Diesel fuel price drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Astro14
My understanding is that only a certain percentage of a barrel of oil can be made into particular products. So, the market for each refined product, gasoline, diesel, Jet-A, lube oil, etc. is a market unto itself and there is disproportionately high demand for diesel, which is why it costs more than gasoline, even though the base product (crude) is the same and diesel requires less refining/processing.

Yes. Diesel would be A LOT cheaper during normal times if there were fewer show trucks on the road and only the ones that actually needed a diesel pickup had them.

saw on the news a town in west virginia was .99 a gallon.

If I could buy gas that cheap I would drive around in 1st gear

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
if there were fewer show trucks on the road and only the ones that actually needed a diesel pickup had them.

Usually, after owning the first diesel and seeing all the maintenance and attention they need, those show trucks go away. To care for a diesel to make it last requires way more time and effort than most are willing to endure (or pay for).

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
if there were fewer show trucks on the road and only the ones that actually needed a diesel pickup had them.

Usually, after owning the first diesel and seeing all the maintenance and attention they need, those show trucks go away. To care for a diesel to make it last requires way more time and effort than most are willing to endure (or pay for).

That's why I liked my 1982 diesel Suburban, change the oil and fix the starter / alternator occasionally and 438,000 miles later drive to the junkyard due to coorsion

Call me ignorant/dumb but is there a price on the stock market for HFO or heavy fuel oil? Who or is anyone worldwide using it considering what it is?

Thank You

HFO is not diesel, it is a tar-like substance also called "bunker" fuel. It is mostly used in ocean-going ships where the complexity of pre-heating fuel is acceptable and high emissions are legal.

Originally Posted by mk378
HFO is not diesel, it is a tar-like substance also called "bunker" fuel. It is mostly used in ocean-going ships where the complexity of pre-heating fuel is acceptable and high emissions are legal.

So, is there a face value on it or not? I doubt heavy cargo ships are using it for free

I see a lot of the diesel show trucks around here every day. Not used for work, just with the loud exhaust, jacked up suspension, etc.

2.39 no name, saw 2.49 for Sunoco, mostly 2.59 from every major name around here thats fair. Exxon 3.19 and 2.89, so dumb.

My understanding is that only a certain percentage of a barrel of oil can be made into particular products. So, the market for each refined product, gasoline, diesel, Jet-A, lube oil, etc. is a market unto itself and there is disproportionately high demand for diesel, which is why it costs more than gasoline, even though the base product (crude) is the same and diesel requires less refining/processing.

Yes. Diesel would be A LOT cheaper during normal times if there were fewer show trucks on the road and only the ones that actually needed a diesel pickup had them.

I find that tough to believe--a "real" truck goes through 50-100 gallons like water. 4 to 6 mpg is typical for those big rigs?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Futures price of gasoline this morning is $0.53 / gallon.

If that gets to at the pump, that's a nice cheap price lower than even 2003.

But, since when does the fall translate to a fall at the pump.

Originally Posted by supton

I find that tough to believe--a "real" truck goes through 50-100 gallons like water. 4 to 6 mpg is typical for those big rigs?

Supply and demand. Even if the show trucks used as little as 15% of the diesel fuel supply that would be a significant drop in diesel prices.

[Supply and demand. Even if the show trucks used as little as 15% of the diesel fuel supply that would be a significant drop in diesel prices.

True. But. I don't think those show trucks are hitting even 1% of demand.

I see a lot of the diesel show trucks around here every day. Not used for work, just with the loud exhaust, jacked up suspension, etc.

You sound jelly. I don't care what other folks care to drive. Anyway, brodozers aren't driving up diesel costs. ULSD drove up diesel cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by talest
When will the price drop at the pump.

Diesel has been dropping steadily at the station I go to. Currently $2.16 if I remember right.

Originally Posted by supton
[Supply and demand. Even if the show trucks used as little as 15% of the diesel fuel supply that would be a significant drop in diesel prices.

True. But. I don't think those show trucks are hitting even 1% of demand.

You're in NH, come down south and you'll see what I mean. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back