Treated fence stain or paint?

I have 190 foot of treated fencing that was put up last year. The lumber (5/4 yellow pine) is now fully dry and I'd like to make it look nice by either a dark stain or dark paint.

Any recommendations or first hand experience?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Marco620
Stain.
What type of wood?

Some woods do better with water based some with oil.

The fencing is 5/4 yellow pine wood decking that you wold purchase from Lowes or Home Depot.

Originally Posted by dja4260
I have 190 foot of treated fencing that was put up last year. The lumber (5/4 yellow pine) is now fully dry and I'd like to make it look nice by either a dark stain or dark paint.

Any recommendations or first hand experience?

Penofin Stain. Been using it on my deck since 1994. I've only retreated it twice since. Probably due for another coat this summer. So it's good for at least eight years.
Google it for best retail location near you.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Penofin Stain. Been using it on my deck since 1994. I've only retreated it twice since. Probably due for another coat this summer. So it's good for at least eight years.
Google it for best retail location near you.

Been using Penofin for over 25 years. It's the best. See the redwood tables I built.

Scott

IMG_0281.jpg

I'm sure I have that much
Once a year I use a pump up sprayer or roller and Thompson water seal ... the better one which I believe is acrylic instead of oil. I get about 15-20 years out of a fence

This is the first time I've heard of Penofin. I need to rebuild a deck soon, which product in particular would work well for pressure treated wood?

Always heard pressure treated wood needs time to rest-set-dry-something before you stain it.

How much time nobody in my world seems to know.

Too bad they don't use pressure treatments which are already colored. They could offer dark brown (live with that) or light wood color (generic yellow or tan) which you could stain over.

Use a stain. For solid color stain I like Benjamin Moore Arborcoat. For clear I like Penofin.

It depends on your goal. If you want it to age gracefully and can accept a weathered look, then stain it and let it go longer.

If you want the wood to last the longest, use an oil based high solids paint which blocks MUCH more UV. It will need repainted more often to look pretty, but will also have more preservation from the oil in the paint. Hint: If you pick a color similar to the underlying wood color, it will look acceptable longer.

Two basic choices: film finish (paint) and penetrating finish (stain)

Film finishes have more even color, protect wood better, but require more prep for good adhesion and require recoating periodically.

Penetrating finishes can be absorbed unevenly by pine, resulting in color blotches, and don't protect wood as well, but they don't chip or flake and are easier to retouch.

Go with a stain.

Back