Mobil one oil filter cut open. Disappointed.

This filter did around 3k. I have never used a mobil1 filter before because I honestly think they are over priced. But I had heard good things on here from them and it was between that and fram which I'm not a fan of either. The 2011 honda crv kept sounding like it was having dry starts. I went and checked everything and came to the conclusion it was a faulty anti drainback valve. Cut it open and sure enough. Note the metal flakes on the filter as well.

20200326_173335.jpg

20200326_173339.jpg

20200326_173348.jpg

20200326_173406.jpg

20200326_173423.jpg

20200326_173443.jpg

Disappointing. Mobil 1 Oil Filters now use the same baseplate as Fram and Super Tech for my application. M1-103A vs ST 4967. Mobil 1 Oil Filters are over priced IMO. Nearly $11 for blended media with the same build quality as their $2.97 discount filter. I'd rather use the Super Tech E-Core for a normal OCI and save the $8.

Originally Posted by walterjay
You should contact the manufacturer and send them the info and pics.

Sure, but what would they do? Refund me 12 buck because the filter was still in that year warranty?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Is that new stock or old stock? Someone here mentioned Mobil-1 filters have changed suppliers and many have Ecore cages.

All I could tell you is it was bought in January. Is there a way to tell?

This is exactly what should be done, rather then posting here first. Unless of course you don't want them to see the failure mode?

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Is that new stock or old stock? Someone here mentioned Mobil-1 filters have changed suppliers and many have Ecore cages.

All I could tell you is it was bought in January. Is there a way to tell?

Our Governor has ordered all non-essential workers to stay home and remain indoors AMAP. So I am avoiding large crowds at our Walmart, my favorite place to have a peek at new Mobil-1 filters.
The main roads here now look like Sunday morning at 6:00AM...... hardly no one moving about. It could be May b/4 I inspect new Mobil-1 filters there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

This is exactly what should be done, rather then posting here first. Unless of course you don't want them to see the failure mode?

I was just on there website however the contact us was only for businesses and wouldn't let me submit the issue. If someone has a link to the customer service I'll report it up.

This filter did around 3k. I have never used a mobil1 filter before because I honestly think they are over priced. But I had heard good things on here from them and it was between that and fram which I'm not a fan of either.

Why didn't you just use a $5 Honda filter?

They didn't sell them at wal-mart. I usually buy filters for my vehicle online or wherever there is a sale. This was what we picked up at walmart for my mother's vehicle.

Has there ever been another found like this on a Champ lab/ Mobil1? Probably got caught in a machine somewhere and still got installed. It happens. They may send a new one if a picture is sent to them. Is there some part of the filter missing in the pics?

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Has there ever been another found like this on a Champ lab/ Mobil1? Probably got caught in a machine somewhere and still got installed. It happens. They may send a new one if a picture is sent to them. Is there some part of the filter missing in the pics?

I didn't upload the housing and the base plate.

Odd that it looks like that.

You did not see an issue with that ADBV flap during the install?

How was it pinched in assembly to cause that tear.

I am curious for more.

Recently we've seen GONHER NISSAN OEM ADBV flap open and be non functional too.

Now I'm worried about my aorta!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Odd that it looks like that.

You did not see an issue with that ADBV flap during the install?

How was it pinched in assembly to cause that tear.

I am curious for more.

Recently we've seen GONHER NISSAN OEM ADBV flap open and be non functional too.

Now I'm worried about my aorta!

I honestly didn't look. I told my mom about her car dry starting when I was home for a visit. She told me it's been doing that ever since I changed her oil so I assume it was like that from the get go. However it was hard to tell there was a tear without swishing it so the pieces come apart.

I was just on there website however the contact us was only for businesses and wouldn't let me submit the issue. If someone has a link to the customer service I'll report it up.

When I Google "Mobil 1 oil filters" and click on the first hit, I scrolled down to the "Contact us" on the main page. There are three methods of contact there, one is a specific 800 number for oil filters.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Originally Posted by kschachn

When I Google "Mobil 1 oil filters" and click on the first hit, I scrolled down to the "Contact us" on the main page. There are three methods of contact there, one is a specific 800 number for oil filters.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Got me. Sorry. Not very tech savvy. Thanks for the assist.

Back