210,000 miles on one air filter

Bought air intake and air filter setup at around 100,000 miles and hadn't bothered to check it or change it as oil analysis reports didn't mention it. Today was a nice 60 degree day so I figured I would just replace it with one of the same instead of trying to clean it. It's the injen xx1010 / Donaldson dry flow filter. By accounts this filter had over 215,000 miles on it so I'm sure it's been on long enough.

I have seen the AEM dry flows cleaned with mild detergent so I've got some scent free vegan HE soap so I'll just use it and see how it goes..might be a good idea to keep a backup JIC.

_20200326_182514.JPG

_20200326_182441.JPG

_20200326_182411.JPG

_20200326_182336.JPG

Thank you for posting this Marco. I haven't opened my air cleaner in over 100k Kms with no plans to open it anytime soon. It has an OE Toyota filter in it. I read on this site (which is simply the best site) that filters get better with usage. No CEL and the engine runs normally. Unless I hear that what I'm doing is potentially doing more harm than good I'm leaving it be.

On my last Toyota I left the air filter on for over 10 years without incident (I think).

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I wonder if you net better gas mileage, sucking in all of that hot air.

Looks like a HAI instead of CAI

Filters have a dual purpose, cleaning the air and allowing the maximum movement of air. As the filter begins to load up air flow is reduced.Short of doing a pressure drop test across the filter discoloration of the media is a good determinant.

You don't want the old one? Someone might want it. I would clean it and use it on something.

Originally Posted by Linctex
The only time one notices an air filter being excessively restrictive is at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE

True I believe ^^^^^

: 15' Civic 1.8 i-vtec 319,500 mi M1 0w30 & LG Biotech,Castrol CVT Fluid,GUMOUT/ PEA

how do you get 320K miles in 4-5 years?

What all have you had to replace?

Originally Posted by Linctex
The only time one notices an air filter being excessively restrictive is at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE

If it is brand new, and the hp gain may not be able to be measured given all the variables.
Manufacturers give a hp rating for each engine.
Putting the intake in a warmer spot decreases the hp.

ABOVE: "how do you get 320K miles in 4-5 years?"
By driving 64K to 80K per year.

Seriously, I'm all for "a dirty filter is a happy filter" but when an engine air filter is quite dull grey and sand rains down as I remove it, I'm guessing it's OK to change it.
30K is what I use.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

Everyone is free to comment where ever they like but what's the purpose of these types of comments?

Originally Posted by wemay

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

Everyone is free to comment where ever they like but what's the purpose of these types of comments?

My post was serious. Won't the intake of hot air result in better gas mileage?

I doubt the slight reduction in PSID across the intake with the SRI will make up for the ingestion of hot air, resulting in less power.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
Thank you for posting this Marco. I haven't opened my air cleaner in over 100k Kms with no plans to open it anytime soon. It has an OE Toyota filter in it. I read on this site (which is simply the best site) that filters get better with usage. No CEL and the engine runs normally. Unless I hear that what I'm doing is potentially doing more harm than good I'm leaving it be.

On my last Toyota I left the air filter on for over 10 years without incident (I think).

Just install a filter restriction gauge, then you'll know when you need to change it:
https://www.knfilters.com/filterminder.htm

My experience differs - My 2006 Accord V6 (that I bought new and have highly maintained, completely stock) started getting weak / low power (with no other variables changed) in normal around-town driving. Ran smooth, just power loss on familiar roads & hills, in any weather. This puzzled me for about 3 months, change of seasons, multiple tanks of V-Power.
Finally, I noticed that I had not changed the air filter in 4 years / 30K miles. I installed a new Honda air filter and power was restored immediately.
Old air filter was certainly dirty with dust & pollen, but I could see light through it, dimly...
I shared my experience with my Honda mechanic, and this was a familiar story to him.
Hypothesis is that this engine is sensitive to air flow restriction, and maybe ECU played a role in de-tuning the engine in response.
Air filter is rather large, and I live in TN which is not dusty.

Its actually not that hot and I did remove ALL the factory resonator piping as I have the add on for a front bumper cold air inlet. Most driving is about 40mph-85mph so plenty air moves. How I know is cause if it rains or snows I get a light engine bay misting so I know that air is getting in.

Originally Posted by SWS
My experience differs - My 2006 Accord V6 (that I bought new and have highly maintained, completely stock) started getting weak / low power (with no other variables changed) in normal around-town driving. Ran smooth, just power loss on familiar roads & hills, in any weather. This puzzled me for about 3 months, change of seasons, multiple tanks of V-Power.
Finally, I noticed that I had not changed the air filter in 4 years / 30K miles. I installed a new Honda air filter and power was restored immediately.
Old air filter was certainly dirty with dust & pollen, but I could see light through it, dimly...
I shared my experience with my Honda mechanic, and this was a familiar story to him.
Hypothesis is that this engine is sensitive to air flow restriction, and maybe ECU played a role in de-tuning the engine in response.
Air filter is rather large, and I live in TN which is not dusty.

As the air filter gets more and more loaded up with dirt, and the pressure drop across it (delta-p) as a function of flow CFM increases, then it will take more throttle opening to make the same HP as compared to if there was a new air filter installed. That's why it felt sluggish and down on power with the dirty filter, and seemed to pep up with a new filter. If you would have done some before and after WOT runs, you'd probably feel the difference too.

Back