Ford vs Chevy

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by mattd

I'm looking for a 6.0L Ford Excursion, That way I'll own Chevrolet's, Ford, & Toyota's
crazy2.gif

Oh no not a 6.0
crackmeup2.gif

Better get your flame suit on.

Those are awesome trucks good luck on your search!

I know where a 2007 SRW F350 4x4 is for cheap (Been rolled) with @ 40,000 miles, So I could buy a '03/'04 Excursion & do most the updates using the '07 along with studs, remote oil cooler & EGR delete.
The '07 has been sitting for 10 years in storage though....

I think the Coil Spring/Trailing Arm front suspension swap would be cool using the '07 Super Duty front frame section & leafs/rear differential. Top it off with some King Ranch alloys

Sounds like you have a good plan! I'd just go through the engine if it's been sitting that long. At least full re-seal and pop a few rod caps to check the bearings. Roll in new mains if needed. But if you can get it cheap enough it'd be worth it!. Coil sprung suspension is definitely a more comfortable ride as you stated! Swap the later 5R trans in too with it the hard parts and spline counts are much better/stronger!

Originally Posted by BlakeB
My Dads last 2 new ford trucks (2012 and a 2013 both with 6.7 Powerstrokes)had to be towed to the dealer with under 20k miles. The 2012 had 11k miles when it flat out quit due to a NOX sensor (best I can remember) in the tail pipe going bad. It displayed a "please pull over safely" message on the DIC and Immediately quit in the middle of the road without giving enough time to pull over, we're lucky that it happened on a back road and not on the interstate or trying to merge somewhere. Constant emissions issues and reduced power. The 2012 had the rear pinion seal replaced 3 times in the 20k miles we kept it for. Traded it for the 2013 and had a lot of trouble with it as well, it was kept for 80k miles and was a headache the entire time we owned it, it would have reduced power constantly... take it in and they'd tell us it had a vacuum leak and that they had it fixed. The issues would resume before we could make the 30 mile drive home from the dealership. The 13 also developed a bad oil leak at the turbo, I believe they replaced the turbo under warranty. The 2015 and up Fords use a different turbo and are supposed to be more reliable, but I have no experience with the newer 6.7 Powerstrokes.

We finally got fed up with the constant run around at the Ford dealer and he traded it for a 2016 LML Duramax. Over 3 years later and 52k miles (3,700 engine hours) we haven't had any issues with it other than a couple of recalls. He says it's his favorite truck he's ever had.

In December of 2018 I bought a 2017 L5P Duramax and it has been trouble free as well. 21k miles and about 1,000 engine hours on it so far. I bought it with 10k miles.

I hear that the new Powerstrokes with the 10 speeds are pretty good trucks but I'm not real hot on Ford after the last 2 Ford trucks we had. Bottom line, if either of us were in the market for a new truck I think we'd both look at GM first. I test drove a Dodge before I bought my Duramax... I wanted to like it but just didn't. My Dad had an 03 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins (bought new), it was powerful but did not hold up well. The newer Dodges are are said to be better in the reliability department.

All of our trucks have been emissions compliant and I think that was the majority of the problem with the Ford trucks, they do in cylinder regens instead of the 9th injector setup like GM and Dodge are using. Mattd on here can give some insight on the Powerstrokes, he works on them all the time.

Once my 6.0 rots away, I will be buying a 6.7. That I am sure of. The emissions equipment may or may not be there depending on what the state laws here are at the time as far as emissions testing...

Anyway, as far as the new 6.7s, other than the in cylinder dosing regens, have been reliable thus far. The most hours I have seen so far on a 2017+ are around 8000. Only engine repair has been a revised CCV separator. Had another 2018 Truck survive 80$ worth of gasoline driven a few miles with no ill effects (yet). No other emissions equipment failure. We have a 2013 with over 22,000 hours and just until recently had ZERO engine repairs (turbocharger, up pipes, and exhaust manifolds). The engine is tired though as it has quite a bit of blow by.

As far as the 2020 models with the 10 speeds, I have yet to see one. I personally don't like a 10 speed gearbox. I will likely own a 2019 MY when I go shopping , unless they come up with a 9th injector for DPF regens.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Who cares....Buy what makes you happy/fills your needs!

I'm looking for a 6.0L Ford Excursion, That way I'll own Chevrolet's, Ford, & Toyota's
crazy2.gif

Hahaha !!

Proud for ya my friend
Welcome to the club soon !! ðŸ‘

With that said....My 2006 Chevrolet LBZ Duramax has been the best/most reliable vehicle I've ever owed. 400,000+ miles & 23,000 engine hours with NO major repairs! It's just getting worn out & it's not worth repairing if something expensive did go wrong.

