Stock market!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by gfh77665
Try to look a year into the future. While literally anything is possible, most would agree the thing will pass. When it does, the economy will roar to life, fuelled by pent up demand. Restraunts, movie theaters, car dealerships, WalMarts, and sporting events will flood with people wanting to spend and get out and do things. Flights will be booked soild, rentals booked up, and the freeways will be full of vacationers. Hiring will zoom and factories will max out production. All the economic activity will feed on itself creating even more...

The sun is gonna shine again.
cool.gif

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by JOD

A lot of the damage is already priced in.
The market is "forward looking".
Steep crashes are usually followed by steep rebounds. V shaped.
Production cannot resume 100% in an instant, but at some point pent up demand will make the economy roar ahead.

If you are a bear, did you short the market before? Are you shorting it now?

I won't speak for anyone but myself: I'm never shorting anything. I don't root for things to fail. Just not how I'm wired. All I'm risking is unrealized gains by pulling my money, and I'm OK with that.

I'm also pretty conservative, even with the stuff I set aside for day trading. As a for instance, I had buy orders in for Boeing @ 95, 90 and 85. Unfortunately, a 25/25/50 split (never got to $85...oops...). I have a 10% of share sell orders in at 160 and 180, 5% at 200. I'll hold the rest, since I will have paid for original stocks and then some. I know it's going to go up, a lot, eventually. The Lazy B is as much of a sure thing as you can find.

This is how a pessimistic bear can still make some money, but hedge a bit. Not suggesting this strategy for anyone else, but it's how I can play around a bit and not get sick to my stock about losses or unrealized gains (a little sick to my stomach about the purchase split, but I'll get over it).

I am 100% new to t he stock market, but dumped $2500 into it to give it a little yank on the handle and see what happens.

Bought 4.78 shares of Boeing at $99.40
Bought 55 shares of Carnival at $9.05
Bought 14.86 shares of Delta at $33.63
Bought 247 shares of Helix Energy at $2.02
Bought 34 shares of Enterprise Products at $14.59

Also got 3 free stocks from the app I use from friends joining. My total investment seed money is $2500, and right now my portfolio is valued at $3252. My goal is to turn this into a PVS15 or PVS14 and a MAWL C1 in another year, depending on how it performs. This is presuming I don't die of the very thing that has enabled me to make these investments. Irony on several levels going on here.

Being new as of 1.5 weeks ago to stocks and all that jazz, I just hope I made smart choices. I am intelligent, but I am also ignorant, so I did the best with the resources at my disposal to make these investments, and a dose of Dunning-Kruger went into the mix for sure!

Please stay on topic. If all anyone can contribute is unsupported doom and gloom keep it to yourself.

There are plenty of places to go and wallow in hysteria and despair, that's not going to be BITOG.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I made ~$7k today on my stocks that I bought last week. Let it ride! Let's hope it keeps going up.

So what are you up for 2019 / 2020 so far?

Originally Posted by DallasTexas
Day before yesterday funded my IRA, time to buy.

Economy is going to be in shambles for 12-18 months. I am retired but do part-time gig to keep funding IRA.
This virus is going to change US forever there's going to be more working from home, less fuel usage, less car wear and tear, lower car sales, less clothing sales, less beauty products sales and will have ripple effect through the economy.

Yes, I agree.
There are going to be ups and downs and there are clearly going to be some winning stocks. But to think, this whole things is going to be in the past in just a few months is foolish.
For me though, yes, I am fully invested and will stay that way in select companies. Gosh if I could I would invest more...

Someone posted a post or two above mine, invested $2,500. I think he will be happy in two years tops. Look like some good choices. I say this not checking into the choices but they are beaten up and doubtful to go out of business. :eek:) I am Leary of the travel industry. I think people will be scarred a long time, at least I will, cruise industry has had this issue before but this was the ultimate. Yet again, I guess if I was always right I wouldn't be posting in here. *L*

One thing to remember, for some companies they have been knocked down so far, that their P/E will be in line with the new much lower earnings projections. With that said, I would think the market itself will be pricing a lower P/E across the board, Yet, money will continue to pour into 401k's which the funds MUST invest.

So we will see, Also important to keep in mind, the news does not drive the stock market.
The stock market drives the news. More or less, whatever the market does on any given day, a brain dead reporter comes up with a reason why it did and then publishes it. There is always news to fit the market no matter which way the market goes...

(ex. there is no way to know if the market goes up if the 2 trillion package goes through, for many, its already priced into the market, people positioned themselves knowing that congress will sooner or later pass it, so to me, there is just as much chance of an upside as a downside, the public will start buying and the traders start selling into it. just an example, no way to know and why I say, there is always news to fit which way the market goes)

Last edited:
playing SPXU/UPRO I'm up +100% since this COVID-19 mess started, I thrive in the volatility with a iPhone.
seems if you miss a call just let it sit a day, lol.

I read 90%of these deaths are people on ACE inhibitors, a enzyme associated with the medication is suspected.

3.28 million unemployment number which shatters 665K back in March 2009 just announced this morning.

For the record, I have a small LLC that buys and sells refurbished equipment so I keep my eyes open what's going on with my customers.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by JOD

Production cannot resume 100% in an instant, but at some point pent up demand will make the economy roar ahead.

I won't speak for anyone but myself: I'm never shorting anything. I don't root for things to fail. Just not how I'm wired. All I'm risking is unrealized gains by pulling my money, and I'm OK with that.

