Walmart vs. Amazon Prime -- which one carries fresh stocks

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by Zee09

We all know Wal-Mart sells counterfeit Mobil 1.
smile.gif

We have heard stories about people getting "Mobil 2" there!
;^)

lol!

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Gokhan
Yup, I think Amazon may be giving up on selling motor oil through its own warehouses (possibly because of shipping costs and/or complaints of oil spills by the US Post Office)...
Maybe you've missed the dozen threads by people here about "Did you know Amazon is selling their own brand of oil now?" or "Is Amazon's oil any good?".

Also, when I search for "engine oil" and filter it by seller "amazon.com", it shows "over 1000 results".

Perhaps, Amazon doesn't sell Mobil 1 oils anymore. The only Mobil 1 oil sold by Amazon I could find was M1 TDT 5W-40. It could be that Amazon is unable to match Walmart's Mobil 1 prices anymore and has given up.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by Pinoak
Walmart for me. If they don't have it you can usually order it for free pick up.

Me too, I order $35 or more and have it shipped to my house in 2 days, for free. No Prime, no membership fees, what's not to like?

Yes sir ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by Gokhan
I was disappointed when I got an old stock of M1 EP 0W-20 from Amazon Prime, which didn't have SN PLUS and the latest Ford approval. I know they haven't changed the formula but still... I went to Walmart and got one that carries the latest approvals. I will not buy oil from Amazon Prime again unless I don't have an option.

Amazon Prime M1 EP 0W-20:

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

Walmart M1 EP 0W-20:

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

I'm waking up an old thread.

The four-digit number in the ExxonMobil date stamps is the revision number. It is sometimes followed by the letters RN. The revision number identifies the formulation. In this case the revision number is 5888, which is the same for both the SN- and SN-PLUS-labeled bottles. Therefore, the formulation is identical for the two bottles, despite one having labeled as SN and the other having labeled as SN PLUS.

Now, the question is if they will change the formulation with API SP, which will come out on May 1, 2020. It would be great if you could record the revision numbers for the API SN vs. API SP ExxonMobil oils and post them here so that we will be aware of the formulation changes if any.

PS: 11019A09A 5888 translates as Plant 110, 2019, Month A (January), Day 09, Formulation 5888 (formulation revision number).

Yeah, I just bought a 3-pack of PUP 10W-30 from walmart.com to change my oil later next month, and the interesting thing is that the item pictures for the individual 5 qt. jug show the SN PLUS designation:
[Linked Image]

Whereas the jug from the 3-pack shows the SN designation:
[Linked Image]

Not sure if Walmart simply forgot to update the pictures, but it will be interesting to see if the 3-pack that's been dispatched contain the SN PLUS or SN formula.

I'll still shake the bottle to remix the fallen out additives
lol.gif

Last edited:
If you have port injection, no difference. If you have a GDI or turbocharged GDI engine, you'll run the risk of LSPI with SN oil.

Originally Posted by juanito506
If you have port injection, no difference. If you have a GDI or turbocharged GDI engine, you'll run the risk of LSPI with SN oil.
Key words "specified to use it" and for some GDI designs, SN+ oils are a bandaid to the overall issue. MB has plenty of GDI engines not running SN+ oils without issues.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Key words "specified to use it" and for some GDI designs, SN+ oils are a bandaid to the overall issue. MB has plenty of GDI engines not running SN+ oils without issues.

It's fair to say that those oils were never tested against SN+. Certifications are always you either have tested for it and passed, or you never tested for it, even if you're going to knock it out of the park anyway. They'll never say they failed testing, no one will say that.

Besides, EVERY oil spec out there today exceeds SN+ anyway.

Yeah, I just bought a 3-pack of PUP 10W-30 from walmart.com to change my oil later next month, and the interesting thing is that the item pictures for the individual 5 qt. jug show the SN PLUS designation:
[Linked Image]

Whereas the jug from the 3-pack shows the SN designation:
[Linked Image]

Not sure if Walmart simply forgot to update the pictures, but it will be interesting to see if the 3-pack that's been dispatched contain the SN PLUS or SN formula.

