Using 0w16 to 'thin down' oil viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
And climate doesn't dictate V@100C. It used to years ago.

The difference being that one can damage your engine but the other one will not.

Yes, I would use a 0w-8 in OZ if the engine required it. No on the 70 in the north. That's the problem. People think they need a 40 in their 20 application because they live in the Desert.

I think you're falling into a semantic trap. The engine oil required by the engine is determined by climate because climate dictates viscosity.

Also, the Arctic is a desert and nobody up there thinks 40 is better thn 20, do they?

The W (Winter) rating is dictated by climate. Once the engine is up to operating temperature, Climate does not dictate viscosity.

There will probably never be an ic road vehicle engine that will *require* a 0W8 oil. I can only imagine what fuel dilution and extended oci would do to that oil.

Originally Posted by Olas
And climate doesn't dictate V@100C. It used to years ago.

If climate does not dictate viscosity, would you use 0w8 in the Australian outback?
How would you feel about Penrite 40w70 in the Arctic Circle?

You know as well as anybody on this forum that viscosity reduces as temperature increases, so we have no alternative but to select viscosity based on climate.

If 0w8 was spec'd by the vehicle I'd be fine with it, no vehicle I know of is spec'd for 40w70 and if it was and you needed it in the arctic you'd probably have an appropriate block heater. The operating temp of the oil should be the same regardless of climate as it is largely dependent on what thermostat is used in the cooling system.

Originally Posted by tig1
Possibly the real problem may be hoarding oil.

Buying oil you really don't have any long term need for is a problem. But I do think there's nothing wrong with a reasonable stash of vehicle appropriate oils..

Last edited:
back in the 90's my piston engine instructor in A&P school gave the analogy that mixing oils weights was like mixing ball diameters in a ball bearing, it wont work as well as a single oil.

weather that applies to automotive oil 25 years later I don't know, automotive oil has changed a lot, but regardless I wont be mixing oil weights.

It didn't apply in the 90s. I was doing blending since the mid-80s and it never hurt a thing. Every vehicle that went to the junkyard had a dangerous, rusted body and a near perfect, clean engine.

Originally Posted by Olas
Yes, I would use a 0w-8 in OZ if the engine required it. No on the 70 in the north. That's the problem. People think they need a 40 in their 20 application because they live in the Desert.

I think you're falling into a semantic trap. The engine oil required by the engine is determined by climate because climate dictates viscosity.

Also, the Arctic is a desert and nobody up there thinks 40 is better thn 20, do they?

Oh my 475 HP BBC with .0025" rod and mains clear, narrowed chamfered bearings, forged pistons and chrome rings - viscosity isn't dictated by climate. If you are starting cold you MUST heat the oil and block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back