O'Reilly's took my used oil but not the bottles; should I throw them in garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to O'Reilly's in the hope that they would take all my used oil, filters, and oil containers. They took the first two but said they can't take the bottles so they handed me back the empty bottles (with oil all over the outside of course).

Should I just throw them in the weekly garbage or what is the best thing to do to get rid of them?

its hit or miss.. they will toss them in their dumpster for me about 50% of the time.

At our waste disposal site they have a separate receptacle for them. In your case I would just throw them in the trash.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Some people would just take the used oil and jugs to Walmart for a full refund. Then one of us would wind up with it.

Cold !!!
smirk2.gif

Here they're considered HazMat. At work we have a company pick them up for recycling once we accumulate a wheeled recycling container full.

Originally Posted by Whammo
I went to O'Reilly's in the hope that they would take all my used oil, filters, and oil containers. They took the first two but said they can't take the bottles so they handed me back the empty bottles (with oil all over the outside of course).

Should I just throw them in the weekly garbage or what is the best thing to do to get rid of them?

I am assuming this was your first-ever DIY oil change.
How did it go?..... any obstacles or oil spills at least.....lol

Weird, at my local Auto Zone, I have to ask for my jugs back (I like the mobil jugs, they have a big opening that my funnel fits into).
They also will not let me take it back and dump it myself anymore. I guess someone screwed up their tank.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Weird, at my local Auto Zone, I have to ask for my jugs back (I like the mobil jugs, they have a big opening that my funnel fits into).
They also will not let me take it back and dump it myself anymore. I guess someone screwed up their tank.

.... or they caught someone stealing other merchandise in their backroom.

You should put them in the dishwasher on warm, then fill them up with simple green, rinse with water, and dry them with a linen cloth!

I re-use them to return used oil and recycle the containers that have never had used oil in them.
I have one that's made at least a half dozen trips to the AA...

Originally Posted by pbm
I re-use them to return used oil and recycle the containers that have never had used oil in them.
I have one that's made at least a half dozen trips to the AA...

Recycle truck in our city will squash all the recycle goods - take them to their base to be sorted and when they catch an oil container, it's assumed that used oil remnants are inside and treated as such, even thou virgin oil remains.

I really don't know of any recycle center that will remove the cap to see what's inside. They just discard them-all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back