Stock market!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
For a zero cost way to get into the market, in a broad based strategy, the Schwab Intelligent Portfolio is a good option.
It is self adjusting. Good luck!

Intelligent Portfolio

So far I have been in for a week and a half and my performance is +32.48%. How does this compare for the last 1.5 weeks using other stuff, I wonder? I am curious how I do at/by the end of one year. Part of this was just an experiment to see how bright I really am at this "game".

You cannot use one week and a half to base judgement on anything, let alone the markets.

The Schwab suggestion is excellent.

Originally Posted by Ws6
For a zero cost way to get into the market, in a broad based strategy, the Schwab Intelligent Portfolio is a good option.
It is self adjusting. Good luck!

Intelligent Portfolio

So far I have been in for a week and a half and my performance is +32.48%. How does this compare for the last 1.5 weeks using other stuff, I wonder? I am curious how I do at/by the end of one year. Part of this was just an experiment to see how bright I really am at this "game".

Congrats on your outstanding gain.
If you could replicate this over time, or even half of this, you would be the greatest stock picker in history!

Seriously, there is no formula, no 1 strategy, no super analyst, no set of super computer algorithms that win all the time.
I suggest a long term strategy; such a strategy will give you a good chance to be quite successful over the long run.

The Schwab Intelligent product is really good for new investors with perhaps $5K to $50K to work with.
As time and your $$ goes up, you will disgard this type of product and replace it with a more personal set of investments.
You will pay for these, hopefully with low load funds.
You can also pick stocks on your own. Many people who have posted here seem to do this. I don't.

Good luck!

I just wanted to drop $2500 into it to play with. If I lose it, oh, well. If I make money, WHOOooo!!!!! Maybe when I'm not a peon someday and can actually invest in a 401K and have the company match it or whatever and put real money into it, I will go with a more professional approach. This was just a fun gamble for me, and I agree 100% that an actively managed EFT > Me. I wanted to yank the handle, though, ya know? If I lose all my money, that would suck, but I won't be really upset about it. A retirement fund or life savings? Yeah, that warrants much more care and caution.

Don't get me wrong, I am smart enough to know I dunno what I am doing, but I am interested in trying it. If I succeed wildly, well, cool! So far here is how it do for me:

The "1 stocks" are free stocks I got for sharing the app with others.

*The below is NOT ADVICE, it is simply sharing what I did and how it's turned out. You do you. I am NOT giving specific advice, just to be clear, by posting this:

stocks.jpg

Now we going to see a short term pullback. Maybe a day or a week. The whipsaw will shake out weak hands and make fools of traders who cant play it right.

Some stocks will keep going down while others will resume the recovery. Its hard to guess. Like common logic says the airlines are in bad shape and so is Carnival Cruises. They might go BK but who knows where the stock price will go or why. This is why Im comfortable with etfs longer hold swing trade. Everything is still really oversold but not all stocks will continue up.

Take a look at the chart I posted. When we made this big dip only about 80% or so stocks where over the 150 day average or 1 in 5 meaning right now is not a strong market for all stocks.

A ways off a bottom. This latest movement is short covering and bulls thinking they picked a bottom. We will see what transpires. I may take some profits off the table on this latest move up. Remember the economic conditions have taken a hit which means companies will need to revise earnings. When you have earnings misses stocks take a hit.

Ws6,

If markets are manipulated you might as well use leveraged ETFs to ride the wave up. Remember you said this is play money....

3.28 million unemployment number yet the market up over 1000 points. Hmmm. 🙈ðŸ™ðŸ™Š

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Ws6,

If markets are manipulated you might as well use leveraged ETFs to ride the wave up. Remember you said this is play money....

3.28 million unemployment number yet the market up over 1000 points. Hmmm. 🙈ðŸ™ðŸ™Š

The unemployment numbers, while enormous, are not a surprise. Everyone could see them coming, and knows more bad news is to come.

The market already took that into account.

I fully expect a little pullback from here maybe to make a W bottom or maybe to go back for the third try like a triple bottom. The V bottom is too obvious. Like I said many posts ago I believe this is the bottom. Whether it whipsaws around...goes up a little and back down...I think this is the floor. Now the market will try to test your psychology trying to take back what you just gained from it. Im going to kick back and post every now and then to point out what I believe to be happening.

I think UAL and Carnival Cruises are going bankrupt by year end and will need a federal bailout. Get 1000 people in a big room...raise your hand if you going on a cruise or a flight next 6 months...raise your hand if you know someone who will...cricket cricket...however, what I think doesnt matter to the short term trading effects of getting way oversold and overbought.

