Yearly oil change for Lexus GX460?

Originally Posted by MrWideTires
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by tundraotto
I would pick Mobil 1 5W-30 AP and a FRAM Ultra if they make one for that application and call it great for a full year, no problem.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Those darn Toyotas last too long. I didn't buy one because I would get bored driving it for 30 years.
10 years is my non-boredom limit with our new very inexpensive and non-trustworthy engine Korean models. That's why I chose them......lol

I hate buying cars, the dealer process, and paying taxes for them every time!
All the men in my family have a tradition of having 1 sedan and 1 SUV, both paid off and keeping them forever; and I'm no different haha.. I have my 500hp STI weekend car that's paid off, and I specifically bought a GX because it's a land cruiser prado so it should last forever and I can turn it into an overlander to enjoy for the next 20+ years.

Heck my grandpa hasn't changed his vehicles since 1984! Both still run perfectly
smile.gif

Got a pic of that 84'? Some wouldn't be caught dead in a vehicle that old and likely looks really old & worn too.
My brother-in-law likes running around in beaters. He has 1+M in ready cash available to him. I absolutely won't drive junks like his.
We only live once. If we have the $$, then reward yourself with nice, commonsense things. It does no good stuffing all that bank money and stocks, inside a casket.

We can't take it with us and even our inheritance kids would agree that we shouldn't be driving junks in our golden years - not with a bank account that's plentiful.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
I would pick Mobil 1 5W-30 AP and a FRAM Ultra if they make one for that application and call it great for a full year, no problem.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Those darn Toyotas last too long. I didn't buy one because I would get bored driving it for 30 years.
10 years is my non-boredom limit with our new very inexpensive and non-trustworthy engine Korean models. That's why I chose them......lol

I hate buying cars, the dealer process, and paying taxes for them every time!
All the men in my family have a tradition of having 1 sedan and 1 SUV, both paid off and keeping them forever; and I'm no different haha.. I have my 500hp STI weekend car that's paid off, and I specifically bought a GX because it's a land cruiser prado so it should last forever and I can turn it into an overlander to enjoy for the next 20+ years.

Heck my grandpa hasn't changed his vehicles since 1984! Both still run perfectly
smile.gif

Got a pic of that 84'? Some wouldn't be caught dead in a vehicle that old and likely looks really old & worn too.
My brother-in-law like running around in beaters. I absolutely won't.
We only live once If we have the $$, then reward yourself with nice, commonsense things. It does no good stuffing all that bank money and stocks, inside a casket.

We can't take it with us and even our inheritance kids would agree that we shouldn't be driving junks in our golden years - not with a bank account that's plentiful.

8F0DE140-ABBF-4ABA-AFD5-096B1D942FFB.jpeg

Florida suv.
It wouldn't look like that, here in our road salted Midwest.

I would certainly drive that and not be embarassed. Thanks for the reply / pic.
I want that orange Beetle Bug behind it. The VW looks like a mid-60s model I had. Mine was darkish green and the last two years I drove it, it had no reverse.....lol

Last edited:
Florida suv.
It wouldn't look like that, here in our road salted Midwest.

I would certainly drive that and not be embarassed. Thanks for the reply / pic.
I want that orange Beetle Bug behind it. The VW looks like a mid-60s model I had. Mine was darkish green and the last two years I drove it, it had no reverse.....lol

That photo is from Peru, where my grandpa lives. It's a bit rough on cars because it's a 13 million people city with rough roads, but here in Florida I don't worry about rust.

I do want a VW bus, maybe growing up in Peru I learned to love those old air cooled VWs.

Originally Posted by walterjay
I agree that if you want a half million mile engine you should change it more frequently.

+1. If you want maximum life out of the engine, do oil changes every 7-8k miles vs. Lexus recommended 10K.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Originally Posted by walterjay
I agree that if you want a half million mile engine you should change it more frequently.

+1. If you want maximum life out of the engine, do oil changes every 7-8k miles vs. Lexus recommended 10K.

10K looks good in the brochure and will get the car past the warranty. That's it.

PUPP or PPPP or PPHM 5W30 paired with a Fram Ultra run to the max 10K. Get a UOA like others mentioned if your gonna proceed to 12K.

I don't understand buying a very expensive vehicle name-brand, then go nickels & dimes on the maintenance.

Wouldn't call a 9 year old car, even a Lexus very expensive, but why waste money if you don't need to? With people here going over 10,000 miles on an oil change, not replacing the oil filter at 1200 miles won't hurt a thing.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I don't understand buying a very expensive vehicle name-brand, then go nickels & dimes on the maintenance.

Wouldn't call a 9 year old car, even a Lexus very expensive, but why waste money if you don't need to? With people here going over 10,000 miles on an oil change, not replacing the oil filter at 1200 miles won't hurt a thing.

