How fussy are you when buying a used vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love a car that needs tires. I have my own machine and can get deals on new & used rubber.

In fact, I love buying a car from the ADD-addled personality that sells a car that needs tires. They generally make bad financial decisions which helps those who interact with said people. Got a saturn for $250 with a stuck-open thermostat (no heat) and bald tires, owner bought a jeep because they "needed" the upgrade for winter. Gave the car to my BIL who proceeded to put 70k miles on it in 15 months driving down to Boston every day back when gas was $4/gallon until he blew the motor.

I want a car so shagged out that I "get the story" and it adds up as to why it's being sold. A $10k car has a lot of room for a flipper to hide issues. So I buy brand new or clapped out, nothing in between.
lol.gif

I'm VERY VERY fussy and picky.
Took me 4 months to buy the right car for my wife and apparently so far it was a great buy. Let time be your friend not your enemy when spending hard earned money.

I tend to keep my vehicles for long term (10+ years) so I am pretty fussy about finding exactly what I want and need, in good condition. That way I won't regret the purchase.

I may live out my life never buying a new vehicle, I just can't stomach that initial depreciation hit and I'm not yet independently wealthy enough that I don't care about that loss.

Originally Posted by spavel6
Most of my cars are sub $1k purchases, so I look for the least maintenance performed the better. That way I can do it all myself and know it's done properly.

My Passat had a recent timing belt with receipt. The thermostat (which is behind the belt) was frozen open. So I had to pull the timing belt, etc only to find that the shop that did the belt reused the old thermostat, and RTVed it back, instead of using a new $2 gasket
06.gif

Most cars I buy get a full new suspension, brakes, belts, fluids, etc.

I would rather spend less and do the maintenance myself.

This is me to a tee. I prefer to do my own as well because I suffer from the "if you want it done right..."disease.

Originally Posted by DGXR
I tend to keep my vehicles for long term (10+ years) so I am pretty fussy about finding exactly what I want and need, in good condition. That way I won't regret the purchase.

I may live out my life never buying a new vehicle, I just can't stomach that initial depreciation hit and I'm not yet independently wealthy enough that I don't care about that loss.

This as well. I never gave a second thought to buying a new vehicle simply because I would know the history behind said vehicle(s). Now that I am more handy with my own maintenance that is.

Originally Posted by Convert
When I buy a used car I dress and dirty old clothes my wife talks to the salesman I'd crawl underneath check it out I don't look at the pretty finish I want to see what's underneath oil leaks repaired surfaces Etc really freaks of salesman out to see my feet sticking out from underneath the car I actually did this also on a brand new car in the showroom freak them out

Yeah, they were freaked out because no one else does this. They probably thought you were a nut job.

For me, I was very picky. Took me 6 months to finally find the car I wanted. Basically I was looking for one that had many of the options I wanted. It's impossible to find one with all of them but I did get one that had many more than most. Tires, maintenance didn't really factor into it. The used car came with a 60 day warranty from the dealer so I didn't bother checking it out that much, did that afterward at a dealer and the problems they found were covered under the 60 day warranty.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Had one for new cars but what about us guys that only buy used.

It took me a year and a half to find my 08 Lucerne. I wanted a certain color for interior and exterior and a 3800 but no sun roof, leather or console and low miles.

I've had good luck with it, in the two years I've owned it I've had to replace door handle (froozen shut) battery and speakers, other wise it's been a great car.

My 89 GMC was my FIL's so it is what it is but only had 72k on it when I took possession.

Couple of years ago we were looking for a " road car " . Eventually found a 2006 Buick Lacrosse 3.8l with 36,000 + miles on the clock . We really like it . :)

I spent over a year looking for a replacement for my MS3. A Mustang GT Premium with the Performance Package and an STI were the primary new contenders, while on the used side I looked at a Boss 302, a Camaro SS 1LE, a Challenger SRT, an Elise, and an E39 M5. I ended up with a CPO M235i; fresh off a two year lease. It had a full BMW service history and was nailed to the floor at an Ohio dealer because it was January and the car was RWD- the common "wisdom" apparently being that driving a RWD car on anything but a dry straight road is akin to playing Russian Roulette with a revolver loaded with five bullets.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Originally Posted by IndyIan
I wanted another manual Focus wagon after my buddy crashed my old one at autocross, but they are getting rare so I couldn't be as picky as I'd like. I keep telling myself not to get hung up on a particular car model but its been nice having a parts car since the new has needed a few repairs. I almost got a newer Focus hatch but our autocross venue has some walls and I'd rather smash $2000 than $8000 if the worst happens again...

Yikes! Totalled the car at Autocross? Walls? Not good.

Aside: if it's a 1.9 engine it'd be an IB5 (???) transaxle; if it's a 2.0 litre you're after it'd be an MTX75 box. The latter is quite a job to repair but quite durable. The former has nice ratio spread, easy to repair.

