Does This Seem Like Too Much Fluid To Drain From A Torque Converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been suspecting that I have overfilled my transmission, due to a problem with my dipstick tube position, but that is a separate topic. I have fixed the dipstick tube and am now ready to refill the system.
It is a 4r100 on a 98 Expedition.
Ford service procedure says to drain the pan, replace filter and drain torque converter, then refill with 6.5 quarts and adjust level after running through gears at operating temperature. I am under the understanding that the torque converter holds a couple quarts, but when I drained it, this much came out. I have yet to measure, but I think it might be 6-8 quarts.
I don't want to overfill again. Any advice? Do torque converters hold this much? Could it be excess from somewhere else in the transmission due to a previous overfill?
[Linked Image]

The 4R100 holds 18 qts between the pan and the torque converter. I dont think you can drain everything from the converter, you usually have to flush it out. If that is a 15 qt pan it might be right.

The TC when operating is full of oil. It should stay full always but the seals could leak when sitting.

I recently did a pan drop, new filter and a torque converter drain on my '99 Navigator. Those torque converters hold a lot of oil. Put the plug back in, fill it back to where it's fine on the dipstick and sleep well.

Originally Posted by CT8
The TC when operating is full of oil. It should stay full always but the seals could leak when sitting.

The Stator Support Bushings are the first line of defence in preventing converter charge drain-back, Then it's the Pressure Regulator Valve, If wear is present in these 2 components....The converter charge will drain back through the cooler/lube circuit into the pan.

Some designs have a One-Way Check in the cooler circuit as a 3rd line of defence. TH350's were notorious for drain-back & many a aftermarket check valves got installed
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back