This. I paid $17,900 for it... and Lexus actually specifies 10,000 mile oil changes.. hence why it has a pretty big sump.

10k is pretty standard nowadays, specially for a port injected low-output motor.

My Colorado told me to go by the OLM. First one went on at 13.2K, 1K after my third oil change. Then it's gone-on at 10.3K ever since - like clockwork, no matter when I did the oil change or not.
Within two years of owning that vehicle (I still own it today), I ripped that page out of the Owners Manual after seeing that.

Treat your vehicle better than-what a stranger that's never even seen your engine says.

Last edited:
Genuine Toyota Motor oil and Toyota filter. Oil runs me about $6 a quart and filter $4-$7 at local Toyota dealer. If you're doing once a year $58 for a diy oil change sounds pretty good. $5 a month. I have 2015 Lexus IS with 50k miles. Have always used Toyota, makes me feel good, I do 5k OCI again just makes me feel good.

I THINK the recommend OCI is 1 year or mileage limit.
Anyways, I would do a spill and fill within a couple of months.

Your call.

I would recommend that you buy a filter made by the supplier to Lexus. There have been horror stories on several forums about how aftermarket filters collapse or disintegrate over time. I own a bimmer and use filters made by Mann, only.

Well I picked up some M1 0w30 AFE.. but just one jug, I'll mix it with the supertech 5w30 I have in my garage.

I'll do around 8k and then test probably.

I got a new daily driver, 2011 GX460 with 143k miles, the miles don't worry me one bit because being a Toyota product I have no doubts I'll be able to put down 500k miles on this beast.

You ain't going 500,000 miles with 12K oil changes no matter how good the engine or how good the oil.

I'm with atikovi and JeffKeryk on this.

I only use Toyota Filters from a Lexus dealer at $5 each including an oil drain plug gasket. I tried the Fumoto drains and couldn't do it. The way they hung down scared me. Lesson learned. Sold them here on bitog.

If you are going for 500K (as I am you) should consider maximum OCI at 5k. I am doing between 3K-5k or 6 months max on all my Toyota/Lexus. I don't think the brand
of oil makes a whole lot of difference. The OCI is "everything,"

I now just use a name brand (Pennzoil, QS, Shell, etc) and stock up when on sale. I tried some of the "no name" oils and they just didn't give me a warm and fuzzy.

I wonder how your seals and gaskets will like yearly changes or 12k changes? Oil does more than just lubricate metal and carry contaminants.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
I got a new daily driver, 2011 GX460 with 143k miles, the miles don't worry me one bit because being a Toyota product I have no doubts I'll be able to put down 500k miles on this beast.

You ain't going 500,000 miles with 12K oil changes no matter how good the engine or how good the oil.

I'm with atikovi and JeffKeryk on this.

I only use Toyota Filters from a Lexus dealer at $5 each including an oil drain plug gasket. I tried the Fumoto drains and couldn't do it. The way they hung down scared me. Lesson learned. Sold them here on bitog.

If you are going for 500K (as I am you) should consider maximum OCI at 5k. I am doing between 3K-5k or 6 months max on all my Toyota/Lexus. I don't think the brand
of oil makes a whole lot of difference. The OCI is "everything,"

I now just use a name brand (Pennzoil, QS, Shell, etc) and stock up when on sale. I tried some of the "no name" oils and they just didn't give me a warm and fuzzy.

I wonder how your seals and gaskets will like yearly changes or 12k changes? Oil does more than just lubricate metal and carry contaminants.

I did get the Fumoto, and soo glad I did.

When I changed the oil, 8 quarts come out violently. It's not even a smooth stream.. it got everywhere.
The fumoto valve will make it easy and clean, and I can even drain it *straight* into jugs this way.

I'm using a K&N filter but I will go to a Lexus or Toyota dealer and pickup a few OEM ones for the following changes.

Update:
This is from a Sequoia with the same 4.6 V8 as the GX460.

950k miles with oil changes every 15k, Mobil 1.
Apparently this motor is pretty easy on oil..

4F4DC531-147D-4ABE-99D5-1A5227676ED3.png

You'll probably be fine. One thing I want to bring up: the oil filter cap tends to get super tight over time/heat cycles. Even if you torque it to 25 Nm / 19 ft-lbs, after a year of heat cycles, you'll probably need a big 1/2 in breaker bar to get it loose.

Update:
This is from a Sequoia with the same 4.6 V8 as the GX460.

950k miles with oil changes every 15k, Mobil 1.
Apparently this motor is pretty easy on oil..

Well, based on this info, you'd probably be able to go 20k per change.
smile.gif

Back