The market is NOT manipulated. Its just not going in the way you think it will. There are reasons which are not obvious why it moves the way it does. Risk management is key and they have these ETFs where you wont make as much money as a risky trade but you make your $$$ with less risk.

Last edited:
Using the words gains and losses is meaningless.

1. There are unrealized gains and losses
2. Then there is the real thing "realized gains and losses"

Yes, its nice to see unrealized gains but its not a financial gain until its sold. Lets be clear on that because a lot of newer investors post about how good they did in the last two weeks which means piddly doo unless we know they sold the stock or still invested.

Ws6,

I'm not cashing out likely until 1 year so that the cap gains are long-term and not short-term, so I fear the rightness or wrongness of my choices will take some time to validate.

Ws6,

Then leveraged ETFs are you friend.

Regular S&P 500 ETF like driving 60 MPH on the highway.
3X S&P 500 is like driving 180 MPH on the highway.

I realized this a few years ago and had exponential growth with TQQQ and a few others...
wink.gif

Correlation is not causation. I saw someone on TV this AM suggest some high number of deaths had Tylenol in their system.

Slaps forehead, not surprised that people with a fever might have taken a fever reducer. Doesn't mean the medication contributed to the death.

Good grief people, think...

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by dblshock
I read 90%of these deaths are people on ACE inhibitors, a enzyme associated with the medication is suspected.

Have never heard this from any source, and I look at many. If that was hot news I'd think it would be coming from many sources by now.

The Stock Market does seem to be recovering, but it could be just lots of investors looking for a "good deal" and jumping in thinking it hit bottom. If it's a just a dead cat bounce from people buying in, then more time will tell.

Ws6,

Then leveraged ETFs are you friend.

Regular S&P 500 ETF like driving 60 MPH on the highway.
3X S&P 500 is like driving 180 MPH on the highway.

I realized this a few years ago and had exponential growth with TQQQ and a few others...
wink.gif

I think I will outperform TQQQ in a 1 year timespan. RIGHT NOW. Were we talking a longer timeframe, normal market, or a 401k or life savings, I'd absolutely 100% agree with you.

Use the PPT and manipulation to your benefit.
49.gif

I'm definitely using the mass panic to my benefit. Also, if I am quarantined due to contracting this thing and can't work, I will have *something* to pay my bills with, even if the amount has not matured. Today was kindof an "oof", but I am still up 20% total overall were I to have to cash out right now.

The good news high of the stimulus getting passed has already worn off, be ready for an onslaught of bad news over the next few weeks as UI claims climb, quarterly earnings are revised downward and another potential outbreak or two somewhere else in the country occurs. I'm mostly in cash right now and trying to figure out when to start buying. I was second guessing not dipping in a bit last weekend but today proved this market is still highly volatile.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Using the words gains and losses is meaningless.

1. There are unrealized gains and losses
2. Then there is the real thing "realized gains and losses"

Yes, its nice to see unrealized gains but its not a financial gain until its sold. Lets be clear on that because a lot of newer investors post about how good they did in the last two weeks which means piddly doo unless we know they sold the stock or still invested.

Regardless, people want to see their investments go up, not down ... because they may want to sell at any time depending on their circumstances. Most investors look at the numbers on paper and equate that to real money, because it does become real money with the action of selling the stock. Really not much different than looking at your bank checking and/or savings account numbers and knowing it's real money as soon as you take it out of the account.

Originally Posted by dishdude
The good news high of the stimulus getting passed has already worn off, be ready for an onslaught of bad news over the next few weeks as UI claims climb, quarterly earnings are revised downward and another potential outbreak or two somewhere else in the country occurs. I'm mostly in cash right now and trying to figure out when to start buying. I was second guessing not dipping in a bit last weekend but today proved this market is still highly volatile.

Agreed. "Catching the knife" is important to a short-term (1 year) plan like mine, and I missed it with Delta, but nailed it with a few others. I think I'm in it, for now. Will see how it plays out, but I feel like if I'm a loser at this game after 1 year, I have far bigger problems than the $2500 blow to my ego, because that will mean some very bad things for the world.

Originally Posted by dishdude

Yep. + 100000%

Ws6,

Just remember that ‘hypothetical' unrealized gains are just that. Those gains can very easily vaporize in a matter of days if you are trying to keep ____ stock for a year just to try and pay less taxes (long term capital gains taxes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back