Initial Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2017 Tahoe 5.3L that was a theft with 77,000 miles on it. Having no knowledge of any maintenance that has been done. I was going to change the oil and filter and run it for 500 miles and change it again. What oil do you all suggest would be the best for higher detergent content.

Any Dexos for that short run … I'd be worried it has factory fill in the differential …

2WD or 4WD ?

Originally Posted by Plimbob
I was going to change the oil and filter and run it for 500 miles and change it again.

3 or 4 miles would be enough to mix the oil thoroughly. Change it again then if you want a fresh start.

500 mile fill and dump, i would go with super tech or napa 5w30 dino.. wouldn't waste synthetic

I bought a 2017 Tahoe 5.3L that was a theft with 77,000 miles on it. Having no knowledge of any maintenance that has been done. I was going to change the oil and filter and run it for 500 miles and change it again. What oil do you all suggest would be the best for higher detergent content.

Check the oil dipstick at 500 miles and unless the oil is dirty black, leave it in. Odds are, it's amber brown and good-to-go for another 1K at-least.

All the oils are similar.

Sorry Guys - Its a 4WD. I was planning on the diffs & Transfer case as well.

Also, going to drain the trans and replace the filter and fluid. I was planning on using AC Delco Dex VI for that. Any other suggestions for trans fluid?

I use Valvoline trans fluid in my 07 Tahoe (289,000 miles on it) and it seems to shift fine ,etc.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
500 mile fill and dump, i would go with super tech or napa 5w30 dino.. wouldn't waste synthetic

I agree with that, good inexpensive 5w30, maybe do 2 500 OCI, 3 5 quart jugs can be had for less than $50 and 2 $7 oil filters, so for less than $70, for piece of mind. I have a 2000 Suburban ready to turn 250k. I've maintained for 20 years on a steady diet of ACDelco 5w30 and ACDelco oil filter with 3k OCI. It's a legendary motor.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny

Or, PYB.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Check the oil dipstick at 500 miles and unless the oil is dirty black, leave it in. Odds are, it's amber brown and good-to-go for another 1K at-least.

I agree.

Don't change the oil unless you see it get dark.

IT WILL - - - - if the engine is really dirty inside.

Make note of the mileage at the point this occurs.

Just use any cheap oil to accomplish this task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back