What would be the best way to send and receive Mp3 files of several gigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
What OS for sending and receiving? If either one or both is MacOS (or linux) you can point to point securely copy the files using WinSCP on windows and the sshd service utility on the Mac.

The Mac would either need to be put in a DMZ or have port forwarding set up on the home router.

As with most things if you are windows to windows you are SOL and have to use a third party service

If you want to do this as an exercise in freeing yourself from the bonds of third party observers, just post it up here and a bunch of people will walk you thru it.

What is preventing WinSCP from working on Windows?

Also, you could use a free version of TeamViewer or AnyDesk, but I am not sure how effective these are at large file transfers.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
I did two different speed test of my home Wifi. The slowest download is 128.66 Mbs, and the slowest upload is 11.6 Mbs. At that rate I could upload 5.07 Gig in 437 seconds, about 7.5 minutes.

Nope

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by JOD
https://wetransfer.com/

2GB is free, just break it into 3rds.

This. We use it to send the radio broadcast to the radio station.

yeah, I use it for giant cad files. great tool.

You just have to not forget to download it pretty quickly on the free version, or the files disappear.

One time event, mail a flash CARD like SD or espeically mSD, better if taped to a piece of paper. A card can go in a 55 cent postage envelope. USB flash drive, not so much. Maybe the thinnest of them.

Multiple, multi-GB trading events, Google drive with them broken up into a couple GB groups, use zip or winrar to group files into these 2GB groups, "store" mode not compressed, and password protect if you want but a quick trial could tell you if google flags the most popular ones you're sending.

Doing this many times back and forth, I'd go with bittorrent, P2P via IP (assuming IP stays static for a reasonable period of time if not a permanent IP) not tracker uploaded to a sharing site if it's copyrighted content. There is a learning curve, but enough advantages to make it worth the bother.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I would do thumb drive sent through mail.

A few TB maybe, a few GB you can just send it through network easily.

Do not zip the files, ask me how I know. And compressing mp3 doesn't really save any space, just makes it easier to download the files.

That said, google drive is an easiest option but it will zip the files at the time of download. There are similar other options or P2P applications where you can easily transfer but I agree with someone that mentioned mailing a flash drive. I say mailing an SD card, no hassles whatsoever 5 days and you should get it.

Our corporate OneDrive is unlimited so I can upload megasize files and send links.

Amazon S3 could also work if your brother is a data nerd.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Do not zip the files, ask me how I know.
Why?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Do you have a band? What kind've music do you play?
Huh? What's that got to do with anything?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Do you have a band? What kind've music do you play?
Huh? What's that got to do with anything?
smile.gif

Because we are interested in Jim's music hobby.

Originally Posted by wag123
Use FTP. Setup password protected FTP servers and clients on your own home computers. Use binary mode.
https://www.wired.com/2010/02/ftp_for_beginners/

At a quick glance, these instructions are incomplete. It doesn't mention anything about opening the required ports on the router and forwarding them to FTP server.
You are right, of course. I was looking for a web page that explained it and was easy to understand. It is obviously not complete and he needs to do more research, but it is a descent place to start. There are a LOT of resources available that go into the mechanics of setting-up FTP. It is THE way to do what he is wanting to do IMO.

Use FTP. Setup password protected FTP servers and clients on your own home computers. Use binary mode.
https://www.wired.com/2010/02/ftp_for_beginners/

At a quick glance, these instructions are incomplete. It doesn't mention anything about opening the required ports on the router and forwarding them to FTP server.
You are right, of course. I was looking for a web page that explained it and was easy to understand. It is obviously not complete and he needs to do more research, but it is a descent place to start. There are a LOT of resources available that go into the mechanics of setting-up FTP. It is THE way to do what he is wanting to do IMO.

I'd say it really depends on one's comfort level and computer/networking knowledge. A lot of it can be overwhelming for an average consumer. If it's just a one-time thing, dropping a mini-SD card in the mail may be a lot simpler.

Otherwise, using the wetransfer.com service that was linked to earlier should be very easy, as long as the OP and his brother are willing to move it in 2 GB chunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back