I'll still shake the bottle to remix the fallen out additives
lol.gif

Update: I got my 3-pack 5 qt. jugs in today, they are the SN PLUS formulas manufactured 30APR19, cap seals intact. I'm sure they'll work fine.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Update: I got my 3-pack 5 qt. jugs in today, they are the SN PLUS formulas manufactured 30APR19, cap seals intact. I'm sure they'll work fine.

They suit well for your kitchen in front of your fruit bowl. Couldn't you wait for another week for the SP formulation?
wink.gif

I wonder if that "0541" is the formulation number (revision number) for Shell.

Attention, attention, there is an update!

I was at the neighborhood Walmart Supercenter tonight and bought the Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine and Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax products (with improved formula). I expect to use the former as the bottom layer and the latter as the top layer. While I was there, of course, I inspected the motor-oil section.

They had various Mobil 1 products in stock. I looked at the revision number (RN number) of the Mobil 1 0W-20 Extended Performance (EP) SP/GF-6. The revision number is still 5888. This means that all three of the Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 SN, SN PLUS, and SP versions have the exact same formulation—the formulation hasn't changed for over a decade! So much for oil innovation and upgrade. Of course, Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 has been a PAO-and-AN-based mixed-calcium-and-magnesium-detergent oil since 2010; so, there is really not much room for improvement there.

Coming back to the title of the thread, the date of manufacture was October 10, 2020; so, the oil is only two-month-old. Walmart indeed sells the freshest oil out there (sorry, Amazon.com, Inc.).

aa2y7WnAab-WwkLqZSr1oJhCWFnyC9HMyLsDYcGnJG0lx0G_6Tl2ziDDlOkdJcgLfsAGe4uQgyl9L79n8N41_wY8l6srk6qgmzU7odp2WkY-XMMl5-cnUZZa53ynXIjgM3qnngvJu4MxicDyqx0I6SakMBovE88t0yw2JXYUda9KLhNE4wwK7QsSd6NN8u71tKNx2QUWrG-FLJuPpRWDHuLjMLPWeFq7-Up8SknG0CmwuXnPexWp2E8pRQbF_MOeoNRlk5N9tshr9MDYrOrdEpPUKpoFN4g2QXT0OSX37eDr1hBzKKr1k2WheJn4WTl5xBke-vz6jO7w5GHY5aLBnJmRYW0ho0Z4eucBDoWsaVhbcJy7TO7hb9Paeaqh-4TyXGg6vTtbyvEf3e0tbGt1m1GeMCfTzslv1lThsTvo-WryrCJ4u8mXAlsgseMF0pdxdAU_KWjRHPPWaxtLGm80sgQDWMF9aEQdQVQEhTcXoO5mHfs4iyVbwsCJCS2M9Y5JvPOLN_8erMhDdDzzlMLHUUWSN1-uNE-dnoKTcaZjvyvojGOml_2Lrg_hqcZxCQgFKKDiIV5BYKNKaH1WP-c9e85KsimHzo-tMLppO44bNNRhC02YmlPfaiWKPufzGF_cCnzelUAbDEzXELYRO-afMlj0g4gRwZvtXQVFgnQY_hPSaD4bXEF3qUnxMq7I4g=w2597-h1947-no

Likewise Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy (AFE) 0W-16 SP has the same revision number (6184) as the SN PLUS version; so, the formulation of that one hasn't changed either.

