Hard time selling my vehicle.....

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by JTK
Unless I missed it, I don't see a price in the ad? I realize you've mentioned that ~$3700-5300 range here, but what are you willing to take for it?

The ad says $3,900.

Oops. Yep. I see the price now!

As clean as it looks and knowing what some hoopties go for around me, I'm surprised no-one has offered even a $2500 low ball. I haven't owned a Jeep product in over 20yrs and I know this vintage Liberty wasn't Jeep's finest moment, but I thought they were pretty sorted out by 2010?

If that sucker runs, drives and operates properly with no CEL, good brakes and tires, how could it not be worth $3000?

Maybe if it was a Crown Vic with Michelins....

Last edited:
No rust is a plus, 150K miles is a lot for almost $4K-that kind of money would bring a mint condition one. CL seems to be a wasteland as of late, and a lot of scammers seem to have moved to FB Marketplace, I agree on Auto Trader or even cars.com or edmunds.com. Drop your price a little, to like $3500, and you might get lucky. I agree with the posters above, now is not a real good time to be selling anything.

Probably because it's an undesirable car with 150k on it.

Most people shopping in that category want reliability. They don't necessarily care about cleanliness.

My friend has sold countless rusty Civics in that price range with similar mileage. It's all about what you're selling.

Also your pictures aren't that great. You need HD pictures so people can see the paint and whatever defects it has.

Sorry, it's a Jeep Liberty on Craigslist. No one is looking for that particular vehicle they will settle for it only if it's cheap. Jeep Wranglers are the only Jeeps that sell for decent money used.

That's a nice Jeep. I think the problem is where you are listing it. Craiglist and Facebook marketplace are only populated by cheapskates. Try selling on cars.com or ebay. Ebay is cheap and you reach millions of people. Do an auction with a buy-it now price. Starting bid at, say $3300 and buy-it now at like $3900...then see what happens

It is fine to list a vehicle for what you HOPE for initially, but then you must drop the price if you don't get bites in the first week, and you should include "OBO", and you should not go by KBB which in recent years is more of a dealer negotiating tool than a real market value. What other specimens are listed for, is just evidence of others not selling due to the high price.

The pictures are terrible, you need better lighting unless you are trying to hide body damage and if so they'll see that damage anyway when they go to see it. If it does have body damage more than minor nicks and dings, mark it down to $2500 now and go from there.

I'd lower the price to $3400 OBO, then lower it again each week depending on how much of a hurry you're in to sell. I hate the interior color, but if it were a different interior color and I was more familiar with Jeep Liberties and in the market, I'd considering paying $3K for that if an in person inspection didn't reveal any significant unmentioned issues.

Rather than your list of things done to it, I'd be more interested in whether you "have maintenance/repair receipts", even if you don't have 100% of them, having most is far better than assuming you don't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
4) Insert 'tags' at the bottom of your listing. Ford, Chevrolet, Honda, Toyota, Diesel, Hybrid, Truck, Harley you will get more eyes on your prize.

Please don't do this. It just makes search results unreliable and full of a bunch of BS.

I went to CL Erie and input 2008-2012, 4wd, $5k max and there's not much to be had. Also looked on Autotrader, he's not out of line on the price either place. It's Erie, a decent 4wd priced correctly should sell.

Drop the new heater core in the ad it adds nothing, take new photos on a high overcast no sunshine day or turn the car so you're not shooting into the sun and getting bad glare. It matters. Show the flaws.

You might have to drop the price til you sell it and make a note not to flip Liberties.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Also send a pm to Atkovi. He sells vehicles every week.

Where did you get that idea? I average maybe 2 a month if I'm lucky, but have only sold 4 in the last 6 months. I don't do quick flips, I go through them top to bottom which takes time. I prefer quality over volume.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Sorry, it's a Jeep Liberty on Craigslist. No one is looking for that particular vehicle they will settle for it only if it's cheap. Jeep Wranglers are the only Jeeps that sell for decent money used.

The XJ does too. The older GC are starting to creep up in price too. The REAL jeeps.

