Recent Topics
Android to PC pictures?
by Eddie - 03/30/20 04:30 PM
Crazy fixes that worked
by IMSA_Racing_Fan - 03/30/20 01:39 PM
Cadillac CTS 4 AWD driveline care and feeding
by IMSA_Racing_Fan - 03/30/20 12:13 PM
Heaviest 5w-30 Synthetic?
by Propflux01 - 03/30/20 11:53 AM
Upgrade from HDD to SSD
by diyjake - 03/30/20 11:39 AM
Refrigerator runs in cooling mode for 2+ hours.
by mrsilv04 - 03/30/20 09:24 AM
Non Detergent Oil
by 10ecfarmer - 03/30/20 08:06 AM
Joe Diffie on vinyl
by skyactiv - 03/30/20 07:52 AM
cooling system vacuum refill kit
by Donald - 03/30/20 07:35 AM
What's the proper oil for a push mower
by jayjr1105 - 03/30/20 07:31 AM
Honda DW-1 OLD Bottles Question.
by David1 - 03/30/20 06:25 AM
Winter 'shoes' for office goers
by MoneyJohn - 03/30/20 05:54 AM
2004 FZ6 Delo 400
by thestockie1 - 03/30/20 04:34 AM
Turn signals all blinking fast
by JHZR2 - 03/30/20 12:14 AM
New Ram... thoughts by owners?
by wallyuwl - 03/29/20 11:38 PM
Newest Members
rider9195, kingsville911, B34R, ChrisSnowden, DIY4quality
71055 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
124 registered members (440Magnum, 25ring, 007, andyd, 53' Stude, alanwayne1908, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics303,357
Posts5,234,717
Members71,055
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Thank you summer tires... #5386669 03/26/20 11:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,261
1
14Accent Offline OP
OP Offline
1
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,261
... for saving me from the shake and roar of my winter set! As much as I recognize the need for dedicated snow tires (especially here in MN), they sure do get annoying in the crossover season of Feb/Mar when the roads are fairly dry. I've delayed swapping the summer set on the Impala the last few weeks, just in case we get a last minute storm, however today I bit the bullet and threw them on. I went from 215/55R17 Firestone Winterforce's on steel wheels to 225/60R16 Starfire Solarus A/S on the stock 16" alloys. To clarify: the winter tires are at least 5 years old, and ever so slightly feathered but still showing 7/32 tread. I mounted them on aftermarket steelies which do the car no favors in terms of ride and handling, as they're very heavy. The Starfire's are almost new, I installed them last spring on the OEM wheels.

I'm sure I've become accustomed to the noise over the winter months, but it really is amazing how much quieter the A/S tires are. What a relief! That, and the loss of un-sprung weight due to the lighter tires and alloy's really make the car ride and handle better. Well, as good as OE 187k mile struts can, that is.

As this thread is a bit one sided and dull, I'd like to take the opportunity to extend best wishes and gratitude to everyone out there, throughout this forum and elsewhere. For those considered "essential", as I am, thank you for your dedication to go out every day and provide the service you specialize in. To those deemed "non-essential", forced to stay home without knowing how to pull through, you are sorely missed and not forgotten.

Best to all!


2013 Chevrolet Volt - Saves enough in fuel to pay for itself!

2007 Chevrolet Impala LT
Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: 14Accent] #5386728 03/27/20 04:24 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 176
bachman Offline
Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 176
Nice that you've already got 5 seasons on those winter tires. If I were a dedicated winter tire guy, I could give you some recommendations on the next winter tire to try out. Nothing against FStones but I recall some tires I had long ago the were soft and quiet and good winter traction. If you can live with the noise and the F S are fairly inexpensive you may not be shopping and are happy.
Blizzaks or Goodyear come to mind as good experiences but I don't know you'll get 5 or more season out of them and that was 20 + years ago.
I'm thankful and able to run A/S tires with very little compromise over here.


95 Honda Nighthawk- Rotella T6 syn
17 Golf SW 4MO dsg- Dealer LOF/5-6k *New spec syn -VW/Audi XOM ?
16 Mazda CX9 Tour- Dealer LOF/5-6k Casterol full syn
Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: 14Accent] #5386740 03/27/20 05:33 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,743
O
otis24 Offline
Offline
O
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,743
I put mine on about two weeks ago. No problem with my winter tires though. Have Michelin Xice. This was their third year and tread still looks great. Will get two or three more winters out of them then run them through one summer if the tread is still good. We did not get a lot of snow here in South Dakota this winter. I now view snow tires as "cold weather tires". It's not just about the snow, it's about the cold as well, as far as snow tire function. My coworker has Blizzaks and likes them. Unfortunately, they won't last. She works part time at a convenience store. The guy she works for also has a service station. He runs his winter tires year round and has convinced her to do the same. He can afford to replace his tires whenever, she cannot. The good thing is that she doesn't put a lot of miles on her car.


