Sizing Chainsaws

I'd look into either an MS261 Stihl or 550xp Husqvarna. I have a friend who has one of each and he claims the Husky cuts faster but the Stihl is better to handle so he generally uses it.

Personally I'm a Stihl guy and run an MS362 which would probably be overkill for your intended use. I know most are recommending against pro saws due to price but the power to weight ratio is a huge selling point for me on them.

Last edited:
For what you are describing, a 16" or 18" bar will do the job, the 18 would be a bit easier. I wouldn't go bigger - as others said, the bigger saws just tire you out more when you don't need it, unless you actually need it.

Buy whatever brand you like and feel like you can get serviced. Its kind of like a ford vs chevy deal... We've got a Stihl, and to be honest, some of the cheap Poulan's have actually been acceptable at a much lower price. Depends on how often you plan to use it I guess...

I bought my daughter Pestilence a Husky 550 XP for her 3rd wedding present. Her brother got #2, hand me down Husky 130.
Hubby #1, got the truck, she kept the house.

My Husky 285 lasted 35 years, my new one is a much lighter 562 XP with a 28" bar. I put about 160 hours on it last year.

! cord per year? You don't need a ton of saw, UNLESS the size of the logs are big.

I have 2 saws. An Echo CS-450 (45cc) 18 inch bar for the light stuff and a Husqvarna 390 XP ( 88cc) 32 inch bar for the bigger stuff.

Previous posters are correct that a bigger saw will wear you out if you don't need it. But for logs, a small saw will tire you out if you are grinding a long time with too small of an engine.

I think the Echo cs-400 would do both limbs and logs and not be too heavy. If the logs are bigger than say 8 inches go with the CS-450.

I have had my Echo CS-450 for 4 or 5 years and i cut way more than you are. And its very reliable. Its a tad heavy for a lot of limbing.

EDIT: If the logs are small, and you are cutting 1 cord per year, i might think about a battery saw. But i have no experience with them.

Last edited:
I always used Husqvarna. My Husky 50 special lasted over 12 years. I used to burn 10-12 cords a year. I few years ago I bought a Husqvarna 346xp 45cc professional logging saw. Love it. Costs me about $500.

Ran Stihl 460 and 660 saws with 20 inch bars back in the day. The 460 was a good balance but the 660 would burn up bars and chains if you weren't careful. I have a smaller Husqvarna (35-40cc iirc) with a 16 inch bar that works very well for homeowner stuff now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cb_13
I'd look into either an MS261 Stihl or 550xp Husqvarna. I have a friend who has one of each and he claims the Husky cuts faster but the Stihl is better to handle so he generally uses it.

Personally I'm a Stihl guy and run an MS362 which would probably be overkill for your intended use. I know most are recommending against pro saws due to price but the power to weight ratio is a huge selling point for me on them.

Both these are the top two I'd look at and personally own a MS261 and grab it 90% of the time 18 inch bar pulls hard absolutely love that saw my other is a 576AT husky pulling a 28 inch bar what a saw but not needed most of the time.
Is the 261 pricey yes but what a saw

Bought my Stihl 032 new in the 80's, used it just the other day. Getting heavier with age......

I used to own a tree business, have owned Echo, Poulan, Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonesred, Homelite. Stihl is the best, Poulan will last you, Echo is a great reliable saw. I loved my Husky and Jonesred but these were medium to large saws and many years ago.

Choose one, value for the dollar?.Echo or Poulan.

BUT get 2 saws or 3. Get a small lightweight for limbing, and a medium saw for smaller diameter logs, and a large one for the big stuff. The bigger saws will cut so so much faster than a smaller saw. It will be pleasure and joy rather than frustration and waiting.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I used to own a tree business, have owned Echo, Poulan, Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonesred, Homelite. Stihl is the best, Poulan will last you, Echo is a great reliable saw. I loved my Husky and Jonesred but these were medium to large saws and many years ago.

Choose one, value for the dollar?.Echo or Poulan.

BUT get 2 saws or 3. Get a small lightweight for limbing, and a medium saw for smaller diameter logs, and a large one for the big stuff. The bigger saws will cut so so much faster than a smaller saw. It will be pleasure and joy rather than frustration and waiting.

Dude is cutting a little wood for recreation. 2 or 3 saws is overkill. A quality medium size saw is perfect.

Last edited:
Having burned wood for over 30 years, I have some definite likes and dislikes about cutting and burning wood. First thing that jumps out is I never liked burning soft wood like pine and fir, waaay too much rosin and chimney cleanings, and it burns fast, but it does work.
Second, the Stihls of today are not the ones of yesteryear, nowhere near it, and I generally shy away from them. I've had a ton of saws over the years, and some of the old Stihls were fantastic, but alas not now. The old 024 was a great saw, small fairly light by old standards and powerful. The old 041 was a cutting beast. Funny thing, the 028 Wood Boss is a classic saw, and I've never owned one, just never had a chance I guess, I've used them and they were a work horse. If you're stuck on Stihl, look for an old one.
Nowadays, the best saws for me are Echos. I have a 40cc and a 50cc. A big one to fell large stuff, and a 40cc is a great compromise for all around work and bucking. I'm old enough now that I can't use a 50+ cc saw all day like I once could, so those big boys are only for large cutting jobs.
My advice, if you can handle a 45-50cc saw all day, that 's your sweet spot. If not I wouldn't go less than 40cc for a versatile saw.
Husqvarna makes some fine saws too, and I've had a bunch of them too, the 455 Rancher is a nice middle of the road saw. My neighbor has a larger, something like a 60cc Husqvarna, and it will literally cut like a beaver on steroids.
I'm a fan of 16" bars for general work, even if I have to make two cuts. I save the 20 incher and larger for felling and big bucking.
I have to say, I don't burn wood anymore, having installed a gas fireplace insert, which is much cheaper and easier, just flip a switch and heat! You can't own a saw, splitter, and all the tools needed to maintain a wood pile for the price of gas log fireplace. But I did it for a long time. Now I only have saws to cut troublesome trees around the 7 acres I own next to my house and other houses I own. I used to cut even more than just for wood, hired out to remove trees for folks, even helped out electric company and insurance companies a few times, I'm glad I never tried to do it for a living, those guys have my full respect, it's hard work, well beyond the reach of most of the snowflakes we're raising today.
I salute you that you're willing to do the work. Remember, a sharp chain is your best friend, no matter how big a saw you have.

Last edited:
Had a lightweight Poulan for many years. It got tired and I got tired of it. I'm 5'6" and 125 lbs. Chainsaw weight will kill my back so got the smallest Stihl that used a full size chain (MS230C). 35 cc, 16 inch and It also has tool-ess chain tensioning and a recoil spring pull start (yeah, I'm getting old). Could use more than 35 cc but again a trade off for weight.

I don't heat with wood, only cut it for the firepit. My Echo CS370 is a tough little saw with a 36cc engine and 16" bar. For occasional use, something like this would be fine. If you're heating with wood every year, you should probably step up to a bigger saw.

[Linked Image]

L8R,
Matt

For that size softwood, a 45-50cc saw is good. I've got a 372xp and its nice for doing 16"+ hardwood, but for limbing and softwood I always use my light plastic husky 141. Someday when I'm older I'll trade the 372 for a 40-45cc pro saw.

Originally Posted by mez
I always used Husqvarna. My Husky 50 special lasted over 12 years. I used to burn 10-12 cords a year. I few years ago I bought a Husqvarna 346xp 45cc professional logging saw. Love it. Costs me about $500.

I also have the 346XP. Great saw. Mine is 50cc. I think some of the early ones from the mid 2000's were 46cc.

Back