Infant car seats getting cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone so I ordered a baby trends car seat stroller car seat combo on Amazon got a great deal. We got it today and started checking out the stroller. We like it and are happy with it. Then the car seat at first it seemed ok then I looked at the buckle and latch assembly. The buckle portion that goes into the latch is all plastic. This piece was metal on every car seat I've ever had. Now I haven't had a kid in 7 years so things may have changed. But plastic in such a critical area? Am I over reacting? What your thoughts?

Originally Posted by ram_man
The buckle portion that goes into the latch is all plastic. This piece was metal on every car seat I've ever had. Now I haven't had a kid in 7 years so things may have changed. But plastic in such a critical area? Am I over reacting? What your thoughts?
Car seats are tested for safety. It passed those tests or it wouldn't be for sale. You can choose to buy one with a metal buckle though.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
And where are they being made now?
Same place they've been made for 20+ years.

I know my Wife purchased the Chicco keyfit 30 brand car seat/ stroller combo for our little one. I wouldn't say it was cheap. It was several hundred dollars.

I believe it is an Italian Brand and According to my Pediatric ER Nurse wife it is one of the safest models for infants...happy wife and safe baby I didn't complain much.

Last edited:
What kills me is they're so big. There's a reason people drive trucks and SUVs. Even in my Mazda 6 an adult sitting in my passenger seat is a cramped due to the car seat being behind it.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Car seats are tested for safety. It passed those tests or it wouldn't be for sale. You can choose to buy one with a metal buckle though.

Car seats are one of those things where they keep getting recalled all the time. Which is why people are told to check for recalls anytime they buy a used one.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Car seats are one of those things where they keep getting recalled all the time. Which is why people are told to check for recalls anytime they buy a used one.

Very true. Clearly the testing process isn't 100%. Recalls happen with far too many items that get "safety tested" too.

Originally Posted by ram_man
The buckle portion that goes into the latch is all plastic. This piece was metal on every car seat I've ever had. Now I haven't had a kid in 7 years so things may have changed. But plastic in such a critical area? Am I over reacting? What your thoughts?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
And where are they being made now?
Same place they've been made for 20+ years.

Tested, yes, but unfortunately the US child seat safety standards aren't, or at least ~10 or so years ago when we were buying them, weren't that stringent. CR has a lot on info on this and has done a lot of testing. I did a lot of research and pretty much only bought Recaro back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back