EA888 how many go by the 10k mile factory recommended OCI...

wemay

Site Donor 2023
...and if so, do you do a mid-OCI filter change (at 5K mi) since it's so easy being topside?

My plan is to go 10K on oil and filter. This usually ends up being in the 9k+ range when i can find a convenient time and not risk going over.

I ask because the Euro Indy shop near me advises everyone to go 5k. He is a well respected shop/tuner.

I ended up doing my own service because it 'only' cost me $65.
Dealer charges $100
Indy charges $90

Factory calls for 10k on my car. If I do it early, it's at 8 or 9k. Don't change the filter either, it's a cartridge and not that cheap. Oil sump holds 8.5 quarts on one car and 7.5 on the other. I figure all that extra oil over other cars probably means the oil doesn't wear out as quickly on other cars with smaller sumps.

I change the oil in a 2016 Passat with the 1.8 liter EA888 twice a year at somewhere between 7000 and 9000 miles and change the filter cartridge once a year. It has 51,000 miles now, and doing great - not that it means much as that's still low mileage.

09 GTI 187,000 miles. Oil changed every 5,000, filter every 10,000. Used topside oil extractor and mostly 0w40 Mobil 1, recently migrated to Castrol Edge. Recently had the intake manifold replaced for the third time. First two were covered under warranty, so I am not sure if the intake valves were cleaned or not. Pictures from the third time.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by wemay
...and if so, do you do a mid-OCI filter change (at 5K mi) since it's so easy being topside?

My plan is to go 10K on oil and filter. This usually ends up being in the 9k+ range when i can find a convenient time and not risk going over.

I ask because the Euro Indy shop near me advises everyone to go 5k. He is a well respected shop/tuner.

Dealer charges $100
Indy charges $90

If nothing else I've done the opposite quite often. 10k oci with filter change at 20k.

Dealer charges $100
Indy charges $90

This curent OC is going all the way till I turn the lease in.

Dealer put wrong oil in on a 5K oci.

They ain't doing it again on my wallet

Dealer charges $100
Indy charges $90

Yes I follow the OCI on my EA888 1.8T. Currently sitting at ~22,000 miles. I talked to a service advisor at a well respected dealership (yes they exist) and he said the Castrol 5w40 (at the time they still used Castrol) was rated for something like 12,500 miles. I recently just had my new local dealership change the oil and collected a sample. Not a whole 10,000 mile interval, more like 8600 miles (with a top up in there) and the Valvoline I used had plenty of juice left in it. Link to UOA

Interestingly enough, I also talked to a local indy shop that only specializes in Audi/VW and they said the same thing. 5,000 - 7,500 mile oil changes if I was going for longevity. It's a toss up for me honestly. My UOA showed the oil had plenty of life left in it at 8600 miles and I don't pound my car around either so I don't think it's worth stressing over FOR ME so I'll just stick with 10,000 mile OCI. That and it's easy to remember too.

Use the right oil (508?) and go to 10k miles, and then get a Used Oil Analysis. Everything is opinion, but a UOA will bring some fact into the discussion.

I changed mine at 5k miles, but it is a GLI and I am not too gentle, so just being safe. I will get a UOA soon.

9k last time and its tuned with the IS20 turbo (1.8) and I beat on it.

Inked18-GOLF-SW-200210_UOA_30K_clean.jpg

I had a 2016 Audi A4 and still have 2016 Passat 1.8L. 5000 mile OCI with filter at the same time. I have never owned a turbocharged engine and this interval helps my piece of mind. It is easy for me to remember every 5000 + I do it myself so not too expensive. I take advantage of Mobil 1 Spring rebate and I mail order oil filters, approx. $10 each.

Originally Posted by RustyH
I had a 2016 Audi A4 and still have 2016 Passat 1.8L. 5000 mile OCI with filter at the same time. I have never owned a turbocharged engine and this interval helps my piece of mind. It is easy for me to remember every 5000 + I do it myself so not too expensive. I take advantage of Mobil 1 Spring rebate and I mail order oil filters, approx. $10 each.

Buts Rusty it easy to remember 7500 and 10000 also.

You car also has a computerized maintenace minder so you don't have to remember anything.

Actually its also easy to remember Birthdays or Spring or Fall. These work well if you drive around

9K-12K a year.

Remember you are running ( i hope) a ultra premium synthetic oil with one of the best specification for automobile engines.

5k miles is a waste.

Maybe take a baby step to 7.5K next?

I'm a new TDi Owner and trying a 10k OCI is tough for me too! I'm right at 5000 miles now and itching to change it! LOL I think its a BITOG sickness thing....
wink.gif

I I have the CKRA in my Passat with all the emissions Junk (DEF, DPF, SCR etc) so I know it is harder on oil than a regular gasser.

The VW508.00 approval does appear very stout as i've seen a few UOA and it can clearly go the distance plus some. 2900 into the current change and no smell of fuel, change in level, and the oil is still amber.

When my commute was 120 miles a day, yes I got away with the 10,000 mile OCI.

Now that I have half the commute when I drive, but most of the time it is 5 miles to meet the vanpool and 5 to get home, so it's 5000 mile OCI now

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
When my commute was 120 miles a day, yes I got away with the 10,000 mile OCI.

Now that I have half the commute when I drive, but most of the time it is 5 miles to meet the vanpool and 5 to get home, so it's 5000 mile OCI now

We do with Tiguan at most 5k a year, so it is 5k OCI.

I dont know about your warranty requirements but the accepted wisdom on VWVortex is to change every 5000 miles. The argument over 502 or 503 or 504 or 505 will never end.

Last edited:
Any numerical following is easy to remember. Just pick a number and do simple math.
For how many decades did we follow the 3K OCI religion?.... many. So 4s, 5s, 6s, and 7s are easy to multiply too. Simple math. I learned the multiplication table, by the time I was 10 years old ...... around 4th or 5th Grade.

Any number from 1 to 10 is easily multiplied. No calculator required for assistance. Even every 11, 12,13,14,15K is easily multiplied. But a few Public Schoolers may need a calculator for those.....lol. I went to a Catholic School from 1956-1969, where teaching was more disciplined & stricter than a public school.

Originally Posted by Olas
I dont know about your warranty requirements but the accepted wisdom on VWVortex is to change every 5000 miles. The argument over 502 or 503 or 504 or 505 will never end.

505 is the best because it's the highest number, right? RIGHT??

Originally Posted by BurntMusic
Originally Posted by Olas

505 is the best because it's the highest number, right? RIGHT??

504 is gas
505 is for older diesels.

if you go by highest number, then it is the low HTHS 508/509

'17 Golf Sp Wagen purchased new;
OCI with filter at 5800 to 6000 miles so far (2nd oc just done early Feb and approx. 2nd anniversary). Typically at 10 months to 1 year for those miles, dealer does this at a pretty fair cost as I usually find a deal or coupon. First one was $40 I think.

I would def stretch it out if I were doing the miles like ^ edyvw . Probably just monitor level and color a bit for consistency though.

Last edited:
Back