Take new pictures. With that snow in the background people think it's a stale ad, "Why hasn't it sold after so many months"? Always take exterior pictures in full sun but with the sun BEHIND your back. Even if you have to move the car after every other shot. For interior shots is best to shoot on a cloudy day so there are no distracting shadows. Add a pic of the rear and some of the interior with the seats folded to show how much stuff it can carry. Get up on a step ladder and take a shot of the pano roof. Renew the ad every 2 weeks even if it costs you another fiver, again because it seems stale. If you're in no hurry to sell, I'd leave the price as it is, it's not unrealistic and you'll still get $2500 offers. Drop it to $3K and you attract $1200 offers. Mention if you're the original or maybe 2nd owner, if it has a clean carfax and all the manuals. Also put the VIN in the ad.

Can you park it in a safe and highly visible spot for passing traffic to see? Another idea is consignment sales.

Me, I would trade it in for a crazy good deal you can get right now on new vehicles. Even if they give you little for it the new car prices are low, and the dealerships are very hungry. They will want to make a deal work for you. Good luck.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Me, I would trade it in for a crazy good deal you can get right now on new vehicles.

He bought this Jeep to flip and make a few bucks. How does buying anything new help?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by gfh77665
Me, I would trade it in for a crazy good deal you can get right now on new vehicles.

He bought this Jeep to flip and make a few bucks. How does buying anything new help?

Also based on asking prices I haven't seen a single crazy good deal.

Asking prices have been pretty stable and home prices have edged up slightly

You presented your add similiar to what a dealer would posing as a private seller on C.L. The price is reasonable. However, there are way too many pics and too much fluff reading like a dealer would do..You listed all the details like the new car window label would have listed. All that stuff is irrelevent on a 10 year old vehicle. Keep it simple and brief. You are making it sound like you have the best specimen in the state. I wouldn't take your slide show presentation too seriously and would continue looking.

Last edited:
So, the take away:
-Lower price... (i have just a very minor amount of wiggle room, not enough to make it worth a reduction but will consider.)
-Better pics.. Completely agree! Now that daylight savings is in effect, for sure!
-Highlight flaws in the ad rather than in person. Agree!
-Fix ad to reflect 150,000 - done!
-You guys sure the nasty bumper cover is worth doing a photo on? It looks horrific the way the filller cracked.
-Yes I have two hot zones to park it, and alternate every week.

Originally Posted by Fordiesel69
-You guys sure the nasty bumper cover is worth doing a photo on? It looks horrific the way the filller cracked.

So you'd rather waste people's time to come out and see the vehicle, only to find that out upon arrival? If that messed up bumper doesn't turn them away, then the thought of you possibly hiding other such 'surprises' surely will.

If you don't want to take a photo of it, then at least you should describe the extent of the damage, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and you already have a lot of words in that ad.

it'd make a good car for a student, high school or college, and the price, I think, is fair-ish for that, if you are willing for folks to bring the price down some.

I'd think right now, folks are wanting to keep cash tight.

Another consideration is, there are a lot of folks right now who have probably lost their jobs or at least lost their pay. They aren't buying cars right now.

If I can get a paint mask I will probably spend the 3-4 hrs to fix the rear bumper cover. the way it cracked out, it lookes jagged and frankly might be the single reason people walk. Body shops in my areas are known to charge 700-1800 to fix a bumper cover when it really should be even with good paint a 300 dollar job. I know I can do the job for about $60 in materials, and about 4hrs of time and get a decent result. Imagine if I actually had the professional skills and speed and could have it done in less then 2 hrs,

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Fordiesel69

So you'd rather waste people's time to come out and see the vehicle, only to find that out upon arrival? If that messed up bumper doesn't turn them away, then the thought of you possibly hiding other such 'surprises' surely will.

If you don't want to take a photo of it, then at least you should describe the extent of the damage, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and you already have a lot of words in that ad.

Agreed. When I'm looking at a car, I'm walking if there are any surprises.

Back