10,000 mile rated Fram Extra Guard filters???

[Linked Image]

Picked up a couple oil filters at Menards to do some oil changes on friends vehicles.

Since when did Fram rate their Extra Guard line of oil filters for 10,000 miles? Until very recently I was under the impression that their Extra Guard filters were rated for 5,000 miles.

Originally Posted by 1911CHAMPION
Since when did Fram rate their Extra Guard line of oil filters for 10,000 miles? Until very recently I was under the impression that their Extra Guard filters were rated for 5,000 miles.

It's been a while, there were threads in this forum about it some time ago when they first hit the shelves. The ADBV was changed to silicone when the rating went up.

Doesn't matter what it says on the box. Their warranty covers their oil filters for only as long as the OEM recommended change interval.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Where do the Fram Core filters lie? In between EG and TG?

I've looked up a couple cut opens, it's almost like they are spec'd differently depending on what service place is buying them, some seem to have the plastic core, some have metal cores with fiber end caps, some have a metal core with metal end caps. In general I'd expect a core filter to be on par with an Extra Guard.

Up to 10,000 miles... depending on the vehicle manufacturer's recommended service intervals. If you're under warranty and the service interval is 5k, then this filter is good for 5k.

I don't know why y'all are acting like it's a big deal! Not very many on this board even go 10k OCIs (at least by their posturing and UOA data), and only a few are willing to leave an oil filter on more than one OCI (Linctex being the world champ at 50k on a Motorcraft). Even when using synthetics. There certainly are a handful, but most of their UOAs and comments about "letting the data do the talking" are met with incredulity. Plenty of facts show these people to be flat-earthers, but yet they persist. Buy a major name synthetic oil, and a major name filter. Run it 10k, change, and repeat. If you own one of the GDI trouble children (not all meet this criteria), then do the same thing but only run it to the manufacturer recommendations. If you have a cartridge filter, do some research, as all cartridges do not appear to be made equally.

Let's make it super easy. Any spin-on filter on the shelf at WM will run any sane OCI on an engine that hasn't been neglected for its entire life. Pick your desired filtration efficiency and go from there... or pick by brand. If you want a no-brainer, pick a Fram Ultra at Rural King for $7.99. If you want to get crazy and go with a Rock Auto house brand clearance of questionable manufacture for $0.63 each, then run it 10k, cut it, and post it up to prove this is wrong.

The underlying message, sarcasm aside, is that major brand name oils that meet specs and filters that specify a mileage rating have all really become finely-manufactured consumables, and any one of them that meets the spec will essentially guarantee your engine keeps running long after your passion dies for a certain vehicle. If you're looking to maximize your bang-for-the-buck, buy the cheapest that meets your manufacturer's requirement... if you're looking to be a closet chemist/engineer, buy whatever you want. It's your money, and you want (to spend) it now!
lol.gif

Look fellas. I use Wix oil filters. Now everybody on this site knows in their heart if not in their mind that that the regular Wix is the best oil filter in the world. I change my filter every 6000 miles. There you go.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Look fellas. I use Wix oil filters. Now everybody on this site knows in their heart if not in their mind that that the regular Wix is the best oil filter in the world. I change my filter every 6000 miles. There you go.

Assuming Wix Gold? Not Wix Silver/ProSelect, or Wix XP? There's nothing wrong with Wix, but Fleetguard, Donaldson, Royal Purple, and Amsoil (along with Fram Ultra) all make filters with full synthetic media and higher efficiency ratings. And, on a clean, newer GM engine, a Wix Gold is more than capable of handling a full GM OLM interval, even 10,000 miles.

I do use Wix and think think they're a quality filter. Even though the company enjoys a good reputation and could go longer, I change them every OCI. I was just being silly. I may be wasting money changing the filter every time. At least I'm not changing oil every 3000 miles like the old days.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Not very many on this board even go 10k OCIs (at least by their posturing and UOA data), and only a few are willing to leave an oil filter on more than one OCI (Linctex being the world champ at 50k on a Motorcraft).

A while back I did a C&P of a Fram Ultra that I had on for just shy of 18k miles over three oil changes.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I don't know why y'all are acting like it's a big deal! Not very many on this board even go 10k OCIs (at least by their posturing and UOA data), and only a few are willing to leave an oil filter on more than one OCI (Linctex being the world champ at 50k on a Motorcraft). Even when using synthetics. There certainly are a handful, but most of their UOAs and comments about "letting the data do the talking" are met with incredulity. Plenty of facts show these people to be flat-earthers, but yet they persist. Buy a major name synthetic oil, and a major name filter. Run it 10k, change, and repeat. If you own one of the GDI trouble children (not all meet this criteria), then do the same thing but only run it to the manufacturer recommendations. If you have a cartridge filter, do some research, as all cartridges do not appear to be made equally.

Let's make it super easy. Any spin-on filter on the shelf at WM will run any sane OCI on an engine that hasn't been neglected for its entire life. Pick your desired filtration efficiency and go from there... or pick by brand. If you want a no-brainer, pick a Fram Ultra at Rural King for $7.99. If you want to get crazy and go with a Rock Auto house brand clearance of questionable manufacture for $0.63 each, then run it 10k, cut it, and post it up to prove this is wrong.

The underlying message, sarcasm aside, is that major brand name oils that meet specs and filters that specify a mileage rating have all really become finely-manufactured consumables, and any one of them that meets the spec will essentially guarantee your engine keeps running long after your passion dies for a certain vehicle. If you're looking to maximize your bang-for-the-buck, buy the cheapest that meets your manufacturer's requirement... if you're looking to be a closet chemist/engineer, buy whatever you want. It's your money, and you want (to spend) it now!
lol.gif

Hey now! Speak for yourself
smile.gif

I put a ton of miles on a tough guard once before and bared all. The current tough guard will have 28k or possibly more; depending how lazy I am.

Yes, I live in reality not fantasy

Much of your Pennsylvania is Fantasy Adam. So much beautiful countryside there.... from Pittsburgh - up to Erie & Gettysburg and over to Philly.
Mid-to-Upper New York is absolutely gorgeous too. There's about 250 miles of the Blue Ridge Mountains I want to run next.

What filters do I want to see cut open? Here's a couple for my Kia Soul. 2.0 MPI / Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4. Both take the same filters.
Supertech 9688
Fram Extra Guard 9688
AC Delco PF1127

If you want, I'll ship all-3 to your Apt-A...... on my dime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger

Do you have any facts to back up your opinion or is it just that, an opinion.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Much of your Pennsylvania is Fantasy Adam. So much beautiful countryside there.... from Pittsburgh - up to Erie & Gettysburg and over to Philly.
Mid-to-Upper New York is absolutely gorgeous too. There's about 250 miles of the Blue Ridge Mountains I want to run next.

What filters do I want to see cut open? Here's a couple for my Kia Soul. 2.0 MPI / Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4. Both take the same filters.
Supertech 9688
Fram Extra Guard 9688
AC Delco PF1127

If you want, I'll ship all-3 to your Apt-A...... on my dime.

Thanks Joe, that sounds like a plan. PM me if you need my address
smile.gif

Back