Paste Wax or Spray Wax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BAJA_05
I will stick with my Collinite 845 liquid wax. Shake the bottle well -- wipe on and wipe off. Easy peasy!!!

Is this what you're using?

845.png

That stuff gets great reviews... seen it mentioned on car forums where many top rated products are faithfully used and listed. I'll get some soon and be ready for summer. I think buying direct, it's around $20

Originally Posted by RTexasF
Apparently no one here has heard of or used Optimum Spray Wax. It is durable, contains both carnauba and polymers, and offers a brilliant shine lasting for several months.

I use Optimum No Rinse to clean and apply the Optimum Spray Wax afterwards. I also use Optimum Spray Wax on my boat after I clean it. I go through a gallon every two years.

Clay bar / ferrous oxide;

I was ready to inquire about the process of using the iron X type stuff per ferrous oxide on paint ie: With or in place of the clay bar routine as I wasn't sure if it was one or the other or both.

From what I see on detailer vids and info, using it prior to claying if claying is needed is the way to go. It helps. A few products designed as wheel cleaner can do this as paint work too.
I've only done the clay bar a few times and always feel a little sketchy about it. I know it works but given enough contaminants picked up in the putty, it's threading the needle and fussy at times to make sure I don't get that crap scratching the paint on areas yet to be done.

On another note - Seen a guy do a vid of trying out plumbers putty in place of actual clay bar. It wasn't too scientific but he seemed happy with the results as per availability and cost. I don't recall his outcome as per claiming it works 'as good' or close enough ...
I'll have to go revisit.

33.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I will stick with my Collinite 845 liquid wax. Shake the bottle well -- wipe on and wipe off. Easy peasy!!!

That is the exact product I use. Less than 20 bucks shipped and it works great. Every other year I will clay bar with Meguiars then use a good coat of Collinite 476, then apply the Collinite 845 liquid wax after acouple hours on the Collonite 476. The 845 easily lasts 3-4 months with constant beading and weekly car washes. Have been using this method for years. The 845 goes on and off so effortlessly and the cars/truck shine and withstand the elements daily. My neighbors constantly give me compliments which always feels good.

That is the exact product I use. Less than 20 bucks shipped and it works great. Every other year I will clay bar with Meguiars then use a good coat of Collinite 476, then apply the Collinite 845 liquid wax after acouple hours on the Collonite 476. The 845 easily lasts 3-4 months with constant beading and weekly car washes. Have been using this method for years. The 845 goes on and off so effortlessly and the cars/truck shine and withstand the elements daily. My neighbors constantly give me compliments which always feels good.

I love he 845, but I've never tried layering it on top of the 476...I will have to give that a try...

Originally Posted by WhyMe
no more paste or liquid for me. going all spray. can do my vehicle in 1/2 an hour . have found durability pretty good with TW SS .Since its so easy i do it once a month . also i don't have to worry about getting it on black plastic. i spray it on to everything.

I agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Easily done in a 1/2 hour.... I like to do that about one time a month or once every 2 months.

Collonite 476 is the paste version of Liquid 845.
You are putting an extra coat on. Doesn't hurt.

Spray waxes are not meant to be longer term like liquid or paste waxes. It is good to use after washes but should not replace a yearly waxing (at the very least).

I don't know of any carnauba wax that lasts for one year unless you keep your car in the garage and it never goes anywhere.

Most waxes these days are actually semi-sealants.

I try to do a waxing with Mother's liquid wax spring and fall. If it needs attention in the mean time I'll use a spray bottle tune up after a washing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
I don't know of any carnauba wax that lasts for one year unless you keep your car in the garage and it never goes anywhere.

Most waxes these days are actually semi-sealants.

Collinite 845, I suppose it is a semi-sealant though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back