Yearly oil change for Lexus GX460?

I got a new daily driver, 2011 GX460 with 143k miles, the miles don't worry me one bit because being a Toyota product I have no doubts I'll be able to put down 500k miles on this beast.

I already ordered the fumoto valve, toyota oil filter wrench, and the cartridge filter.. but I don't know what oil to use, I definitely want to use 0w30 or 5w30, as that is what this 4.6 (1UR-FE) calls for internationally (0w20 in the U.S.), and it never falls below 30*F in florida.

I'd like to do yearly oil changes.. which is going to be about 12k miles, what oil can I use that won't break the bank but still last 12k without a worry? It does take 8.2 quarts so I have to buy 2 jugs..

I would never do it,oil is cheap. But if you decide to,do a uoa and see how well the engine is wearing.

With that large of an oil capacity and assuming the engine gets to operating temp every drive, 12k/a yearly oil change should be fine with a quality synthetic oil like a Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, etc. For the best results I'd probably do a UOA on the first sample to see how it holds up and proceed from there. That is the best way to get accurate real-world data on how the oil and change interval is holding up to your driving conditions. I do a 10k interval on my fathers Jeep GC with a 5.7L V8 and it does well, but he also drives mostly highway.

I would pick Mobil 1 5W-30 AP and a FRAM Ultra if they make one for that application and call it great for a full year, no problem.

M1EP 5w30 would be a good start. Lexus calls for 10k changes anyways so 12k isn't a huge stretch. Fill with M1EP, sample at 10k, see if you're safe for 12k/yearly.

My guess is yes, but sample to confirm.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
I would pick Mobil 1 5W-30 AP and a FRAM Ultra if they make one for that application and call it great for a full year, no problem.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Those darn Toyotas last too long. I didn't buy one because I would get bored driving it for 30 years.
10 years is my non-boredom limit with our new very inexpensive and non-trustworthy engine Korean models. That's why I chose them......lol

Yeah … for a full year in a nice car … Mobil 1 EP or AP …
Some say the truck/suv had a good shot of PAO and would run a while too …
(but that car might sprout a Honda deflector on the grill) …

If the OM recommends 10K changes, stick with that. Use any name brand 5w-30 synthetic. Amazon has a decent selection of oil filters for Toyota/Lexus, or buy from your local Toyota dealer. Good luck with the new ride.

The M1 0/40 is a good oil anywhere, along with a Ultra every other OCI as the skid removal is a PIA on my Lexus.

Originally Posted by MrWideTires
I got a new daily driver, 2011 GX460 with 143k miles, the miles don't worry me one bit because being a Toyota product I have no doubts I'll be able to put down 500k miles on this beast.

I already ordered the fumoto valve, toyota oil filter wrench, and the cartridge filter.. but I don't know what oil to use, I definitely want to use 0w30 or 5w30, as that is what this 4.6 (1UR-FE) calls for internationally (0w20 in the U.S.), and it never falls below 30*F in florida.

I'd like to do yearly oil changes.. which is going to be about 12k miles, what oil can I use that won't break the bank but still last 12k without a worry? It does take 8.2 quarts so I have to buy 2 jugs..

I would use a 5w-30 in your application. Did you remove the valve covers to see the condition of the motor? Check for possible sludge or varnish on the cams. I would change your PCV valve while you are at it and get a new one in there.

Originally Posted by dblshock
The M1 0/40 is a good oil anywhere, along with a Ultra every other OCI as the skid removal is a PIA on my Lexus.

You have a GX?
I'm considering doing 5 quarts of M1 5w30 EP, and 3 quarts of M1 0w40

Still weighting my options, I definitely want to use off the shelf oil to keep my costs down

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by tundraotto

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Those darn Toyotas last too long. I didn't buy one because I would get bored driving it for 30 years.
10 years is my non-boredom limit with our new very inexpensive and non-trustworthy engine Korean models. That's why I chose them......lol

I hate buying cars, the dealer process, and paying taxes for them every time!
All the men in my family have a tradition of having 1 sedan and 1 SUV, both paid off and keeping them forever; and I'm no different haha.. I have my 500hp STI weekend car that's paid off, and I specifically bought a GX because it's a land cruiser prado so it should last forever and I can turn it into an overlander to enjoy for the next 20+ years.

Heck my grandpa hasn't changed his vehicles since 1984! Both still run perfectly
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JC1

I would use a 5w-30 in your application. Did you remove the valve covers to see the condition of the motor? Check for possible sludge or varnish on the cams. I would change your PCV valve while you are at it and get a new one in there.

I don't think I'll be pulling the valve cover, I have some confidence in the maintenance history of this truck, it's pretty extensive. So I'm just changing some things to have some extra peace of mind, like plugs, coolant, diff gear oil, and brake pads.

I have an 07 4Runner with the 4.7 V8 and have been using M1 0w40 and OEM filters for quite a while. Using the M1 rebates and discounted filters has kept my price for an OC at around $30. This last OC I went 18 months, BUT I have been getting the oil tested.

Here is my latest UOA with previous ones as well: UOA history .

You ain't going 500,000 miles with 12K oil changes no matter how good the engine or how good the oil.

Originally Posted by atikovi

You ain't going 500,000 miles with 12K oil changes no matter how good the engine or how good the oil.

Why is that?

I wouldn't go past 10K. In fact, 7K OCI is about where I'd be.
But that's just me.

I believe the viscosity is on the oil cap.
Good luck with your new Lexus!

I agree that if you want a half million mile engine you should change it more frequently.

unless you mostly do long trips twice yearly is better + in warmer climates a 10-30 fake synthetic as most are is a better choice.

Back