2019 Ranger - 2.3 I4 EcoBoost Fuel Dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
These trucks are built on the Focus RS platform. Although, bottom end is updated on the Rangers.

I just bought one of these trucks brand new back in November. First new vehicle I have ever purchased. I have been reading on the internet about Fuel Dilution in GDI engines, especially with turbo charged.

Got me concerned, so I smelled my dipstick. It does smell somewhat like fuel, almost like a 2-stroke engine. However, with only 765 miles on the truck so far, I have not seen any oil increase. Though, to ease my mind a bit I did perform the blotter test on Chromatography Paper. I can't really read these that well, but can anyone ease my mind? Ford has not released a TSB for these trucks yet, and I have done one or two decent pulls in the truck to see how she performs. Here is a picture of my blotter test.

Two drops of oil from dip stick. Over night. 24 hours. 765 miles on factory oil.

D3FAEA88-A8E8-44EF-9C5D-941833709536.jpeg

1st off, welcome to the forum and probably one of the more clever usernames.

That low of miles, break-in still in progress, I wouldn't be concerned yet. Maybe do the first oil change early, say 1000 miles, and capture a sample for Blackstone or whoever, noting your concerns when you send them the sample.

How do you like the truck so far and how strong did it pull for those two runs?

1) Don't read on the internet about fuel dilution.

2) Leave the break in oil for at least 2000 miles

Enjoy the truck.

You have a warranty and there is nearly nothing** you can do.

and Over-Changing the oil is not a good answer.

** Come OC time, if the engine specs a 20 grade, sub 1 qt with an ACEA A3 30 grade or MB 229.51 0W40 ( Mobil 1)

That should give you a bit of HTHS boost and more AW/EP

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

I could agree if Atilla met his demise by hanging, instead of drinking himself to death.

With out that extra zing, its just sophomoric boasting.

I am sorry, bad manners Atilla!

Welcome to the asylum .... er, I mean, Oil Forum !

Last edited:
2018 F150 2.7L ecoboost owner here. We also have a honda 1.5T in the family, known for the issue as well.

In my first 10k miles the engine actually went through real break-in. It consumed nearly a quart in 5,000 miles, and I changed it around 6, with 40% left on the OLM. After 10,000 miles, the oil level on the stick remains rock solid. Perhaps it's comsuming some (we tow with it) and perhaps it's gaining a compensating amount by fuel dilution - I don't know. I do know that at 7,500 miles it begins to make faint valvetrain noise, so I change it by 7,500 with 5 qts of 5-30 and the remaining 1-1.5qts with same-brand 10-30. It seems happy this way, and I just drive it. Once the warranty is done, it'll just get a 10-30, synthetic, SN+.

I think the 2.0 ecoboost is probably just as well-designed as the 2.7, and similarly has a few quirks to get comfortable with. I think most of the risks with this issue can be simply addressed by earlier oil changes.

My son's 1.5T civic has it and it's more pronounced. We change the oil early. He drives it how a manual is meant to be driven, and the 1.5T begs to be pushed. It hasn't missed a beat, and we aren't participating in the class action suit against honda.

Looks like brand-new oil to me.

I'm more interested in how you managed only 765mi in 5 months?

My wife has a bought new 2017 Explorer with the 2.3 Ecoboost. I have done 4 UOA, attached for convenience. 3 were with "plain" Mobil 1 5W-30. The 4275 mi OC used Motorcraft 5W-30 Blend. The 6200 mi OC was a winter run with lots of remote starts. Even with some fuel dilution it didn't affect the wear numbers negatively. The factory fill was changed at 2,000 miles. I would recommend using a "full" synthetic motor oil instead of a blend. You can see the Motorcraft blend sheared the most in the fewest miles. And that was run from mid August to early December, not exactly winter conditions.
welcome2.gif

Whimsey

[Linked Image]

Just an FYI, but the new ranger is not built on the focus platform. Focus is unibody and the ranger has a boxed frame. The engine is longitudinal in the ranger and transverse in the focus...there really is nothing about the ranger that matches a focus. Break that engine in for 10k miles and then see where how dilution or consumption have settled out. My first gen 3.5 eco has dilution issues for some folks, but I've never smelled fuel, had oil level rise, or consumed any oil between changes.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

That low of miles, break-in still in progress, I wouldn't be concerned yet. Maybe do the first oil change early, say 1000 miles, and capture a sample for Blackstone or whoever, noting your concerns when you send them the sample.

How do you like the truck so far and how strong did it pull for those two runs?

Haha, thank you! For a truck, it's bonkers! I also have a 2010 Ranger with the 4.0 SOHC, and it is a dog in comparison. By no means is it a racecar, but for a truck it's super quick. I would go as far as to say it could walk all over the 5.3 in my buddies truck, but I'm not the type to race. I just wanted to see how the truck ran on the interstate. Hard pulls are a no-go on something that comes from money out of your own pocket lol. This forum seems very thorough, and hopefully you guys won't flame like others do.

Originally Posted by JTK
Looks like brand-new oil to me.

I'm more interested in how you managed only 765mi in 5 months?

It's my first new vehicle. I have wanted it since they were announced back in ~2017/2018. I have a 2010 Ranger and it will be my daily. The 2019 is my weekend truck.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by meep
2018 F150 2.7L ecoboost owner here. We also have a honda 1.5T in the family, known for the issue as well.

In my first 10k miles the engine actually went through real break-in. It consumed nearly a quart in 5,000 miles, and I changed it around 6, with 40% left on the OLM. After 10,000 miles, the oil level on the stick remains rock solid. Perhaps it's comsuming some (we tow with it) and perhaps it's gaining a compensating amount by fuel dilution - I don't know. I do know that at 7,500 miles it begins to make faint valvetrain noise, so I change it by 7,500 with 5 qts of 5-30 and the remaining 1-1.5qts with same-brand 10-30. It seems happy this way, and I just drive it. Once the warranty is done, it'll just get a 10-30, synthetic, SN+.

I think the 2.0 ecoboost is probably just as well-designed as the 2.7, and similarly has a few quirks to get comfortable with. I think most of the risks with this issue can be simply addressed by earlier oil changes.

My son's 1.5T civic has it and it's more pronounced. We change the oil early. He drives it how a manual is meant to be driven, and the 1.5T begs to be pushed. It hasn't missed a beat, and we aren't participating in the class action suit against honda.

Nice expensive truck. Change the oil a little more often. Prices for it are really good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back