Dark Specks on Dipstick after Fresh Oil Change?

Recently changed the oil in my car and have driven about 10 miles on the new oil. After letting the vehicle cool, when I first check the dipstick there appears to some dark specks clinging to the dipstick within the oil. (See pictures) This has happened both times I've checked after the oil change, but the dipstick comes out with clean oil after the second pull. They don't appear to be metallic and don't seem to emulsify with the oil around it when agitated. Does anyone know what this may be? Never seen this before after any of my oil changes, my only presumption was perhaps it could be the new oil cleaning some buildup left from the old oil? Thanks.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Let me guess! You changed the oil both times using Pennzoil.
Specs like that are mostly additive fallout. Most likely, usually occurs & sits at the bottom of the new jugs.

Shake the snots out of the new oil jug, before pouring. If it still occurs at every check, stand at the furthest distance from the front of the vehicle hood. It's going to blow sooner or later......lol
16.gif

All kidding aside..... Everything is probably fine & dandy. Sleep well.

Could be the super cleaning effect of fresh oil? little pieces of old oil deposits coming off internal surfaces and held in suspension before the filter traps them?

You would be correct on the Pennzoil. I tried my best to give it a good shake before the fill, but it certainly could be the case that I didn't shake it enough, which would point to them being additives like you said. End of the day, looks like the consensus it to not worry about it regardless of if it's additives or simply previous fill deposits that the new filter hasn't grabbed yet.

Originally Posted by Mitsu4B11
You would be correct on the Pennzoil. I tried my best to give it a good shake before the fill, but it certainly could be the case that I didn't shake it enough

You're supposed to shake the bottle? I prefer mine stirred.

It's wear metals from that uber thin 0W20 wearing out your engine at an alarming rate. Drain immediately and refill with a proper oil weight like 20W50.

Just kidding haha! Yeah like the other posters said,I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
SOPUS clinging molecules are at the bottom of the new jug.
crackmeup2.gif

They might call it GTL Black Snowflakes.

lol.gif

Truly funny... Really well played..

These days I would not waste any paper towel. Hard to find in any store
shocked2.gif

Issue resolved!

Notice I didn't say problem solved!
grin2.gif
since I also use PP 5W30.

Yeah, I agree with dogememe, report back with a snapshot of the dipstick after 500 miles with a hot engine.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Yeah, I agree with dogememe, report back with a snapshot of the dipstick after 500 miles with a hot engine.

Will do. I've got a trip here in the next week or so that will get me to that 500mi point.

I had the same thing happen after a Honda dealer oil change.

Car even ran a bit rough when I picked it up. After revving it a bit it smoothed out. The particles were still there though. Gone after a day or two.

Not sure what happened but never seen it after any of my DIY oil changes.

Same thing here. Did an oil change 5 miles ago and I've been seeing the specs on the dipstick. (10w40 Mobil1 HM)

Did perform a treatment of BerryMan's B12 before the change. So perhaps it's loose carbon?

Back