Stock market!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what we will do now......

Originally Posted by JOD
I think you're dreaming. None of the fundamentals that lead to the fall have changed--they're only getting worse.
-we're months away from a functioning economy here
-supply chains are still mangled
-the global situation is getting worse, exponentially (better in part of Asia)
-corporate debt levels still out of control

The mid-term affects of 20-30% unemployment haven't really been seen yet. Yes, things will certainly get better. The question is "how long will it take, and how quickly". I just don't think one can say "it will be fixed by Easter" and have it be so. We're going to have 2 quarters of terrible numbers being released, at least. How will the markets react then?

Yep ... the recovery will be long because it will take a long time to get the economy running like it was before most of the world shut down. No way it's going to bounce back like most short term market dips have done in the past.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

By the way, just after it went public, I almost bought 1,000 shares of TSLA @ $30.

I know a guy who purchased a pizza with bitcoins in 2010... Just chew on that for a bit and you'll feel much better about missing out on the TSLA @ $30!

Not sure I could ever eat pizza again--and I love pizza.

Volatility is here to stay. Buying and selling is too easy, anyone with a cell phone can do it.

I generally follow the Bogleheads investment theory. I'll be buying whether the market is at 3000 or 30.

Set a reminder every year for Jan 1 to review your allocations and rebalance as necessary. Don't try to time the market.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Just wait till corporate earnings and unemployment numbers start trickling in.

This minor rebound giving lots of people a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

BIG dead cat bounce. Folks keep think this is going to blow over....

A lot of the damage is already priced in.
The market is "forward looking".
Steep crashes are usually followed by steep rebounds. V shaped.
Production cannot resume 100% in an instant, but at some point pent up demand will make the economy roar ahead.

If you are a bear, did you short the market before? Are you shorting it now?

Originally Posted by 02SE
What trait do all successful people share?

Optimism

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I made ~$7k today on my stocks that I bought last week. Let it ride! Let's hope it keeps going up.

This is what I would hope to accomplish, I should start following the stock pick thread.

Wednesday (of last week) was the bottom. I really need another down day to rebuy positions and hold.

Last edited:
gfh77665,

October - December I was selling, yet the market kept going up and up....

I did not previously short the market, I rode it up with tech stocks, growth and some risky levereged ETFs for the past 5 years. I had a bad feeling it was similar to the dot com bubble. This time I was going to sell and be on the sidelines with zero worries.

I had a substantial 2019 capital gains tax, I really don't mind paying it. This bull run was NOT going to last forever. I have enough in the tank to make it to the finish line.

I do PM a few folks on this forum to pick their brain, ask about their views, investment strategies, how they think ____ will play out, etc....

But no doubt, buckle up and be ready once the corporate earnings and unemployment numbers start coming in.

gfh77665,

But no doubt, buckle up and be ready once the corporate earnings and unemployment numbers start coming in.

Will be a short uptick making us think we are going back to normal but it will most likely be false premise. The economy is paralyzed at this point.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
gfh77665,

Will be a short uptick making us think we are going back to normal but it will most likely be false premise. The economy is paralyzed at this point.

That's what most people are not getting, many ordinary businesses are NOT operating at all. Many of the parts used to manufacture items that are assembled here in the USA and other countries are made in china and they are NOT producing at this point. That is the kind of dystopian dynamic people are living in. The market doesn't drive the economy no matter what the numbers might say.

I have been stepping a teeny bit into the market. Although we still have a long ways to go before its all in. I couldn't resist buying some XOM. I will add here and there in a gradual basis.

I was just at TWO major supermarket chains and not one of them had a single loaf of any fresh prebagged (wonder) bread product shelves were very bare, and it appears that the supply chain is breaking down now.

The market won't feed you, won't clothe you, and can't provide you with necessary services. See you next year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gfh77665

A lot of the damage is already priced in.
The market is "forward looking".
Steep crashes are usually followed by steep rebounds. V shaped.
Production cannot resume 100% in an instant, but at some point pent up demand will make the economy roar ahead.

If you are a bear, did you short the market before? Are you shorting it now?

I won't speak for anyone but myself: I'm never shorting anything. I don't root for things to fail. Just not how I'm wired. All I'm risking is unrealized gains by pulling my money, and I'm OK with that.

I'm also pretty conservative, even with the stuff I set aside for day trading. As a for instance, I had buy orders in for Boeing @ 95, 90 and 85. Unfortunately, a 25/25/50 split (never got to $85...oops...). I have a 10% of share sell orders in at 160 and 180, 5% at 200. I'll hold the rest, since I will have paid for original stocks and then some. I know it's going to go up, a lot, eventually. The Lazy B is as much of a sure thing as you can find.

This is how a pessimistic bear can still make some money, but hedge a bit. Not suggesting this strategy for anyone else, but it's how I can play around a bit and not get sick to my stock about losses or unrealized gains (a little sick to my stomach about the purchase split, but I'll get over it).

Originally Posted by AC1DD
I was just at TWO major supermarket chains and not one of them had a single loaf of any fresh prebagged (wonder) bread product shelves were very bare, and it appears that the supply chain is breaking down now.

The market won't feed you, won't clothe you, and can't provide you with necessary services. See you next year.

Wow.

TWO stores?

Out of the what, 100,000 or something in the US?

Out of Wonder Bread?

One product sampled in two stores....boy, that's certainly definitive sampling and analysis...

Day before yesterday funded my IRA, time to buy.

Economy is going to be in shambles for 12-18 months. I am retired but do part-time gig to keep funding IRA.
This virus is going to change US forever there's going to be more working from home, less fuel usage, less car wear and tear, lower car sales, less clothing sales, less beauty products sales and will have ripple effect through the economy.

Try to look a year into the future. While literally anything is possible, most would agree the thing will pass. When it does, the economy will roar to life, fuelled by pent up demand. Restraunts, movie theaters, car dealerships, WalMarts, and sporting events will flood with people wanting to spend and get out and do things. Flights will be booked soild, rentals booked up, and the freeways will be full of vacationers. Hiring will zoom and factories will max out production. All the economic activity will feed on itself creating even more...

The sun is gonna shine again.
cool.gif

Originally Posted by DallasTexas
Economy is going to be in shambles for 12-18 months. I am retired but do part-time gig to keep funding IRA.
This virus is going to change US forever there's going to be more working from home, less fuel usage, less car wear and tear, lower car sales, less clothing sales, less beauty products sales and will have ripple effect through the economy.

We'll all be like this in a year or two ... day trading the market and working from home ... lol.

https://sciencevibe.com/2017/10/07/brain-connected-to-the-internet-for-first-time/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back