I'm also pretty conservative, even with the stuff I set aside for day trading. As a for instance, I had buy orders in for Boeing @ 95, 90 and 85. Unfortunately, a 25/25/50 split (never got to $85...oops...). I have a 10% of share sell orders in at 160 and 180, 5% at 200. I'll hold the rest, since I will have paid for original stocks and then some. I know it's going to go up, a lot, eventually. The Lazy B is as much of a sure thing as you can find.

This is how a pessimistic bear can still make some money, but hedge a bit. Not suggesting this strategy for anyone else, but it's how I can play around a bit and not get sick to my stock about losses or unrealized gains (a little sick to my stomach about the purchase split, but I'll get over it).

I am 100% new to t he stock market, but dumped $2500 into it to give it a little yank on the handle and see what happens.

Also got 3 free stocks from the app I use from friends joining. My total investment seed money is $2500, and right now my portfolio is valued at $3252. My goal is to turn this into a PVS15 or PVS14 and a MAWL C1 in another year, depending on how it performs. This is presuming I don't die of the very thing that has enabled me to make these investments. Irony on several levels going on here.

Being new as of 1.5 weeks ago to stocks and all that jazz, I just hope I made smart choices. I am intelligent, but I am also ignorant, so I did the best with the resources at my disposal to make these investments, and a dose of Dunning-Kruger went into the mix for sure!

Being new to the markets I would consider these other options as well.

Contribute to your 401k or similar at work.
Use broad sector ETFs for better diversification.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by JOD

Being new to the markets I would consider these other options as well.

Contribute to your 401k or similar at work.
Use broad sector ETFs for better diversification.

I am a peon. No 401K.
I considered EFT's, but Dunning-Kruger won out, and I picked my own.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
For a zero cost way to get into the market, in a broad based strategy, the Schwab Intelligent Portfolio is a good option.
It is self adjusting. Good luck!

Intelligent Portfolio

So far I have been in for a week and a half and my performance is +32.48%. How does this compare for the last 1.5 weeks using other stuff, I wonder? I am curious how I do at/by the end of one year. Part of this was just an experiment to see how bright I really am at this "game".

Well since I did not get out before everything went south at least for the last couple of days things are looking positive. If it will last I don't know but since I am stuck in I have no choice but to ride it out. Was putting pause on a contract for the purchase of vacant land to build our dream home as its a cash purchase. Gonna have to pull the pin and hope!! Something we just can't predict or control!!!

I pulled out some of the basis dollars for the ones that went into the green today and left whatever was gains. Still a lot in the red, though.

For a zero cost way to get into the market, in a broad based strategy, the Schwab Intelligent Portfolio is a good option.

Intelligent Portfolio

Good recommendation for folks not trying to pick the winners and avoid the losers.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Intelligent Portfolio

So far I have been in for a week and a half and my performance is +32.48%. How does this compare for the last 1.5 weeks using other stuff, I wonder? I am curious how I do at/by the end of one year. Part of this was just an experiment to see how bright I really am at this "game".

You cannot use one week and a half to base judgement on anything, let alone the markets.

The Schwab suggestion is excellent.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Intelligent Portfolio

Congrats on your outstanding gain.
If you could replicate this over time, or even half of this, you would be the greatest stock picker in history!

Seriously, there is no formula, no 1 strategy, no super analyst, no set of super computer algorithms that win all the time.
I suggest a long term strategy; such a strategy will give you a good chance to be quite successful over the long run.

The Schwab Intelligent product is really good for new investors with perhaps $5K to $50K to work with.
As time and your $$ goes up, you will disgard this type of product and replace it with a more personal set of investments.
You will pay for these, hopefully with low load funds.
You can also pick stocks on your own. Many people who have posted here seem to do this. I don't.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by dblshock
I read 90%of these deaths are people on ACE inhibitors, a enzyme associated with the medication is suspected.

Have never heard this from any source, and I look at many. If that was hot news I'd think it would be coming from many sources by now.

The Stock Market does seem to be recovering, but it could be just lots of investors looking for a "good deal" and jumping in thinking it hit bottom. If it's a just a dead cat bounce from people buying in, then more time will tell.

Killing it in this market. So fortunate to have a home sale fund last week to get into this action. Up over 30% and will keep playing this volatility.

I havent come back simply because I have other things to do. I wanted to let everyone know though how I decided we were nearing or at the bottom of the market. Its just one simple chart and thats the stocks moving over/under the 150 day average. There are different variations on this chart, but this one chart I think says it all.

There is a danger here in playing individual stocks because in the past when stocks went up after being oversold not all of them go back up. In the market reasons dont matter. I think a nuclear bomb can go off and the market still trades without everyone.

You could make an argument that XOM and CVX are at decades lows and ride that up. You could say the Carnival Cruiselines and United Airlines got way oversold. However, the Saudis might come in again to blow the oil market out the window or maybe no one goes on the cruiselines or airlines for a while. The result is those individual stocks not going up. I noted that UAL retreated today in the face of a roaring market. I would say thats not a positive sign.

To be honest with all the calamity on the cruiselines I wouldnt even consider going on one until a vaccine is found for the virus.

Therefore I am not "trading". I am simply going to ride up a few ETFS and when I feel the market has gotten a bit overblown then I will sell out. Im smart enough to know that "trading" eventually ends up a disaster and most of the calls on message boards like this one are after the fact. No one posts their brokerage tickets.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back