Washer stuck between the water pump housing and timing chain cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a friend change out the thermostat housing gasket on my brand new boat engine that was leaking and he dropped both of the washers when pulling it off. One landed in the bilge which i retreived, the other where I described so in the title. He said it was fine and wont hurt anything after I tried getting it out for probably 10 minutes. I might take compressed air and shove that in it. It just drives me crazy. He just went and found another same sized washer and put her back together. Am i being paranoid? My only concern is that it comes loose and gets jammed into a pulley or something when running.

Originally Posted by Trav
It isn't down with the timing chain is it? That would cause me some concern but if just between an external cover forget it.

Between the cover. The timing chain cover that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Magnetic pick up tool . The kind with the tiny magnet on an telescoping arm or claw type as mentioned. Get a good one it will last till you lose it. The cheapies are not so great and fall apart fairly easy. I can't see much worrying about it though really. It won't hurt anything and will probably end up in the bilge eventually anyway...Ž

Originally Posted by Driz
Magnetic pick up tool . The kind with the tiny magnet on an telescoping arm or claw type as mentioned. Get a good one it will last till you lose it. The cheapies are not so great and fall apart fairly easy. I can't see much worrying about it though really. It won't hurt anything and will probably end up in the bilge eventually anyway...Ž

This- magnetic pickup tool, or a claw-type tool.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Long-Flex-...ol+grabber&qid=1585376477&sr=8-5

This combines both types into one tool
https://www.amazon.com/VASTOOLS-Fle...l+grabber&qid=1585376507&sr=8-13

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Get help for your OCD.

It's determination. There is a difference. I'll get that washer out at some point and it will go back on. It's cadium plated so it's not going to rust.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Get help for your OCD.

It's determination. There is a difference. I'll get that washer out at some point and it will go back on. It's cadium plated so it's not going to rust.

I'm with you!

Sorta like me trying to get the plastic transmission cover back on my Lexus. There's that one 10mm that I can barely reach. I keep going
until I get it. I go till my hand cramps. Leave and come back. IT DOES GET ON.

Last edited:
Do you have a strong magnet and a fishing pole? You might get it out that way..
If you have some spare time at the moment like so many of us do, maybe get the tools out and you'll be happy that you did it right.
I'm not familiar with the engine or the boat so might be wrong but if there is any possibility of it getting into your timing gear/belt/chain then you should probably go get it out of there ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back