New Sight Pusher

Bought one of these last week and it arrived today. I have to say this thing is a beast and is definitely a "buy once-cry once" tool. I have an MGW pusher for my Glocks, but the S&W, HK, and Walthers have trapezoidal shape slides and this tool was built to accommodate multiple shapes (even parallel sided slides).

I installed a set of Truglo Tritium sights on one of my S&W M&P 2.0 pistols today and the front sight was stupidly tight. So much so, that it sounded like a .22 going off when it broke free. There was no way that I could have used a punch to change it. If you are in the market for one, you cannot go wrong with this one:

https://www.sightpushertool.com/

[Linked Image from iili.io]

i have this one and it works well

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handgun-Sight-Pusher-Tool-Universal-for-1911-glock-sig-springfield-and-others/162774304090?epid=0&hash=item25e61ac55a:g:vSQAAOSwNSxU5SEu:sc:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!98144!US!-1

Originally Posted by WhyMe

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handgun-Sight-Pusher-Tool-Universal-for-1911-glock-sig-springfield-and-others/162774304090?epid=0&hash=item25e61ac55a:g:vSQAAOSwNSxU5SEu:sc:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!98144!US!-1

Same here.

Originally Posted by HighbrowHillbill
Originally Posted by WhyMe

Same here.
I looked at that one, but it is not designed in proper way for the S&W. My next door neighbor bought one of those to change the sights on his S&W Shield 2.0 and broke the OEM front sight without it ever budging. You have to push the sight at the base (not the blade) and that tool will not do it. It likely works just fine on most slides/sights, but if you have very tight front sight and/or non-parallel slide, it will not work well at all.

Dang PSD … when I saw the title … thought you were the latest moderator, LoL

I actually like yours better than the one I've got. It allows a direct line for the pressure on the sight, my Wheeler, which worked fine doing the sights on an H&K recently, has a bit of difference in the position of the screw/force, and the axis on which the sight is pushed, so, some twisting of the pusher components can result if you don't set it up properly. The Wheeler is well made, and works well, but yours is cheaper and simpler.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 4WD
Dang PSD … when I saw the title … thought you were the latest moderator, LoL

LOL - would have been "site" instead of "sight". Good one though!

Originally Posted by Astro14
I actually like yours better than the one I've got. It allows a direct line for the pressure on the sight, my Wheeler, which worked fine doing the sights on an H&K recently, has a bit of difference in the position of the screw/force, and the axis on which the sight is pushed, so, some twisting of the pusher components can result if you don't set it up properly. The Wheeler is well made, and works well, but yours is cheaper and simpler.
The scenario you describe is what caused my next door neighbor's tool to break his from sight (luckily it is was the OEM and not the night sights he wanted to install--had it happened vice-versa, he would have been out the cost of a set of sights). All of my HK's have factory night nights, but my Walter P99AS pistols do not and they have trapezoidal shaped slides, so this tool works very well for that application. I will post how it worked on them soon.

2015_PSD : Now , that sight pusher looks awesome !! … Will it work well on Glocks as well OR do you recommend the MGW sight pusher you mentioned instead ?

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
2015_PSD : Now , that sight pusher looks awesome !! … Will it work well on Glocks as well OR do you recommend the MGW sight pusher you mentioned instead ?

It will work on all of them; he has different accessories that can be added for Glock, S&W, and 1911 specific applications. I do like the MGW stuff, but they are typically per model, so if you have not bought one it may make sense to grab the one that I just bought because it is expandable past a single brand of pistol. MGW's S&W sight pusher was pulled from the market because it would either break the front sight or break the pusher part of the tool.

This one is seriously well made--powder coated steel that is 2" wide x 3.5" square with 3/8" thick walls.When I snugged up the counterforce screws, the slide was rock solid and locked into place. It did not budge when I pushed the front sight.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
That's a darn nice sight pusher! But, why isn't there some kind of plastic on the sight pusher itself to keep the sight from getting marred?
I was initially concerned about that, but the metal "bar" on the end of the jackscrew does not turn so it cannot mark the sight. Mine came out perfectly.

I was going to look at the MGW one but the store I bought them from already has them and installed sights for me when I bought the guns from them. Now they they are closed if I do buy any more of them I will have to figure out what to do. I have MGW's shifter for my Mustang and it is excellent.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I was going to look at the MGW one but the store I bought them from already has them and installed sights for me when I bought the guns from them. Now they they are closed if I do buy any more of them I will have to figure out what to do. I have MGW's shifter for my Mustang and it is excellent.

You have helped me out many times so I would be happy to take care of them for you (assuming you can ship just the slides/sights in/out of CA).

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by bdcardinal

You have helped me out many times so I would be happy to take care of them for you (assuming you can ship just the slides/sights in/out of CA).

Or better yet, I can send the tool to you--just shout out when you need it!

I wanted to give some feedback and my experience thus far with the tool. I have not had any issues with it, but on S&W pistols, it does tend to wear the "push block". I have installed 4 sets of S&W M&P sights (1.0 and 2.0) and have to say that they are the tightest and hardest to press sights I have ever seen. Two of the pistols made loud "cracks" when the sight initially moved and none of them were easy at any stage, they were stiff throughout the pushing process. There is no way that you use use a hammer and a punch to remove or install these sights without breaking something or damaging the sight or slide.

I have two sets of Walther sights to install next and it will give me something to balance the S&W's against. Certainly, Glock sights are easy to push as are HK sights as compared to S&W.

Back