2018 Ram 2500 Cummins ongoing UOAs (from new)

I'll just be posting all my UOAs on here from now on.

1) factory fill
2) Delvac ESP 5W-40
3) Delvac Super 1300 15W-40
4) Delvac ESP 5W-40

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Well so much for thought that the factory fill is something special. It looks real good but are you considering extending the interval with >8 TBN and 12 qts/fill it feels like your throwing away allot of good oil.

Originally Posted by samven
Well so much for thought that the factory fill is something special. It looks real good but are you considering extending the interval with >8 TBN and 12 qts/fill it feels like your throwing away allot of good oil.

Factory fill had a little extra Barium in there, from what the report shows. I'm happy with what's going on, so no harm no foul. Time will tell.

Yeah, I could definitely stretch the interval out by quite a lot but I don't mind throwing out a little money for something I get a kick out of doing as a hobby. And the warm fuzzy feeling I get from a fresh oil change can't be beat!
blush.gif

Also, fuel filters were coming up on being due so I just did the oil at the same time.

What oil filter are you running on that bad boy? Also isn't this the one that was deleted @ 4000 miles?

Fleetguard LF16035 at every change after I wrestled the factory Mopar one off with the jaws of life!!
lol.gif

Yeah, my midpipe fell off and EGR stopped working just short of 4k miles
27.gif

Last edited:
I'd like to do the same but I just can't bring myself to ditch the warranty yet. I've got a little over 5300 miles on it and had to have the fan clutch replaced last week. $535.00 but $0 for me. Truck is running better every day. I use the LF16035 also.

At these lower mileage OCIs, it appears that Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 is performing at the same level as the Mobil Delvac ESP 5W-40. What's interesting is that conventional Delvac 1300 Super CK4 has reduced lower phosphorus and zinc levels, and yet is providing good protection for your 6.7L Cummins. Your oil analysis data is significant in answering the question of the wear protection ability of lower phosphorus CK4 HEDO. I appreciate your posting the UOAs...thanks much. What's your current oil fill?

Yeah Super 1300 had lower zinc, phosphorus, and moly but still had great TBN (both VOA and after 4k miles).

I get more of a warm fuzzy from beefy additive packages, since I'm definitely not breaking down that TBN anywhere close to a number that matters.

That's why I switched to Valvoline conventional 15W-40 this go around. It had a heck of a stout additive list, good TBN, and is about half price of the Delvac ESP (where I live).

I've also got 3 gallons of T5 I'll toss in after I dump the Valvoline, curious to try that too.

I do like the ESP full synthetic (I could swear it hushes up the motor!) but I'm playing around with other brands for my own curiosity before settling with one (until we get CL4!!).

Glad to share with y'all.

Last edited:
It's FF in DMax and what Cat rebadged … now made with EHC Grp2+ … good bargain

Originally Posted by 4WD
It's FF in DMax and what Cat rebadged … now made with EHC Grp2+ … good bargain

Which one?

Delvac Super … I think Delvac 1 is one of the best oils made … but to me unless you have a really good bypass filter system … and willing to run long … (or temperature limits) it's so much cheaper to run 15w40.
Plenty good one's running lots of diesels of all sizes …
(at work, all we run from 4 banger Toyota to 7k HP Cats) …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Delvac Super … I think Delvac 1 is one of the best oils made … but to me unless you have a really good bypass filter system … and willing to run long … (or temperature limits) it's so much cheaper to run 15w40.
Plenty good one's running lots of diesels of all sizes …
(at work, all we run from 4 banger Toyota to 7k HP Cats) …

Nice, good to know! The ISB Cummins seems to gobble up 3 gallons of whatever you put in there, that's why I'm switching and sticking with 15W-40 conventional, maybe the T5 semi in winter.

Just doesn't get cold enough here for the 5W-40 synth stuff.

But man, you're right about the ESP. To me, it just smells like candy, almost worth the cost of admission just for my nose! Hahaha

Last edited:
I can see it now. Having to show your ID when checking out. Another epidemic of huffers. Seriously though, I've read that about the smell elsewhere. The ESP is supposed to be THE synthetic oil. I'm going with the dino myself. I've got T6 15-40 in it now but it's due in May (per the 6 month FCA) and I just happen to get 6 gallons of Delvac 1300 for $5.97 a gallon and I get the Stratapores on Amazon for a little over $11.00 each when I buy 3 at a time. I haven't done a UOA yet but I'm going to run 1 in November when the next one is due.

Originally Posted by OLEJOE
I can see it now. Having to show your ID when checking out. Another epidemic of huffers. Seriously though, I've read that about the smell elsewhere. The ESP is supposed to be THE synthetic oil. I'm going with the dino myself. I've got T6 15-40 in it now but it's due in May (per the 6 month FCA) and I just happen to get 6 gallons of Delvac 1300 for $5.97 a gallon and I get the Stratapores on Amazon for a little over $11.00 each when I buy 3 at a time. I haven't done a UOA yet but I'm going to run 1 in November when the next one is due.

Very cool! Looking forward to your UOA. Compare apples to apples haha

Back