ATF in PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had some power steering hoses changed out in my 13 Silverado. They are thankfully available aftermarket at NAPA. The shop refilled the ps with atf fluid. Book calls for PS fluid. So, I (myself) exchanged the ATF out and put PS fluid in, per the GM spec. I was going to call the garage and just gently mention that whoever worked on my truck should always check alldata or whatever for the specs. However, maybe it is common practice for places to use ATF fluid. Before I call down there was curious if anyone has any history with this.

Last edited:
Mercruiser marine engines with power steering are 99% GM engines, with GM power steering pumps. They usually recommend ATF - Dexron III or higher, but power steering fluid works fine. The exact same pump is on my 97 Suburban and it calls for power steering fluid. One thing different is that the Merc setups usually have a PS steering cooler.

My car said you can use Dexron VI in the power steering pump. And my car is a 2008. I have used Dexron VI with no issues.

There's a lot of hand wringing but generally GM calls for their power steering fluid (or knock-offs). I use AC Delco and have 200,000 miles on the original pump that powers the power steering and the hydro-boost brakes.

For my 2000-2007 Ford's I use Mercon V ATF. The older one has 160,000 miles on the original pump.

All three of my vehicles use ATF. The 88 E-150 uses type F. The 08 and 2016 Jeeps use ATF+4. You should be fine.

ATF is perfectly fine. For a large corp like GM they save a few dollars using cheaper PS fluid. But for a shop no real reason to keep general PS fluid when most can use or even call for ATF.

My 2010 GMC used PSF. When it was just 3 years old, took a sample … it was black. Using a super syringe was able to pull 12 ounces, drive and repeat. That cleared it up enough to start doing 12 ounce per year … kept doing that and traded the truck when 8 years old. Used Lucas synthetic and it stayed clear.
(One of only 2 Lucas products I have used).

The owners manual for the OP's truck recommends GM PSF or equivalent, so I would insist on an equivalent PSF. NAPA, AZ, CQ, etc are low cost options that work just fine, so I'm not sure why a shop would intentionally use ATF here. I think it would be worth asking for an explanation.

Also, for anyone planning to DIY the PSF, I have also had great results with Lucas synthetic PSF. Unlike user @4WD I have used more than 2 Lucas products...the PSF is the only one I really like!
Originally Posted by 4WD
Used Lucas synthetic and it stayed clear.
(One of only 2 Lucas products I have used).

Last edited:
I ran it in my 05 Silverado for 150,000 miles with zero issues. The pump was undersized for the added weight of the diesel so GM suggested using Synthetic PS fluid. I used dex 6 at a 1/3 of the price. The majority of our fleet at work used ATF. We even had one that was spec'd for 15W40 diesel oil. The Mobil rep ran the question by one of their engineers and he replied that it was "close enough and an acceptable substitute"

ATF is a better more wide used formula. More R&D goes into it than with PSF. I can only tell you that with ford it calls for TYPE F, MERCON, or MERCON V.

I run Full Syn DEX VI in the Volvo 240 PS systems. These are GM Type II Saginaw pumps. Drain and fill the reservoir every 10k. I've never had an issue or noise, even at -15 degree starts in Stowe VT.

Previously I used Redline PS fluid when the cSt was higher than it is now. Lots of squealing during the below zero start ups.

I hope this helps.

Thanks guys. Sounds like shop new what they were doing when they used ATF fluid. I probably didn't need to exchange it out, but no harm no foul I guess. At the end of the day I now have the spec fluid in there and the steering feels awesome.

OP- good question. After reading this thread- it suggest that ATF may be a better fluid for power steering pumps than power steering fluid.

Use what you want at the end of the day, your vehicle.

I have been running atf in ps systems since a kid topping up the reservoir on the 1985 dodge van. All our dodge vehicles ran atf, the gm vehicles I had a hand in, early 2000s gm cars to my 2006 gmt360. No issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back