For Canadians; Motomaster European Oil

Here are some shots of Motomaster European oils available at Canadian Tire. They are blended by Shell in Canada. The first is 0w40 and it appears to have a SN Plus designation. Not sure if that is still a point of contention. The second is a 0w30. Enjoy.

2AAA740A-8C07-4552-BADB-796DC15CDD2E.jpeg

E2A305B2-2BFB-45D9-AC7B-F1F21EC61BF3.jpeg

8612D88F-0871-4110-B2DD-E14050B547C3.jpeg

A41CFC94-29E6-429D-AC01-5552FDDC92B7.jpeg

Originally Posted by Olas
how is it priced compared to shell? and is it an equivalent of Helix oils? Or Rimula/Rotella?

Price wise it has a regular price of about $50 Can but is discounted to about $28 to $30 Can ($21 US). Canadian Tire is famous for jacking the regular price and having putting different motor oils on sales, rotating through all the brands every few months.

I'll let someone else comment on what they know about the VOA's.

Reactions: JC1
I bet this is Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 and 0W-30...

That Pennzoil also comes as Shell Helix and Quaker State Euro...

It is rebottled Pennzoil Euro, same as QS Euro also available in Canada. There is also a 5w-30 version. This however goes for $2-$3 less per jug than those other two Shell oils.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
It is rebottled Pennzoil Euro, same as QS Euro also available in Canada. There is also a 5w-30 version. This however goes for $2-$3 less per jug than those other two Shell oils.

Any info to back that statement?

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

Any info to back that statement?

There is no official datsheet for this oil that I have found.

What we do know is the QS, Pennzoil and Shell products are the same (see pictures), the datasheets on these oils are identical. Is there a chance Motomaster is different? I suppose... But why in the world would they change the formula only to then go back through all the same manufacturer approval processes all over again. It makes no sense.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

one thing I can't figure out is if this oil actually has the VW building approval, or if it's just "recommend for". I guess there's no way to know for sure until this is updated: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10161673-0001.pdf

I'm normally not a warranty worry-wort sorta guy, but since I have the ridiculous 6/72K warranty on the Golf, I'd chose the Pennzoil Euro LX over this if it's a couple bucks more, since it has the formal builder approval--even though I imagine it's the same oil.

I'll be curious to see if ends up being an actual approved oil.

Originally Posted by JOD
one thing I can't figure out is if this oil actually has the VW building approval, or if it's just "recommend for".

I'll be curious to see if ends up being an actual approved oil.

I am interested in the 0W40 flavour of this oil given that it is almost for sure the PP EURO 0W40 (with the SN + designation) as it is problematic getting the actual PP bottled product. But I dont get why it then doesnt have official VW approval and why there is no PDS for this oil.

It has shell's logo on the back of the bottle. No way would CT recertify their house brand and not simply repackage an already certified product. Good price when on sale. CT used to sell castrol 0w40 for the same sale price as all the other edge products, but now it's $11 more for the 0w40 flavour. This may be an option when my stash runs out.

Last edited:
I would like to use the 0W40 (assuming it is on sale). The problem is that it seems to only come in a 5 litre jug and with our Golf R needing 5,7 litres I would need to buy two jugs...dont want to do that. So what I think I would do is use a quart bottle of my stash of PP EURO 0W30 for that last 700 mls.

Originally Posted by striker456
It was on sale on the weekend for $25 a jug (0W40), so I bought 4 for pick up. They cancelled the order the next day...

That's weird. They must have not been able to find it on the shelf or something.

If it is fact the PP euro 0W40, I will use it for the Benz, nothing to loose. Also, interested in that 0W30, would use it for my 370z and like to see how it behaves. Are they same as the PP euro lines or Shell Helix? That is what I need to figure out.

Originally Posted by Averroes
If it is fact the PP euro 0W40, I will use it for the Benz, nothing to loose. Also, interested in that 0W30, would use it for my 370z and like to see how it behaves. Are they same as the PP euro lines or Shell Helix? That is what I need to figure out.

It hasn't been confirmed but for business sense we can be reasonably certain it is the same oil in a different bottle. Chances are we may never know if Shell doesn't want that information to go out there.

Originally Posted by 21Rouge
Just need for it to go on sale in Ontario.

UPDATE:
I was in my local CT this morning and all the grades of this MotoMaster OE Plus European Engine Synthetic were on sale at 50% off. I picked up two 5L jugs of the 0W40 for $27.50 each.

UPDATE:
I was in my local CT this morning and all the grades of this MotoMaster OE Plus European Engine Synthetic were on sale at 50% off. I picked up two 5L jugs of the 0W40 for $27.50 each.

Yeah! Saw that, didn't pick any up though since I was still unsure about it. I and many others would appreciate any feedback from your end regarding the oil.

Originally Posted by Averroes

UPDATE:

Yeah! Saw that, didn't pick any up though since I was still unsure about it. I and many others would appreciate any feedback from your end regarding the oil.

I had planned to replace the current run of the FUCHS 5W30 in our Golf R with this 0W40 last week but I really couldn't justify draining the FUCHS as I have driven so little inn the past couple of months.

Back