XO-p4ybgmOEEDQX2p087oMl0m2kT4vqZKPgF-SBBCO2JerdASKNe_S196uDJ9Q62pinDsAGKc4QBs7W4mFJXh8OJv22MRm0hlsGLakFG4vTeN1TFJqlR1XFmJEufEI4wnoSS3vDf6i4qaMW1nXU8ooAlHj2_vIIGLIR-1G5sYf86SdJbc6YN-Ux4xucXY2D-qYuta9_Ns2R19Le8tpGleua9eoBp-nSYt227thTg96dDSTDliyK0tQ-wPoLqpaUeKrofaoppE7AGcZfF4vMc6wEgS1xM_1wk8SD_78J6MsfUr4OM4JY3fQfknAn3RfMT3bq0vgyUCw0cF7AX2-ouUqyUdatNhoVMXd0xzt-ebsiMQoaQNoy5J7uamAQXB83nOiHjk-0UI1m-Afx02Nh9h5s4xLeuLGWi7H3ULXfCTAzExUAMn7YNjgv71jfdlN1dTxDVZKiqkes97nOIqXN-NJtx3sepyI7o3-VgoiZg0JUdRz1lHf9FGowE-wMl_TTKIzPP1uj_nZPcggE6JKlpZUY-NKperP_MHNnOBvB1zPa94uOJXMeDAbOCapltitQ3igtFbuAh-x8Bvl-I8YZpFoJd5iQe8qYru6XWf6MlfuZ6xWz1ib3bgfjnZDhnmPT6PIauHxAGWxam6EMJjxip2ohyX_O1wM9lY4nCcScRcWdDLOjm6Qe2zb-KG5Eo5w=w2597-h1947-no

wwwCTX05jB2VNLCqY1RXdZPw9P4sM7z2MlYzn2Z9GBP5qypvnuevVU-7m_PG3M4GIn7rXgjgmOw337gU2KCpvjXGoVD8bOKbDsfOUkVo__jlJ7BogkwBT9Vu7yRygHPmkF9uOmO-RH5hgMQssRpPswGFeBsvpn4Zu--s6lBwLWZ9Ge_sXkw1RXtXiZjXkeA2N3NiEM7SRVFLmvGzjMzaQpwqN-kWGYvHEkOLqhCJYzloye7acIwj8hiqdXuq-IThD_Z6gAYP2rlGmQshuTl0yGrBadXGRzKmwMhKoa0jkEnu7cTRuvUDmL8rxznqoKl7TQKW5fc0EoU6sBKAO7JiOkIIVMTqrx30awfLmq2zN8pwyySPtOsLLR_Bkk_5UKb6KPHfJ-BxVJwR9xIDl-TzueO9iUCTlTLPG-9UPiRnwlcu2BjuC3iZ0xqbXFVWIwooYtdimYJvk7a3ukyZKuITbe-Fuq7lGkrFtjwfQJqUX7vZUBvSHIYFuJ2A9HmCsWc4HK_GwO5jMUwnnXUzHyUlSvOpj_9ZxFtP6Wgp8Ae5gPbCy8NU0Ps1MLhAaRO97O6qeqeLzHy2EHFUa7iKlmIwhKLO0eS_C9PAtNxDLbMg0eufrJPApVyUBfV54LM4SQ3vLvy1ozfEpVYjsVSz9ljnWLiMBlskYIzNEqG7_oKPOvVeous_31Mezk3u_kB9cA=w1557-h2075-no

Last edited:
They had various Mobil 1 products in stock. I looked at the revision number (RN number) of the Mobil 1 0W-20 Extended Performance (EP) SP/GF-6. The revision number is still 5888. This means that all three of the Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 SN, SN PLUS, and SP versions have the exact same formulation—the formulation hasn't changed for over a decade! So much for oil innovation and upgrade. Of course, Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 has been a PAO-and-AN-based mixed-calcium-and-magnesium-detergent oil since 2010; so, there is really not much room for improvement there.
How do you know the revision number on the bottle you are referring to describes the exact formulation version of the oil? Hard to believe the formulation hasn't changed in 10 years. Aren't there VOAs that show some formulation changes of the same oil over the years?

How do you know the revision number on the bottle you are referring to describes the exact formulation version of the oil? Hard to believe the formulation hasn't changed in 10 years. Aren't there VOAs that show some formulation changes of the same oil over the years?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the four-digit RN number (revision number) refers to the exact formulation of the oil according to the VOAs and UOAs I've seen on ExxonMobil oils. When the formulation changes, the four-digit RN number changes.

It seems like we have noticed differences in VOAs over the years.

Back