1991 Chevrolet K1500 (4.3, 4x4, 86k miles)

2016 Dodge Grand Caravan
(3.6 V6) 46500 miles
Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: 14Accent] #5386773 03/27/20 06:43 AM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 286
F
FT92 Offline
Offline
F
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 286
I know what you mean . noisy snow tires , couldn't wait to get them off and back to my all season ones.....

Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: 14Accent] #5386793 03/27/20 07:31 AM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,911
M
Miller88 Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,911
I changed them out yesterday. The new Leaseon Sentra gets pretty bad gas mileage on the winter tire, interested to see how it does on the continental OE tires. It'll be due for new snow tires this year anyway, maybe I'll get ones that aren't oversized for it! They are dated 2014 and I bought them use in 2017 on wheels for $200. Not a bad deal at all! Also put the OE tires on the Forester too. I probably would have run the god awful Hankook snow tires all summer just to burn them of but the wheels managed to rust pretty bad.


18 Forester 2.5I 6M
00 Jeep XJ
01 F-350 4x4 5M
Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: 14Accent] #5386818 03/27/20 08:02 AM
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 57
B
bilibako2 Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 57
Three car's FWD with Michelin X Ice on them on winter month's very satisfied on their peformance #1 is no tire noise.Since 1995 I've been using winter
tires-started with Bridgestone Blizzak,then switch over to X-Ice.It's like driving the car with all season tires with them except on the rain?


bentoti/1999
Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: 14Accent] #5386858 03/27/20 08:47 AM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,656
L
Lolvoguy Online Shocked
Online Shocked
L
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,656
Inaccurate thread title.
Post has nothing to do with summer tires.
spank


06 Lexus IS350- Wife
88 BMW 325is- Mistress
Say "no" to Turbo!
Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: 14Accent] #5386869 03/27/20 08:58 AM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,446
K
Kira Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,446
Swapped my Viking snows (Norway) off yesterday. They're also a $200 used set.
While the tread is low they really work. There's one more season in 'em.

BAD: the steel wheels they're on are very rusted.
GOOD: a guy gave me an identical set of steel wheels...only 10 years younger.

DECISION: Do I swap these old tires onto the new wheels now or just wear 'em out?

MINOR COMPLICATION: I've put one of the new wheels into service as one oldie leaked air.
I want to use my friend's Harbor Freight changing mast. All I'll need is to buy balancing.
It's just this darn plague.

LAUGHER: My town's metal recycling yard is closed.

And yes, the noise reduction is welcome. I must say, however, snow tire noise never ruined my day.

Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: Kira] #5386887 03/27/20 09:21 AM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,649
S
supton Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,649
Originally Posted by Kira
Swapped my Viking snows (Norway) off yesterday. They're also a $200 used set.
While the tread is low they really work. There's one more season in 'em.

BAD: the steel wheels they're on are very rusted.
GOOD: a guy gave me an identical set of steel wheels...only 10 years younger.

DECISION: Do I swap these old tires onto the new wheels now or just wear 'em out?

MINOR COMPLICATION: I've put one of the new wheels into service as one oldie leaked air.
I want to use my friend's Harbor Freight changing mast. All I'll need is to buy balancing.
It's just this darn plague.

LAUGHER: My town's metal recycling yard is closed.

And yes, the noise reduction is welcome. I must say, however, snow tire noise never ruined my day.

How old are the tires? If they aren't that old it'd probably be worth the effort. Slow leak may be slow, but Murphy's Law says you'll have a flat when you least need it.

If you're going to toss the rims in the near future, I wonder if fix-a-flat would fix your slow leak. Usually I'd argue against it, from what I understand it's a mess, but if rims are shot and headed for the junkyard, is it really a problem?

Edit: Hmm, good time for me to swap the wife over to summers, but I think I'll hold out on my truck. Just in case. Besides, it's getting like 5 miles a week right now, and for the near future anyhow.

Last edited by supton; 03/27/20 09:24 AM.

2011 Toyota Camry, base, 2.5L/6MT, 203k, hers
2010 Toyota Tundra DC, 4.6L/6AT, 158k, ours
1999 Toyota Camry LE, 2.2L/4AT, 223k, his
Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: 14Accent] #5386894 03/27/20 09:30 AM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,302
J
JC1 Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,302
I changed the snow tires on the Caravan last weekend. I had to drive 215 km (130 miles) on Monday morning in slight winter storm in a snow fall on the 401 with plenty of trucks on the road. Half of the trip was on snow covered roads (1-2 cm).