Our best autocross venue is a 1/2 mile oval track which is quite fun and worth the risk in my old beaters! My friend would've been fine if he got on the brakes earlier but I think he missed them when he first started to lose it... I did find an 06 SE to replace the 07 SES, the 06 should be better with no sun roof, or leather, and even no ABS. Both my wagons have had the 2.0 duratec with the mtx75, and the trans does seem to have good ratios for autocross, just needs a taller 5th for the hwy.

Depends what I'm buying.

When we were shopping for my Wifes Jeep, the first car was faulty so we ended up getting a full refund. The second car we looked at I turned down for no other reason than it had been smoked in, other than the smell it was totally immaculate. In the end I just played it safe and bought a 7 month old ex-demo with 1,500miles on the clock.

My Volvo is my second V40. I had my first one a year and then upgraded to the second one because there was some features I wanted. Both cars were 6 months old with less than 10k on the clock when bought. The first one had some small smart repairs that you could only see with the trained eye, but both were generally immaculate.

The ST220 and the Defender are both 'projects'. The Mondeo ST220 I went out of my way to find something rough as cheap as possible knowing I would put a few thousand into it over a few years anyway.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Depends how much I'm spending on it.

This!!!

Second that.
The most I've ever paid for any used car was the ~$4500.00 I gave up for my old BMW, and only because it had reasonable miles (105K) and came with a ton of service history, including a recent new top.
If I'm spending real money for a car, I'll buy new.
You can always find a deal on a new vehicle. You just have to locate a couple of dealers who'll play seriously via email.
I also find the whole "initial depreciation" thing to be a specious argument.
It's not as though you'll part with a newly acquired car during its peak depreciation years and if you average the allocable capital cost over the expected life of the vehicle and throw in repair expense, a used vehicle saves you about nothing.
For those who want to drive something new every few years with no out-of-pocket repairs and in many cases even maintenance expense, the industry invented leasing and leases are often offered at highly concessionary rates.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by zzyzzx

This!!!

Second that.
The most I've ever paid for any used car was the ~$4500.00 I gave up for my old BMW, and only because it had reasonable miles (105K) and came with a ton of service history, including a recent new top.
If I'm spending real money for a car, I'll buy new.
You can always find a deal on a new vehicle. You just have to locate a couple of dealers who'll play seriously via email.
It's not as though you'll part with a newly acquired car during its peak depreciation years and if you average the allocable capital cost over the expected life of the vehicle and throw in repair expense, a used vehicle saves you about nothing.
For those who want to drive something new every few years with no out-of-pocket repairs and in many cases even maintenance expense, the industry invented leasing and leases are often offered at highly concessionary rates.

I think we've has this argument before. Picked up a used 6 year old car for about 1/3 of the new price. In terms of depreciation I think it's worth about 1/3 of what I paid for it 5.5 years ago. I'm ok with the 2k depreciation a year since getting it used. Nothing crazy on repairs either but some of the repairs I've done could have been thousands at the dealer but I managed to get them done for a few hundred at an indy. Some popular models don't have much depreciation a few years when they're new so you don't save much. Others have massive depreciation like luxury cars so they're great deals when used. You just can't make blanket statements these days and have to analyze each deal separately.

Depends on what I'm looking for.

My Explorer was in awful, badly neglected condition when I got it for $250. However, it had okay original paint in a color I like, full set of original saw blade wheels with all center caps, very dirty but intact interior, NO rust, very original overall, and the right features. It has cleaned up nicely, been surprisingly reliable, and is a vehicle I intend to keep a long time, but it was a project from the start.

If I needed to replace my 02 Ranger my criteria would be a little different. No rust would be important, but I'd probably care less about being in original condition and more concerned about being in good mechanical condition.

Your Mercedes almost certainly saw its first delivery as a lease at a friendly monthly rate, as is true of most of the high end German cars and BMW and Mercedes cars do have very heavy early depreciation.
I've gone the used Benz/BMW route a few times in the past with good results.
Do your homework, as I know you have and you can end up with a nice and satisfying to drive car on the cheap.
A nice Benz for less than new Camry or Accord money?
Easy and as long as you know what you're buying as well as what to avoid, the ownership experience can be surprisingly cheap.
So, while we have had this argument before, I'd argue that you and your Benzes represent a special case in that you did your research before taking the plunge and you shopped carefully for what you wanted, knowing that all of the toys add very little to the market value of a used vehicle.

Your Mercedes almost certainly saw its first delivery as a lease at a friendly monthly rate, as is true of most of the high end German cars and BMW and Mercedes cars do have very heavy early depreciation.
I've gone the used Benz/BMW route a few times in the past with good results.
Do your homework, as I know you have and you can end up with a nice and satisfying to drive car on the cheap.
A nice Benz for less than new Camry or Accord money?
Easy and as long as you know what you're buying as well as what to avoid, the ownership experience can be surprisingly cheap.
So, while we have had this argument before, I'd argue that you and your Benzes represent a special case in that you did your research before taking the plunge and you shopped carefully for what you wanted, knowing that all of the toys add very little to the market value of a used vehicle.

