2016 Toyota Sequoia 75W-90 vs 75w-85

So I just picked up a 2016 Toyota Sequoia 4x4 with 197K miles (previous owner apparently drove a lot)

we will be doing occasional heavy towing, I move a lot for work and tow a large enclosed trailer. the rest of the time its a grocery getter and kid hauler and the wife's primary vehicle.

Given the miles I want to baseline all the fluids to fresh synthetic,

issue is the diffs and transfer case

front and rear diffs call for a total of 3.81 qts of 75w-85 GL-5
the transfer case call for 1.43qt of 75w-90 GL-5

I am annoyed by the slightly different viscosity, part of me just wants to stock one fluid,

we are in Florida and I would think I could get away with 75w-90 in all 3 compartments with probably some small imperceptible decrease in fuel efficiency being the worst effect, but I am open to ideas

I am looking at red-line, I have used it in the past long term with good results, their 75w-90 is 16 cst at 100c and the 75w-85 is 12 cst at 100c, 40c is 112cst vs 68cst

thoughts? stock two diffrent fluids? run all 90wt? run all 85wt

I have always gone with 75w90 over the 75w85 in my previous cars/trucks differentials, that called for it. Zero issues...150,000 of driving, no problems whatsoever.

I have used Redline, Mobil 1 and Valvoline. Didn't notice any sort of difference between any of them.

Last edited:
I think you're fine using 75W90 in all three. Your truck is a lot like mine underneath. I used 75W90 AMSOIL in the front and rear differentials. No worries.

Originally Posted by RavenTai

we are in Florida and I would think I could get away with 75w-90 in all 3 compartments with probably some small imperceptible decrease in fuel efficiency being the worst effect, but I am open to ideas

You have answered your own question.

Consider yourself lucky that your transfer case takes 75w90.

Many Toyotas (including my own 4Runner) use a straight 75w in the transfer case, which raises a whole lot of questions in itself.

If it was mine, 75w90 in all without hesitation.

Originally Posted by dippschtick
Consider yourself lucky that your transfer case takes 75w90.

Many Toyotas (including my own 4Runner) use a straight 75w in the transfer case, which raises a whole lot of questions in itself.

If it was mine, 75w90 in all without hesitation.

I actually just earlier today read about that straight 75wt that costs $50-100 per qt that is used in some years, apparently if equipped with a borg warner transfer case. but at least for 2016 both the owners manual that came with the truck and the one online call for 75w-90 GL-5

page 519 https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM34574U/pdf/OM34574U.pdf

Originally Posted by Astro14
I think you're fine using 75W90 in all three. Your truck is a lot like mine underneath. I used 75W90 AMSOIL in the front and rear differentials. No worries.

They are almost identical from the firewall forward, I see you are running 5w-30, I have been running M1 10w-30 in all my Toyota's for years, all older, newest until now being a 99 LS400, I am currently looking for a Toyota recommended engine oil weight for temperature chart for the 5.7 3UR-FE from outside the US, I feel the 0w-20 is for CAFE reasons only, have you found any such date?

for earlier years there was a caveat for high temperature or heaver loads heavier oils could be used (same motor) but my 2016 has no such carve out for the same engine. I would love to see what Toyota says when not HAM strung by CAFE regulations.

Last edited:
I've been running Mobli One 75W-90 in my Sequoia's front, center, rear diff for many years and miles. No problems. You will love the Sequoia. It is built like a tank.

^^^ Same here. M1 75w-90 in all three and never look back.... 157,000 miles and counting and never paid much attention to the Toyota's meandering viscosity requirements.

As others have said 75w-90 would be fine but in your case of heavy towing I would use 75w-140 in the rear. I'm using the SuperTech syn version of 75w-140 in my 4Runner with no problems or hits on MPG.

ka9mnx is on to something. Only I would go to 75w-110 in the diffs and 75w-90 in the Transfer case.

You said heavy towing...

And I wouldn't stock any fluid. I'd get just what I needed and be done for 50K. If you are using RL or Amsoil SG
you will be fine.

I run 75w-110 in all my vehicles. It is what used to be the thicker end of the old 75w-90 viscosity range.

I wound up going with all 75w-90, Thank you all for the replies, i figured it would be OK but wanted to check in with the hive mind first. I hate finding out things the hard way.

I was originally thinking Redline as I have had redline in my LS 400 for about a decade but with just a single sump to fill the cost is a lot easier to swallow. for this gallon and a half purchace the price was more of a sting, found a decent price on Mobil Delvac 1 at about $10/qt after shipping, for a synthetic that gets good reviews here, just ordered 2 gallons,

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-122035-1

still all over the place on engine oil, I was up to speed on this stuff 15 years ago, a lot has changed.

Re 110/140, I will be doing occational heavy towing but it will be occasional, once a year kind of thing, not sure if I want to go that far from spec, although given the climate it probably would not cause harm. The majority of its use will be kid hauling (3 here and a fourth on the way)

Last edited:
Back