Mobil 1 10W-60

FCD

I've found a shop nearby me that sells it, very expensive, but an oil that has always interested me.

I have a long list of "want to try" oils, this is definetly one of the ones that is highest on the list.

It really looks like a stout oil both in terms of viscosity and add pack, see it by yourself down below.

TDS: file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/lubricantes-online.com%20-%20mobil%201%20motorsport%20formula%2010w60.pdf
SDS: https://www.hermann-ruettger.shop/media/products/Sicherheitsdatenblatt 10W60.pdf

However my main question would be, from the SDS can somebody tell me what type of base stock this oil would have?

How much could i expect it to shear, in a car driven fairly aggressively?

I would be using it in my Capri, it's just fine on the specified 20W-50 that is in it now, but a 10W-60 just sounds better, faster cold flow, more oil pressure when hot.
1300ppm of Phos also sounds good for my flat tappet cam.

I believe the 10w60's are designed specifically for older BMW M cars and are known for shearing quite heavily during use. Not that it's a bad thing specifically.

If one thing I've learned from this board though, is a good mineral 15w40 or Monograde 30 is the poor-mans synthetic and will do just well for hard/severe use.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
I believe the 10w60's are designed specifically for older BMW M cars and are known for shearing quite heavily during use. Not that it's a bad thing specifically.

If one thing I've learned from this board though, is a good mineral 15w40 or Monograde 30 is the poor-mans synthetic and will do just well for hard/severe use.

Well, it just doesn't hold enough oil pressure anymore with anything that is thinner than a HTHS of 4.5 anymore haha, it's a bit worn but otherwise in good health, compression is good, doesn't leak or burn any oil, runs smooth and still has some guts when you put your foot down, still pulls almost 95-100mph in 3rd as it should.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver

Well, it just doesn't hold enough oil pressure anymore with anything that is thinner than a HTHS of 4.5 anymore haha, it's a bit work but otherwise in good health, compression is good, runs smooth and still has some guts when you put your foot down, still pulls almost 90mph in 3rd as it should.

Can you get any Penrite oils where you are? I know they do some 70 weights.

Alternative, could you get some Lucas oil stabilizer? Fill up with an ACEA A3 15w40 with a litre of lucas to thicken things up??

Can't get Penrite, or Lucas oil stabilizer.

I'm not really looking for recommendations, i'm most definetly going to run it for my next OCi, i just want to know how much can i expect it to shear and what base stocks it's made from as i can't decipher those CAS numbers etc.

Castrol TWS 10W-60 became the recommended oil for certain naturally aspirated BMW M engines starting around the year 2000, and supposedly Castrol tweaked the formula accordingly. Now, BMW has its own-branded 10W-60 for those engines, made by Shell (likely based on Helix Ultra Racing 10W-60). Both of those oils are indeed known to shear in use, though rarely more than one grade.

TWS has a long history including many other applications, and there have long been other 10W-60s on the market for various very-high-performance applications and race use.

Judging from the marketing materials, this Mobil 1 10W-60 seems to have been originally aimed at older vehicles that just need something really thick.

Originally Posted by tig1
That's kinda lite for gear oil.

xW-60 for motor oil is in the xW-110 range for gear oil.
wink.gif

Before you go thru this work, verify pressure with a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge, temporary install. The electric gauges have senders that tend to fail.

Rod

What about a Shell Helix syn-blend like HX7 in 10W-40 or 15W-40?

The 15W-40 looks beefy and still pours at -45C...

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Houston is hotter than most cities in Spain. A lot of folks run 0w20 in their truck engines. But I feel the thickie aura! Good luck!
laugh.gif

His car is older and I wouldn't ever suggest 0W-20 for something from the 1980's unless its a HM oil in a very cold climate...

I recall the European version of Mobil 1 10W-60 being advertised for high mileage cars. You should have no problems running it in Spain, my only reservation would be the seal sweller if you don't need it.

If you don't have any leaks, or are looking to keep this engine for a long time, maybe look at Shell Helix Racing 10W-60 or Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 10W-60 for extra phosphorus if you absolutely want a 10W-60? Motul 8100 X-Power 10W-60 would also be worth looking into, if you do not want a racing oil.

I used to run Castrol GTX 20W50 in older engines with low oil pressure, sometimes combined with one (or two) bottles of STP Oil Treatment. Not sure if that's available in Spain, but it worked for me, even on engines worn enough to have lifter clatter at hot idle in summer.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Before you go thru this work, verify pressure with a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge, temporary install. The electric gauges have senders that tend to fail.

Rod

The gauge on the cluster is mechanical, there is oil going right to it.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I got an idea. Replace the con rod bearing shells
smile.gif

If you need a 60 you are done.

Not really, the factory recommendation is 20W-50, so 60 is not a huge jump.
And as i sad, the engine is just fine, doesn't leak or burn any oil, has good compression, good power, it's just that the hot oil pressure is a tad low.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
What about a Shell Helix syn-blend like HX7 in 10W-40 or 15W-40?

The 15W-40 looks beefy and still pours at -45C...

Not enough oil pressure at hot idle anymore with anything thinner than a 15W-40 HDEO.

You guys ( no offence ) are missing the point of the thread.

I'm not looking for oil recommendations, i'm just interested in knowing what sort of base stocks that Mobil 1 10W-60 Is made from.

As somebody else said it's specifically recommended for older vehicles... and seems a technically better option than the factory spec'd Mineral API SE 20W-50.

At the moment the oil i am running is a API SM - A3/B4 Syn-Blend 20W-50 and the oil pressure and everything else is fine.

Started out with Shell HX3 20W-50, very thick Group 1 stuff that really was molasses when cold, and appeared to shear rather quickly.
Next i ran Valvoline VR1 20W-50 and that was good.
After that , Shell Rimula R4X 15W-40 HDEO, which again was fine.
And now Repsol Elite Super 20W-50, seems to flow the best when cold compared to VR1 and Shell HX3, lower oil pressure when cold compared to VR1 or HX3, hot oil pressure is good, almost as good as with VR1 which was the best.

I have just about enough hot oil pressure with 15W-40 HDEO at hot idle ( Barely ) , i i'm just curious to check this 10W-60 oil out.

Last edited:
Redline and Gulf and Fuchs and Penrite and Mannol all make ester based 10w60s - something as old and special as a Capri deserves the best
wink.gif

Back