Rock Auto/FedEx essential services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late Friday afternoon, after a quick, essential trip back from HyVee, I heard scraping noise coming from a front wheel. That night I ordered pads and rotors from RA. They just arrived. Ordered 3/20 arrived 3/24 11 AM. They came direct from Power Stop in Bedford Park which is about 80 miles from here. When I placed the order I was not aware of the statewide shutdown ordered by Gov. Pritzker that took place 5 PM Saturday 3/21. So glad they here. No work for at least 3 more weeks but I knew I'd need them soon.

Auto parts and liquor stores are essential businesses in NJ. They are still open.

HVAC repair and installation is apparently non-essential in PA and HVAC people are laid off.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Auto parts and liquor stores are essential businesses in NJ. They are still open.

HVAC repair and installation is apparently non-essential in PA and HVAC people are laid off.

The fact that states or DHS considers liquor stores "essential" is a f****** joke ! I mean, I get it that people like to drink alcohol but no.... In Ohio, I thought that service contractors like HVAC, plumbing, etc were considered essential. In this case, it sounds like PA is implementing stricter criteria than DHS in some cases.

HVAC work involves going inside people's homes, supplying auto parts or liquor does not.

If you shut down all the drive-thru liquor stores/restaurants in Ohio, COVID would be the least of the governor's worries. Would YOU want to deal with a bunch of upset, hungry, sober Catholic farmers with pickups and gun racks in them? Me neither.
lol.gif

Liquor stores are considered to be convenient stores here in the Land of Lincoln hence they open. Dealer service departments are open, sales by appointment only. Don't know about AZ AAP or NAPA. Haven't neededem.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
If you shut down all the drive-thru liquor stores/restaurants in Ohio, COVID would be the least of the governor's worries. Would YOU want to deal with a bunch of upset, hungry, sober Catholic farmers with pickups and gun racks in them? Me neither.
lol.gif

What does "Catholic farmers" got to do with anything? Are they the only ones with "pickups and gun racks"?

Enquiring minds would like to know

My gas stove broke, was the igniter. Went to several brick & mortar appliance stores, none had the darn part.

Ordered from Amazon, part came ASAP. Back making cookies.

Lucky to have this infrastructure.

Was looking over guidelines for workers. Plumbers and electricians are considered essential services but apparently HVAC is not mentioned as essential.

There are many alcoholics in America, shutting down the liquor stores would also lead to a rush of people showing withdrawal at the hospitals. Sad truth to the liquor store necessity.

Originally Posted by Audios
There are many alcoholics in America, shutting down the liquor stores would also lead to a rush of people showing withdrawal at the hospitals. Sad truth to the liquor store necessity.

And theft, and bootleg liquor. Even without a pandemic there are "shot houses," those did not go away with the end of prohibition, at least in the south.

I'm still going to work, since I sell auto parts. The car showroom was closed today, appointment only tomorrow.

This. For some the withdrawl and DT's can be deadly. Otherwise they'd need to roam the streets looking for benzos to self medicate, with a new set of additional risks.

As much as Governor Cuomo has gotten credit for being a leader in shutting things down, the list of essential services in NY is a pretty long one at that.

Originally Posted by Dave9

This. For some the withdrawl and DT's can be deadly. Otherwise they'd need to roam the streets looking for benzos to self medicate, with a new set of additional risks.

Yes, many stories of people who die if they try to go cold turkey. I've known of a few people that were alcoholics. They were always broke. One guy told me he use to drink a bottle of whiskey ever night. Basically rum and coke every night. At one point he told me cut back to half a bottle a night.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

The fact that states or DHS considers liquor stores "essential" is a f****** joke ! I mean, I get it that people like to drink alcohol but no.... In Ohio, I thought that service contractors like HVAC, plumbing, etc were considered essential. In this case, it sounds like PA is implementing stricter criteria than DHS in some cases.

We have a friend who works at a golf cart place and is deemed essential. She is an oral hygienist and is none essential although it's my understanding they're still handling dental emergencies. To me, all jobs are essential so I'm not too fond of the term, but how one place can remain open while another closes escapes me.

I'm thankful parts stores are remaining open.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

We have a friend who works at a golf cart place and is deemed essential. She is an oral hygienist and is none essential although it's my understanding they're still handling dental emergencies. To me, all jobs are essential so I'm not too fond of the term, but how one place can remain open while another closes escapes me.

I'm thankful parts stores are remaining open.

Well I'm in real estate and we were declared non essential although we still have some home sales in the works. The law offices are still open and so is the registry so we can still get to the closing. Although things like the city water department or fire department to issue smoke/carbon monoxide certificates are intermittently open and closed. So right now we were told we couldn't meet clients in the office because we're closed, but we could meet them offsite. So maybe we're not really closed? I have all the cleaning supplies and the bathroom to wash up in the office but I guess probably not a bathroom offsite as pretty much most alternate places like restaurants are closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back