Treated fence stain or paint?

I disagree that water based stain is better for pine (or much of anything). Oil base penetrates and protects better. But, the market is changing and moving towards low VOC water based products more and more. And, the marketing indicates that water based products are improving. I recommend not using anything that forms a film.

The site below seemed to have some of the best stain info, but they have changed it and I can no longer find extensive reviews of most of the stain products (i.e., Cabots, Penofin, Olympic, etc.) They seem to just list their best picks. Correct me if you find the other products reviewed like they used to do. But, it is still a good site to study and glean information.

https://www.deckstainhelp.com/

Originally Posted by doitmyself
I disagree that water based stain is better for pine (or much of anything). Oil base penetrates and protects better. But, the market is changing and moving towards low VOC water based products more and more. And, the marketing indicates that water based products are improving. I recommend not using anything that forms a film.

The site below seemed to have some of the best stain info, but they have changed it and I can no longer find extensive reviews of most of the stain products (i.e., Cabots, Penofin, Olympic, etc.) They seem to just list their best picks. Correct me if you find the other products reviewed like they used to do. But, it is still a good site to study and glean information.

https://www.deckstainhelp.com/

Great site/resource! Thank you

I would like to ask a similar question. This thread is about seven months old, so I don't think that I am hijacking it.
I thought better to use this thread than start another, similar one. (Correct? Maybe? Does it matter?)
I had to replace some deck boards for a ramp that goes into my shed. We drive the riding lawn mower up and down it.
What would be the most durable and last the longest for that application?
The boards were installed back in April, so they should be good and dry by now I'm assuming.
For OP's fence, stain seemed to win the vote.

Stain. This is one of the few times a Behr product is acceptable - you do need to restain for maintenance. I never had luck with Cabot, the old Olympic oil-based solid was good stuff. Else, I’ve heard good things about Penofin and Clark-Armstrong(carried by Kelly-Moore and select lumber yards in CA).

Back