Much nicer driving on all seasons especially on the highway.


2015 Grand Caravan SXT Plus 0w-20 Pennzoil Ultra/Fram Ultra Filter
1997 Honda Civic CX 5w-30 PPPP/Fram Ultra Filter
Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: 14Accent] #5386926 03/27/20 10:16 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,272
E
edyvw Offline
Offline
E
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,272
Originally Posted by 14Accent
... for saving me from the shake and roar of my winter set! As much as I recognize the need for dedicated snow tires (especially here in MN), they sure do get annoying in the crossover season of Feb/Mar when the roads are fairly dry. I've delayed swapping the summer set on the Impala the last few weeks, just in case we get a last minute storm, however today I bit the bullet and threw them on. I went from 215/55R17 Firestone Winterforce's on steel wheels to 225/60R16 Starfire Solarus A/S on the stock 16" alloys. To clarify: the winter tires are at least 5 years old, and ever so slightly feathered but still showing 7/32 tread. I mounted them on aftermarket steelies which do the car no favors in terms of ride and handling, as they're very heavy. The Starfire's are almost new, I installed them last spring on the OEM wheels.

I'm sure I've become accustomed to the noise over the winter months, but it really is amazing how much quieter the A/S tires are. What a relief! That, and the loss of un-sprung weight due to the lighter tires and alloy's really make the car ride and handle better. Well, as good as OE 187k mile struts can, that is.

As this thread is a bit one sided and dull, I'd like to take the opportunity to extend best wishes and gratitude to everyone out there, throughout this forum and elsewhere. For those considered "essential", as I am, thank you for your dedication to go out every day and provide the service you specialize in. To those deemed "non-essential", forced to stay home without knowing how to pull through, you are sorely missed and not forgotten.

Best to all!

That is where the problem is.


11' BMW 328i xDrive 6MT (Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40+ MANN filter)
11' VW Tiguan 2.0T (Castrol 0W30+OE filter)
15' Toyota Sienna AWD (Mobil1 5W30 EP+OEM filter).
Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: Lolvoguy] #5386974 03/27/20 11:23 AM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,663
Bud Offline
Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,663
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Inaccurate thread title.
Post has nothing to do with summer tires.
spank

You get a gold star for today.


2016 Honda Pilot EX-L with NAVI.....Mobil 1 0w20 AFE and Honda OEM Filter
Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: JC1] #5386979 03/27/20 11:35 AM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,344
I
IndyIan Offline
Offline
I
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,344
Originally Posted by JC1
I changed the snow tires on the Caravan last weekend. I had to drive 215 km (130 miles) on Monday morning in slight winter storm in a snow fall on the 401 with plenty of trucks on the road. Half of the trip was on snow covered roads (1-2 cm).

Much nicer driving on all seasons especially on the highway.

Watch can tire or costco for tire sales, I got some Xice2's for the subaru on clearance from can tire for something like $600 taxes. The xice's are very quiet on the hwy and I think the best southern ontario winter tire for an AWD vehicle.
Last weekend we did some social distancing/ice fishing and the tires were good on the clear hwy and on the logging road/snowmobile trail!
[Linked Image]


06 Focus ZXW, 5spd manual, 220km
18 Outback 2.5 CVT 35km 0W20
Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: 14Accent] #5387006 03/27/20 12:16 PM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 412
B
BrewCityR Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 412
I was hesitating swapping off our winter tires (both vehicles) as well down here in the Milwaukee area.

Last Sunday's 10 day forecast looked clear even though we have gotten dumped on with snow the past TWO APRILS!

The current 10 day forecast looks clear as well.... :fingers crossed:




Last edited by BrewCityR; 03/27/20 12:16 PM.

2006 Infiniti M45 Sport (me) - Valvoline Advanced 0w40 - RP 10-2867 oil filter
2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring (wife) - M1 AFE 0w20 - Wix 57002 filter
Re: Thank you summer tires... [Re: 14Accent] #5387019 03/27/20 12:52 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 12,444
J
JTK Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 12,444
I'll be taking the Firestone Winterforces off our 2015 Nissan Versa soon too. They're crazy loud on this already loud little econobox. It will be nice having a functional TPMS system and more importantly, no light on again. This will be the last run for the factory Continental all seasons that are well worn. This car is for my driving age kids to use and it's been mostly sitting the last few weeks.


2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV
2017 Ram 1500 4x4, 3.6L.
2015 Nissan Versa 1.6 S
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™