While I mostly agree, it's not really a special case because it all boils down to the depreciation. Camry and Accord make for bad used car purchases because there isn't much depreciation so in those cases, a good case can be made to buy new as you're not really saving much on the depreciation. On the other hand luxury vehicles which tend to have massive depreciation tend to make way better used cars and there's no way you can say it's almost the same to buy new. And having lots of options don't really affect the used car price much. I think in the end, I paid an extra 2-3k extra over a base model. But it's been worth every penny as I still enjoy driving it.

Buying crappy cars is one of the brightest elements of my life. I actually have the itch right now, but Craigslist is failing to provide me with something crappy enough.

I once bought a 1991 Mercedes 300E for $300. Parked in a field with the windows down, full of rainwater. There was some sort of plant or fungi growth in the back seat, but the tires still held air. I headed out there with a friend and a truck full of tools, and we worked on it for 8 hours to get it running so I could drive it home (about 15 miles). I had to keep the pedal on the floor the whole way to keep it from dying, and since the wiring was wet, the alarm was going off the entire way; flashing lights, horn, all that. I passed a cop on the way, but my friend was following me in my truck and he slowed down to let me get away. We also had to overfill the transmission (which, in other news, sometimes wouldn't go into reverse) because it leaked like a sieve and would have all drained out before I made it five miles. That was a fun car. I still get sad when I see pictures of it. But according to my precise records, I made $124 when I sold it. What a deal!

The 2008 Dodge Charger police car I have now I paid $900 for, with a fried ECU, messed up wiring, and skipped timing. I still have no idea how all those things were wrong at the same time, but I'm 95% sure the timing skipped because someone was doing neutral drops. Also the brake booster lines and egr lines were all messed up, but I think that was due to someone trying to fix it. I actually had to tow it home (with a trailer, not a ratchet strap). Now it runs fine of course, with a new timing belt, all new fluids, new tires, etc. It's been a nice car, great for taking on trips and getting pulled over in, but I think I'll sell it soon. The only vehicle I keep is my S10, which is manual.

One of the best times I ever had driving a used car home though wasn't even one of my cars. My friend brought me along to look at it and test drive it for him because he couldn't drive manual at the time (same friend who helped work on the Benz). It was a MK2 Jetta diesel, with an ailing turbo and some sort of brake issue. I say "some sort" because I don't know what exactly was wrong, but there were practically no brakes. On the test drive I almost had a heart attack when I hit the brakes approaching a stop sign, nothing happened (if I dug in with both feet and held the wheel with both hands, it would start to slow down). The man selling the car thought it was fine, and brilliant friend bought it anyway (it sounded like a tractor). I then drove it 50 miles home, leaving plenty of space between my bumper and his Avalon so I wouldn't hit him. I loved that car so much (I still have pictures of it on my phone). It became a major part of our lives for many months, and thank goodness I wasn't the one paying for parts. It was horrendous to work on, the brakes never did work right, the turbo was definitely messed up somehow, and it was so slow that my S10 could have beat it to while towing 5000lbs and with flat tires. But once it was driving it handled like it was on rails, and it just had so much character. And since he was tired of paying for parts my friend sold it and now drives a Chevy C/K which just isn't the same to me. The tragedies of life.

Sorry for the long stories, but this forum seems like the kind of place where y'all might enjoy it. Am I the only one who enjoys tinkering with junk?

This and what I am buying for.
If for me, I am not as picky, but I am not as concerned with reliability and looks as I would be if buying for my wife or daughter.

It's not as though you'll part with a newly acquired car during its peak depreciation years and if you average the allocable capital cost over the expected life of the vehicle and throw in repair expense, a used vehicle saves you about nothing....

Too many factors to say this applies to all vehicles.
When we got our '18 Santa Fe, I knew what I wanted, and took me about 2 months to find it.
Found one that was 9 months old with 10,000 miles on it. I got it for $10,000 less than the price of current new '18 models still on the lot.
I would say $1,000 for every 1000 miles driven depreciation is significant, but since purchased, actual value has dropped ~$3,000 in 14 months/10,000 more miles.
But then I do plan on keeping this vehicle for 10+ years.

I am actually about to start looking for a vehicle for my son who turns 16 next year. My plan is finding a 10 year old vehicle < $3,000, that so long as it is mechanically sound, known reliability of vehicle type and right price, I will get it. Don't care about color, options, or even moderate exterior damage (so long a not a neglect issue).

I have debated looking at some police auction Crown Vics just for giggles, but seems around here they go for way to much for what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back