Cursed by the dreaded Ford Swollen lug nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some maintenance on the wife's 2014 Fusion and discovered many damaged/rounded lug nuts. Did some research and realized this was a common issue with their 2 piece design lug nuts. I ordered a set of 1 piece McGard lug nuts. I could install all but one by hammering on a socket. I am going to have to use some type of special remover tool. for that one.

Anyone else have to deal with this nonsense?

I see it every time I go to Discount Tire--there is always someone in there that has to hear DT say "Sorry, we have to replace the lug nuts or we will not be able to perform the work." They are not lying about it either and even have samples of the bad lug nuts on the counters to show customers. My oldest sons Mustang had this garbage on it and we had to replace all of them at about 30K miles.

Lug nuts with separate chrome jacket on them have been around for... half a century? Yes they are annoying, just another example of a cheaper way to get a certain appearance.

Last edited:
They seem to hold up OK unless someone does not get the socket all the way on or the wrong size socket. It only takes a fraction of a sec either on or off if the socket slips midway up the nut your done. I dont have a Ford but the Dodge chromed steel wheels use these jacketed lug nuts too. The first time I had the tires replaced I ended up having to replace 3 lug nuts the next time I went to rotate them. I hate letting other people work on my truck. Those lugs held up for 60k miles and 12 rotations when I did the work.

Last edited:
Yes, they are garbage. I ran into a lot of them on 2000s Chryslers. Corrosion can develop between the nut and the jacket swelling it, so the correct size socket won't fit or fits poorly, and it's downhill from there.

Originally Posted by samven
They seem to hold up OK unless someone does not get the socket all the way on or the wrong size socket. It only takes a fraction of a sec either on or off if the socket slips midway up the nut your done. I dont have a Ford but the Dodge chromed steel wheels use these jacketed lug nuts too. The first time I had the tires replaced I ended up having to replace 3 lug nuts the next time I went to rotate them. I hate letting other people work on my truck. Those lugs held up for 60k miles and 12 rotations when I did the work.

Not just a tooling issue but here in the salt belt corrosion WILL get them to swell eventually.

Originally Posted by samven
They seem to hold up OK unless someone does not get the socket all the way on or the wrong size socket.

And then Mercedes came up with the brilliant "flower" wheel bolt.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Lug nuts with separate chrome jacket on them have been around for... half a century? Yes they are annoying, just another example of a cheaper way to get a certain appearance.

Yes - I remember that the '76 Pontiac Bonneville Brougham that my parents had way back when had them (Pontiac "Rallye II" wheels) . They did eventually have to be replaced as the covers/jackets got deformed and that made removal very difficult. I have had/have several vehicles with these lug nuts - awful.

Andrew S.

Last edited:
jeep cherokee lug bolts are notorious for this.

I damaged a couple when my 19mm socket cracked under the plastic sleeve(couldnt see it)

I then preemptively replaced them all with 1 piece bolts.

if anyone needs some OEM jeep cherokee lug bolts I'd send them out for shipping.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Did some maintenance on the wife's 2014 Fusion and discovered many damaged/rounded lug nuts. Did some research and realized this was a common issue with their 2 piece design lug nuts. I ordered a set of 1 piece McGard lug nuts. I could install all but one by hammering on a socket. I am going to have to use some type of special remover tool. for that one.

They sell a socket that is 1/2 mm over. So (example) 18.5mm. Had the issue on my Jeep. Went to SS lugnuts.

In the north swollen lug nuts are caused by corrosion.
Int the south they are caused by impact wrenches and worn out sockets.

DT bought me a complete set of Gorilla nuts due to impact wrenches and worn out sockets.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by jhellwig
Biggest cause on gm ones is using a 3/4" socket instead of a 19mm. Had that issue several times

3/4" is .002" bigger than 19mm, I've never had issues using a 3/4" socket on 19mm lugnuts. My Snap-on deep chrome is my goto lug socket.

I put these on my son's 2016 Ford Escape because of the factory lug nuts not loosening or coming off without hammering on a smaller socket first. Went with these because of the cost plus they are the factory sized 19mm (3/4). No need to have a different socket just for the other brand AND the factory lug wrench still works on them, again without having to carry a special set up in the car. Bought them on Amazon

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I flood them with Fluid Film when new and never use an impact gun - they never swell, corrode or break doing that.

I deal with this far too often up here in the North, and it isn't manufacturer dependent. I've had to reject lug nuts on Mopars, GM's, Ford's, Land Rovers, etc. It's really tough to explain to a customer why they need to be replaced, but if I can't fit a socket on them comfortably then there's no way for me to know if they're torqued. Safety is safety.

Originally Posted by ls973800

I put these on my son's 2016 Ford Escape because of the factory lug nuts not loosening or coming off without hammering on a smaller socket first. Went with these because of the cost plus they are the factory sized 19mm (3/4). No need to have a different socket just for the other brand AND the factory lug wrench still works on them, again without having to carry a special set up in the car. Bought them on Amazon

[Linked Image]

How are they holding up against rust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back