to my neighbor who changes his own vehicles, kids, brother, cousin. He and I are the only ones who change our own oil in my super snobbish neighborhood.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by blupupher

Short of shoplifting, how do you manage that?

Sales, rebates, pricing errors, clearance (especially the clearance oils with active rebates).

Originally Posted by stockrex
IMHO

Stash > 200 Gallons

Yes Sir, gallons, if you are counting in qts, take a number and go to the back of the line and wait to called ;-)

LOL, yea, I remember the first time I realized I could count my stash in gallons instead of quarts.
Before I sold off some of the stash, I could actually say I had a barrel of oil (a barrel of oil is 42 gallons, just FYI) and then some.

You also know it is bad when you clean your garage find a few jugs of oil that you did not even know you had.
Also is bad when you keep a spreadsheet of your stash (which is how I know what my cost per qt is, since I track all that).

Back