How fussy are you when buying a new vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. It must have 2/3 doors
2. must be performance or driver oriented
3. Preference of VIN to start with 1,2,4,5,6,7. K,J,and W would be a compromise, and L is a "Unless you are paying me, No Deal"

First consideration is price .

In addition , if my Wife is going to drive it ( and she will ) , it must have an automatic transmission , A/C , heat , PS & PB . And have sufficient room for 2 plump senior citizens .

Good MPG also helps . Which is one reason I have not purchased a pick up truck , yet . I still drive a company truck .

First of all -- I am 6ft 3in going 240 lbs -- I need comfort right from the get go. With my blood/sweat and tears going into payments; safety and quality are my first preference besides comfort.

Dale

Something that fits me with lots of leg room that will get me from point A to point B for no more than $30,000. There are plenty of vehicles that will get that job done.

How fussy are you when buying a new vehicle? I buy Toyota's so... not very.

- No CVT, only 6 speed auto or more.
- No turbo.
- Front wheel drive.
- Regular old school thermostat (my 11 cruze was eating termostats like skiddles, they were electronic ones...)
- Comfortable interior.
- good sound system.
- no leather seats.
- no 17 or 18 inche wheels, I stick with 16 inches with higher sidewall, where I live, lots of people bend rims and it cost a lot.
- I like rear drums, but not really essential ( I never replace rear drums on all the cars I have owned).
- easy access to spark plugs.
- spin on filters (hate cannister)

the choices are limited, I went with a mazda 3 6 speed auto, 2.0 L. the only thing I dont like, is the GDI, but doest seems to be a problem with the skyactive engines.

Originally Posted by supton

This thread is about new vehicle purchases. Plus, vehicles today are built a whole lot different than your three outdated Toyotas that you list in your Signature.
Did you buy those three new? Since your love is the Toyota name, how did you choose one model over the other?..... just like this topic asks?

If you arrived here just to be sarcastic and bought those Toyotas used, then no need to reply.

I love all the responses BTW. Folks have 1M different reasons why they chose the vehicle they did and nobody cited brand loyalty (other that Supton) as the reason.

Depends on what I'm looking to buy.

Fun car:
- Does it come in a manual? If not, is the trans the PDK or ZF 8-speed?
- Is it a driver-centric car?
- Does the steering feel and give you the proper feedback?
- Is it fast?
- If it's not fast:
- Is it relatively easy to work on? Am I going to have to remove half the bumper to replace the wiper fluid tank?
- Is the aftermarket parts mature and knowledgeable?
- Are modifications relatively affordable? If I buy say, a Fiat500 Abarth, is the aftermarket going to gouge my wallet out as if I bought a Ferrari?

For a daily:
- Reliable history
- Easy to work on; parts are cheap and used on other make/models.
- Good on gas, I expect at minimum 30mpg city (for a sedan)
- Wheels 17" or smaller on a sedan
- Good sound system. If not, how easy is it to rip apart the stock one so I can put my own in?
- Good visibility
- Manual 6-speed or traditional automatic only

Originally Posted by Pew

Fun car:

Interesting that you specifically mention Porsche's / ZF's PDK automated manual and NOT VW'S / Borg Warner's version of automated manual or BMW's / Getrag's DCT... and that you have ZF's conventional automatic in that grouping. I think I'd state the same as well; i.e I agree. Only thing is that the ZF conventional automatic very likely will have aftermarket service support, at least as time goes on. PDK... not so sure about that... PDK's sure work well when they are in good nick. $pendy, though, to replace.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by supton

This thread is about new vehicle purchases. Plus, vehicles today are built a whole lot different than your three outdated Toyotas that you list in your Signature.
Did you buy those three new? Since your love is the Toyota name, how did you choose one model over the other?..... just like this topic asks?

If you arrived here just to be sarcastic and bought those Toyotas used, then no need to reply.

I love all the responses BTW. Folks have 1M different reasons why they chose the vehicle they did and nobody cited brand loyalty (other that Supton) as the reason.

You love all the responses yet I have no need to reply?

I did buy one of the Toyota's new. It was bought for its reliability and low TCO, long cruising range, 4 doors and manual transmission. No other considerations. It does nothing outside of that well.

I bought my truck as a CPO, so it was not new: it was 3 years old with 73k on it, but as a CPO I viewed it as having a 4 year / 27k warranty. Close enough to new for me. It was bought to be a 4 door pickup with 4 wheel drive and modest towing capacity; TCO wasn't really considered, but its name plate hinted at it. It likewise does nothing well, and has had a couple of repairs to boot, and it's running costs make me sad--I wish I had gone a different direction now.

The last one was bought as a cheap runabout, and was expected to need a bunch of repairs--but was to have a low TCO. It's beat up, slow, leaks oil, is loud on the highway.

All three are kept around as the numbers crunching says this is the best thing to do.

If that's not the definition of "not fussy" then I'm not sure what is.
21.gif

In roughly 38 years of owning cars, I've only bought two new ones.

I carefully selected: make, model, power train, tow package, trim package, interior/exterior color.

Is that picky?

Don't know. I know I've been very happy with both of those vehicles.

At 63 years of age I fear I'm turning into a geezer; I find myself attracted to a Stinger GTS; I normally wouldn't be considering an AWD car, but-like the current M5 and E63 S- the GTS has a Drift Mode that sends 100% of the power to the rear axle(which is equipped with a manual limited slip differential). It's a tick slower than my 2er, but you can't have everything. Kia only built 800 so I wouldn't see myself coming and going either.
It's refreshing to find another AWD car that isn't primarily designed to placate the knuckleheads who think AWD or FWD is a mandatory requirement for driving on wet pavement.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Originally Posted by Pew

Fun car:

Interesting that you specifically mention Porsche's / ZF's PDK automated manual and NOT VW'S / Borg Warner's version of automated manual or BMW's / Getrag's DCT... and that you have ZF's conventional automatic in that grouping. I think I'd state the same as well; i.e I agree. Only thing is that the ZF conventional automatic very likely will have aftermarket service support, at least as time goes on. PDK... not so sure about that... PDK's sure work well when they are in good nick. $pendy, though, to replace.

ZF transmissions are incredible.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B

ZF transmissions are incredible.

I agree 100%. The 8HP in my 2 Series is amazing. On the track it shifts when and where I would 99% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back