Subaru and 27psi bypass Filter selection

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

OP, ignore the haters. Fram says the 7317 is the correct application for this engine, and if it wasn't, they'd have changed it by now since removing an application is cheaper than class-action lawsuits. So, use it if you want!
thumbsup2.gif

This. I have an '18XT Forester and a '19 Crosstrek. Both get the Ultra 7317.

Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

OP, ignore the haters. Fram says the 7317 is the correct application for this engine, and if it wasn't, they'd have changed it by now since removing an application is cheaper than class-action lawsuits. So, use it if you want!
thumbsup2.gif

This. I have an '18XT Forester and a '19 Crosstrek. Both get the Ultra 7317.

Full discloser - I have used the Fram Ultra 7317 multiple times on my Subaru, and Mazda. ( Technically, the WRONG filter for both ... ) Seemed like the oil stayed cleaner for a longer period. Maybe ... Otherwise, the filter seemed to work just fine. And I like the black grip top.

However, I do wonder what Subaru would say IF an under warranty engine failed catastrophically, with a Fram Ultra oil filter gleaming so golden on the engine. Would they say, fine, the oil was changed, we will fix that. Or would they play hardball, and say talk to Fram, we aren't covering this failure under warranty. Too bad so sad.

I always use oe filters on vehicles under warranty. The Honda Pilot gets Honda filters for now. Just because.

Originally Posted by geeman789

However, I do wonder what Subaru would say IF an under warranty engine failed catastrophically, with a Fram Ultra oil filter gleaming so golden on the engine. Would they say, fine, the oil was changed, we will fix that. Or would they play hardball, and say talk to Fram, we aren't covering this failure under warranty. Too bad so sad.

They likely wouldn't say anything about the filter, unless the filter itself imploded or completely blocked flow. If this was the case, and you were within the time and mileage prescribed by the owner's manual and/or what Fram specifies, the dealer MIGHT tell you that you, the owner, and Fram are on the hook, at which point you'd have to contact Fram and get them involved...You'd also likely have a lawyer at this point, too.

In the end, whether a filter implodes or blocks flow would have more to do with a major manufacturing defect and nothing at all to do with its bypass setting.

Finally, if Subaru thought this was a problem, they would explicitly specify a bypass setting or acceptable aftermarket filters that can be used in the owner's manual. In other words, how in the heck would the lay person be expected to know what a filter's bypass setting is compared to OE?

Originally Posted by gathermewool
In other words, how in the heck would the lay person be expected to know what a filter's bypass setting is compared to OE?

Ding ding ding! Ignore the keyboard jockeys. If the filter manufacturer says it's the correct filter for your application, end of story. It's just like the "Which of these xxx oils is better?" ALL OF THEM THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS.

What is frustrating is that this oil filter bypass spec is from 11 years ago, model year 2009, and it applies specifically to the filter that Subaru had built for their OEM usage with 5w30 conventional oil. The Subaru OEM oil filter, aka Fram in a blue can, was designed to be a cheap mass produced item. They then used cheap, flow restrictive filter media and arguably still do to this day as compared to the more advanced free flowing synthetic media of a filter like the Fram Ultra. When I worked for Subaru it was explained to me by someone that was familiar with the engineering that the most important variable with the oil filter was that it could handle the oil pump's max output of 14.5 gallons per minute. What I presume to think is that in the instance that enough oil cannot be forced through the media that it will trigger a bypass event and also that 23.2psi is about the most that the media can handle. The filter bypass is there to protect the oil flow and the media.

In regards to why the Fram Extra Guard PH7317 has a lower bypass spec than the Subaru OEM filter, presuming that they are the same filter aside from the bypass spec... well perhaps they are not the exact same aside from the bypass spec? I think about Fram's 9688 series oil filters and how in recent years Fram tweaked all filters in the 9688 series specifically to accomodate Hyundai's burst pressure. In light of something like this and other enhancements Fram has made on all their product lines in recent years I have come to speculate that the Subaru OEM oil filter is built to 2009 specs with little enhancement. Perhaps the PH7317 has a much higher flow rate than the Subaru OEM so much so that it can utilize a lower bypass spec just like the Fram Ultra and Tough Guard.

It seems logical that the bypass is set by the filter maker from an internet poster engineer's standpoint like me. But the fly in the ointment here is Subaru tells Fram to use a higher bypass in the filters they order from them. Wonder what Subaru engineers are thinking, seems it isn't yet known. Actual question here.
Like most decisions I think it has to do with the almighty dollar. Subaru told Fram what it needed/wanted, Fram came back with their menu of prices for various options. Subaru likely saw the cost of getting better filtration and said, **** it, we'll get the cheap media and crank up the bypass pressure.

Back