post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee The famous 42re transmission has 156k changed filter and 5 quarts of ATF4 , replaced pan with a Dorman pan with drain plug!

2008 Tundra 5.7 @ 114k

Out: 3.5 qts (Factory WS + 1 previous drain/fill with Maxlife ATF 5k ago)

In: 3.5 qts Maxlife

My latest was 2 more liters of Ravenol T-WS for my 2013 Passat. It came in 4 liter jug and out of my pan comes close to 2 liters each drain and fill. A lot of people change it 2 or 3 times maybe more and this was my 2nd change (can't flush on this car). It seems to shift so much better now. Although this was a measured drain and fill and that was close to what was in there last time I plan to check the fluid level from under the car. This is one of those ones with a "sealed" transmission. It just doesn't have a dipstick. Ravenol claims their fluid can last twice as long as some of the others. I am not sure how long it would last before needing another change really but it does seem to be good stuff. If it continues to shift as nicely as it does now I might get that fluid for the next change too. The thing about these cars is that they often soon go back to their old habits despite new fluid. That is really annoying!!

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2L turbo 6sp manual 112950 miles.

Out 2150 mL of AC Delco Synchromesh with 150 mL of Ceratec included. â€37,100‬ miles and 2 years on the fluid

In 2150 mL of Redline MTL and 150 mL of Ceratec included.

2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 w/4.8/4L60E 195k miles

Original fluid and filter out
1 pan drop - replaced filter with cheap one which included a new gasket - replaced fluid with Castrol Transmax full synthetic

1 week later - shop repaired 2 cooler lines for me and flushed the remaining fluid, about 10-11L with their QMI multi vehicle full synthetic bulk fluid

Fluid was black, now it's finally a nice color. Shifting is the same as before, no change. Never slips but it's a bit mushy under easy driving once it warms up. I just obtained the truck from my employer. If it was up to me the fluid would have been changed at least 3 times before now.

2007 Toyota Rav4 V6. I did a pan drop @ 175k mi /new filter & cleaned the magnets/pan. We bought used w/142k mi & had dealer do a flush shortly thereafter. Now I understand why the dealer doesn't do pan drops. What a job! (Cross member making 3 bolts very difficult to remove.) Original filter was in there and was very dirty and the magnets not quite as coated as I was expecting. The fluid out of the transmission was dirtier than expected. (What fluid the Toyota dealer used I don't know.) I refilled w/Idemitsu TLS-LV. Shifts so much better now. VERY pleased I did this as I plan to keep the car till the wheels fall off.

2013 Civic LX, 1.8 litre, 80K, unknown OCI
Out: Dunno for sure, was dark red, crusher warsher was beat. Leaked a little I think.
In: 2.6 qts Idemitsu H+ (DW-1 equivalent)

Will do it 1 more time before delivering to my niece at Camp Pendleton.
This car drives and runs smooth and strong.

2013 was the last year of the gear transmission; 2014 forward used the CVT (thanks Critic).

Last edited:
2000 Lexus LS 400 just had drain and fill with filter change at 203000 with Redline D4. Had this service done with Redline D4 when first purchased car used at 134000 miles. Have used fluid extractor about 3 times since using Redline D4 and one time with Lubeguard Red.

2013 Civic LX 1.8, 70k,
Out: Honda DW1 15k OCI
In: 2.5 quarts of Idemitsu Type H+

Shifting is so smooth.

Last edited:
Sucked out 1 quart of Mercon V from my Mustang GT with my extractor and replaced it with 1 quart of Carquest Mercon V. I plan on doing 1-2x per month as I am able to find Mercon V in stores. Gonna grab some SuperTech next as WM shows 4 in stock near me.

2011 BMW E90 328i with 6-speed French built GM automatic.

Pulled pan, changed filter, R&R fluid @ 24K miles; BMW filter/gasket, Kendall Dex VI - Factory Fill was dark brown!
R&R fluid (no pan drop) @ 57K miles; Kendall Dex VI
Pulled pan, changed filter, R&R fluid @ 93K miles; BMW filter/gasket, Castrol Dex VI

Pictures are from 93K mile change.

Scott

IMG_3376.jpeg

IMG_3377.jpeg

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Sucked out 1 quart of Mercon V from my Mustang GT with my extractor and replaced it with 1 quart of Carquest Mercon V. I plan on doing 1-2x per month as I am able to find Mercon V in stores. Gonna grab some SuperTech next as WM shows 4 in stock near me.

I did this on a warm (less cold) day in January on our Mazda 5 just to prove I could do it. I know I could do more than one quart, so the next time I do this, I will siphon out as much as I can. This car gets driven quite hard so I intend to stay ahead of any potential fluid degradation. Overall a simple DIY.

Drain and fill in the '02 F150.
I installed a drain plug when I did the first drain and filter change @ 163,xxx miles. Did another drain 500 miles later, then 1000 miles after that, then 5000 more miles, that put me at 170,000 miles, and I now do it every 10,000 miles.
Hit 200,000 miles today so it was time again.
Fluid that came out looked nice and pink, no burnt smell to it.

Filled it with some more Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

Back