Replacing it with even a 200,000 mile similarly equipped LBZ would run $15,000 or better, Who's to say it would be as good?

LMM Duramax trucks are a little cheaper, But they have DPF & I don't really care for GMT900 trucks.

Thought about doing a Duramax 2500 Suburban, But my LBZ is tired, Even if I rebuilt it....What if the crankshaft breaks? Which is known to happen! CP3 pump, Injectors, & Turbo. On top of rebuilding the Allison 1000 which has been great but I KNOW the C1, C2, & C3 clutch packs have wear! For sure the C3's are distressed from the way it's been shifting of late.

This '07 F350 for cheap got the cogs turning on the Excursion project as I can get ahold of a '03/'04 Excursion with engine problems cheap. I know of a '03 & a '04 sitting in the back of used car lots right now. The '03 is pretty clean & the engine is locked-up.

I have mostly owned GM sedans for quite a few years . This probably had more to do with price , than anything else .

As for as pick up trucks , I have driven ford and Chevy company trucks , for years . Not much difference from my perspective .

Not much interested in Dodge / Ram products .

Truck, Ford. Car (the only car I would consider at this time would be a Corvette) Chevy. Crossover or SUV, neither...

If we're talking maintenance and repairs, it's application and part specific.

On my Grand Marquis, I can swap water pumps, thermostats and alternators all night with sunglasses on, but on my Envoy with the 4.2L, the same tasks will take twice as long.

Then again, if I'm pulling an intake manifold or valve covers off, I'll take the Envoy with the 4.2L over the Grand Marquis or the Ford 4.0L SOHC equipped Explorer any day of a week.

As previously mentioned, whatever floats your boat.

Sure, or we could talk about Ford PTU's on some of the more recent top sellers …
And just how long they thought it was perfectly fine …

Me,it depends on the model. The only Ford I would ever own would be a manual transmission V8 Mustang (which has always been my favorite domestic sports car). I prefer the Ford V8 over the GM V8. GM in my experience builds superior passenger cars. Our family and friends had a lot of GM 3800s over the years and imo are the best engines ever made.

But I'm an import guy (Japanese) all the way!!

This '07 F350 for cheap got the cogs turning on the Excursion project as I can get ahold of a '03/'04 Excursion with engine problems cheap. I know of a '03 & a '04 sitting in the back of used car lots right now. The '03 is pretty clean & the engine is locked-up.

Do it. Ford used to know how to build really good SUVs of all sizes. They were basically Town Car comfortable Ford truck wagons until Ford started watering down/eliminating the truck part and getting lazy with interior comfort.

The front leaf sprung Excursion 4x4's ride pretty bad as did the Super Duty counterparts. Unfortunately, Ford stop making the Excursion just before the 2005 facelift which brought Coil Springs & Trailing Arms.

Edit....Don't really need a 4x4 & the 2wd Twin Beam does ride better......The 4x4 ride height just looks better. Dodge & Ford are guilty of the silly "Raked" look on their 2wd heavy duty pickups, Where GM uses the same right height regardless.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Twin Beam suspensions are one of my favorite older Ford truck features.

What would have been great, and probably worth a fortune today, would have been a fixed roof Tahoe/Expedition length 4 door SUV based on the 92-96 F-150/250. The Centurian Bronco conversions were cool, but about a mile long and still had the removable rear roof (not a feature I really want).

Historically, I say Chevy, hands-down. Lately, Ford has really stepped up its game -- as an automaker, I say Ford is slightly better today.

But I love Corvettes and somehow Ford still doesn't make anything as cool and fun and affordable as the Corvette. Mustang is no comparison. And the price of the GT is stratospheric.

..." And the price of the GT is stratospheric.[/quote]

Refuse to get into the debate. Ford has a habit of aggressively pricing popular cars. They priced the retro-look T-Bird out of the market.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GenSan
Ford.

Standup job stepping up to produce ventilaors vs GM being forced.

AMEN and AMEN !!!!!!
Shame on GM

AGIAN !!!!

Elon Musk bought a bunch from China and gave them to NY I believe.
He is converting a line in the Buffalo solar panel plant to make ventilators.
He may be doing something in Fremont as well.

Tesla Buffalo

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Elon Musk bought a bunch from China and gave them to NY I believe.
He is converting a line in the Buffalo solar panel plant to make ventilators.
He may be doing something in Fremont as well.

Tesla Buffalo

That's good news to hear !
Thanks

Among the 2, Ford has the best factory paint jobs IMO.

The off-road package Chevy 1500 is a pretty good looking truck though.

Back